"BugEater" Diamond K9000 Test

Share your communications gear installations here.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

"BugEater" Diamond K9000 Test

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:15 am

I decided to do a temporary install of my Diamond K9000 Mount to see if it worked OK before I hardwire it when I remove my rack for the lighting wiring. The mount is where it will stay (if all is well) but I have the wiring temporarily in place.

Had some reception issues at first but I got that figured out. HAd a loose fitting. We'll see how it does for vibration in the next few days.

The mount comes wired with a switch and 12V aux plug. I'm holding the switch and you can see the plug plugged in on the console.

So far it looks good. It sets well below my lights and into my rack for protection. If my rack fits, it will fit. Sorry for the grainy pictures... lighting wasn't the best.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

traveltoad
Call Sign: KI6BCA

Re: "BugEater" Diamond K9000 Test

Post by traveltoad » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:29 am

A friend of mine has had one of these for a while with no problems.
2003 LR Discovery
2007 KTM 950R

Matchmaker of Homes and People
http://www.aaronshrier.com

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:24 am

Looking good Ollie. I may consider one of those myself.

Major dilema now for you is where to mount the switch. Last I checked, you were completely out of room in your cab. :geek:

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:34 am

traveltoad wrote:A friend of mine has had one of these for a while with no problems.
I was inspired by NotAMog's install. :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:38 am

sdnative wrote:Looking good Ollie. I may consider one of those myself.

Major dilema now for you is where to mount the switch. Last I checked, you were completely out of room in your cab. :geek:
After looking at Larry's rig, I realized I have more than enough acrage for more switches. :shock:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Ollie (K6JYB) wrote:After looking at Larry's rig, I realized I have more than enough acrage for more switches. :shock:
Who needs passengers when you could be using the space for electronic gizmos !!!

Looks like that mount will solve you clearance problem. Now you've got me considering it for my dual band antenna - It sticks up way above my rack, and gets hammered on the trails (it's got a bend to the side now). I'll have to check and see what the other mount options are for attaching it to my light bar assembly...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:48 pm

cruiserlarry wrote: I'll have to check and see what the other mount options are for attaching it to my light bar assembly...
The one you'll want is the rack mount. It's essentially two pieces of angle iron that clamp around the bar to hold it in place.

I noticed today that the motor actually has a built in shock absorbing system so that when the antenna is hit the motor will absorb some of the blow allowing some give. The antenna then springs back into place. I think I'm going to like it... :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:49 pm

It shouldn't be too hard to find a place to mount the switch but hiding the wire may be more difficult. The switch that comes with the K9000 is a small surface mount unit. I took one apart to see how it was wired while doing my installation. I thought that it was a cheap membrane switch but was impressed to find out it used two high quality micro switches. I thought about using it but it was easier for me to mount a standard switch. I can reach it more quickly without looking to lower the antennas.

You would think that a military vehicle would have lots of places to mount electronic toys but the Pinzgauer is very short on space. If it were not for the overhead console I'd have as much trouble finding places to mount stuff as a new vehicle.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:02 pm

NotAMog wrote:It shouldn't be too hard to find a place to mount the switch but hiding the wire may be more difficult. The switch that comes with the K9000 is a small surface mount unit. I took one apart to see how it was wired while doing my installation. I thought that it was a cheap membrane switch but was impressed to find out it used two high quality micro switches. I thought about using it but it was easier for me to mount a standard switch. I can reach it more quickly without looking to lower the antennas.
I will be posting a question about this in your thread. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

Return to “COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT INSTALLATION”