Event Report for Redondo Beach Meet & Greet

Our Annual Meet and Greet will be at this new location in Redondo Beach. A great setting to get together.
edzz
Call Sign: w6pnz

Re: Event Report for Redondo Beach Meet & Greet

Post by edzz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Was a pleasure meeting everyone at the meet and greet.
Many thanks to those who helped get my radio and computer talking with ui-view, now all I have to do is find some more appropriate maps for it.

Ed W6PNZ

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:29 pm

It was great to meet some people and put faces with the names, and to catch up with those of you I have had the pleasure to meet in the past.
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm

edzz wrote:Was a pleasure meeting everyone at the meet and greet.
Many thanks to those who helped get my radio and computer talking with ui-view, now all I have to do is find some more appropriate maps for it.

Ed W6PNZ
If you want a moving map display, you'll need Precision Maps. They just released version 9.0...takes a little work to get it going (although the directions on ui-view.org with help you get it done), but it is the only map set that works in a moving display. You can capture map images to use from almost any map source, but that works one screen at a time...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
edzz wrote:Was a pleasure meeting everyone at the meet and greet.

Ed W6PNZ
If you want a moving map display, you'll need Precision Maps. They just released version 9.0...takes a little work to get it going (although the directions on ui-view.org with help you get it done), but it is the only map set that works in a moving display. You can capture map images to use from almost any map source, but that works one screen at a time...

Actually, you can make your own maps that will move as you travel. In fact I have made maps from both USGS Topo maps and PA7RHM (free) for all of our trips that cover all the highways and trails that we will take (from LA to Utah). With UIV, your position will be centered on the screen and the map will move as you travel. It is a simple matter to make maps, but they must be calibrated (an easy procedure). Once you make them, you will not have to do so again.

I can send you some samples, if you would like.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:28 pm

It was great to see all the hearty souls on Saturday.

Many thanks to all who braved the rain to have a good time. Thanks also to:

1. Our VEs who administered one of the most unique testing sessions ever - Hector, Jon, Larry, Michael and Ollie. You won't find another group that will offer an opportunity to get licensed or to upgrade in the locations that we do or under the conditions that we saw on Saturday. Some good pre-event planning sure paid off there. For once, we were prepared for the worst of the storm at the time when we needed it most - when people were taking the test. Between two large waterproof popups, with full side enclosures, heaters and plenty of tables and chairs, we were dry, warm, wind free, and comfortable.

2. All who brought equipment. The popups, chairs and tables made for a very pleasant day.

3. Tim and his magic Dutch Oven. Tim's triple chocolate cake is ALWAYS a hit and Saturday was no exception. Having it prepared in front of us and served hot was one of the great highlights of the day.

4. All who brought their vehicles for display. The pictures here show what a great diversity of well equipped and interesting vehicles our members drive.

5. Ruby's Diner and the Marina Management Company for allowing us to have our event at that location.

Thanks!

VEHICLES
IMG_0155 (Large).JPG
IMG_0155 (Large).JPG (120.21 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
IMG_0156 (Large).JPG
IMG_0156 (Large).JPG (113.66 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
IMG_0157 (Large).JPG
IMG_0157 (Large).JPG (122.53 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
TESTING IN THE RAIN
IMG_0151 (Large).JPG
IMG_0151 (Large).JPG (91.15 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
IMG_0147 (Large).JPG
IMG_0147 (Large).JPG (82.92 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
IMG_0149 (Large).JPG
IMG_0149 (Large).JPG (64.23 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
IMG_0148 (Large).JPG
IMG_0148 (Large).JPG (83.08 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:15 am

New licenses have been posted on FCC.gov

Congratulations on the new licenses. :D

Return to “2012 Ruby's Diner Meet and Greet - Redondo Beach CA -March 17, 2012”