2012 BorregoFest Location Ideas

We'll plan our annual BorregoFest and amateur radio testing here. Wheeling, camping, and eating in the desert.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

2012 BorregoFest Location Ideas

Post by OLLIE » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:27 pm

We are looking for place to hold BorregoFest this year. Normally we reserve the campground for the following year when we check out of the campground the year prior. The camp site was already reserved when we checked out last year. Does anyone have any suggestions? We've used Palm Canyon in the past but the size of our group became a conflict. Any other suggestions? We're thinking of looking up in the Julian area but we're open to suggestions.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

BorregoWrangler

Re: 2012 BorregoFest Location Ideas

Post by BorregoWrangler » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:10 pm

I haven't been here but heard that Pinecrest Resort is nice. http://www.pinecrestretreat.com/

Here's a list of campgrounds around Julian.

http://www.julianca.com/camping/index.htm

I think the second largest campground in ABDSP is Tamarisk Grove, but I don't know if that would accommodate our size group.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Post by photojeeper » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Going to Julian defeats the name "BorregoFest". What about Blair Valley? Plenty of room and accessible; also gives you a reason to use all that expedition equipment because it is a "dry" area.

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:42 pm

I don't think camping up in Julian would defeat the name of the event. Gas would be a lot closer and its still close enough to AB to access the trails.

Of course there are plenty of primitive campsites down in the desert. Ocotillo Wells, Superstition Mountain, adjacent BLM lands, etc.
photojeeper wrote:What about Blair Valley?
That sounds interesting. I haven't been out there in a while so I'm not sure on the number of campsites or how they're arranged.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Post by photojeeper » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Blair Valley is wide open; I have seen big groups camping there. Check with the ABSP rangers. Or you go to Truckhaven where TDS has their event. Plenty of fuel at Hwy 86 and S-22 huge Arco station.

JJ

Oh BTW I tried to change my avatar and the page is blank. Tried it on my laptop with three browsers and on his PC and still nothing. Will try it on my MAC later. Can you inquire with the webmaster or someone? I tried other edits of my profile and they work.

Thanks,

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:43 am

I dont know the area well enough to suggest a specific place, but from when I have been down there, it seems there is plenty of room to just pick a spot in the desert and set up.
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:34 am

Crismateski wrote:I dont know the area well enough to suggest a specific place, but from when I have been down there, it seems there is plenty of room to just pick a spot in the desert and set up.
Unfortunately, that is frowned upon with groups larger than 3-5 vehicles...and with a crowd likely to be much larger than that, we are hoping for an area or facility that will offer guaranteed space, and maybe some additional facilities as well (restrooms, showers, firring / cooking area for potluck, etc...). So, for a planned event, we need to pick a place where we will have no issues when folks show up... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Post by taugust » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 pm

I don't think you would have a problem in Truckhaven (now part of Ocotillo Wells) or the north or south areas of OW. You might check with the authorities, but if you aren't charging admission, it's just a group of friends gathering, right? Plenty of open area, and near the developed part south (Main Street) there are showers, restrooms, and shade ramadas. I like the Tamarisk Grove CG too. It seems less used than the main side.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

Arkarch
Call Sign: KF6VOM

Post by Arkarch » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:03 am

Hi All,

Just had a find a convenient thread to pop in and note I may be down that way. The past few years I've had scheduling conflicts with my trips to Moab.

So, on camping... I'm not sure commercial or not its going to matter to the BLM when it comes to large groups on public land. Having a large group unannounced on Public Land is going to attract attention and that becomes a slippery slope into studies, permitting, and big fees. We have to do all that and its a year-round process. I dont know if BF has changed in size over the past few years, but working out of commercial campgrounds (like you had a few years back) keeps the full size of the group out of view - as each of the runs is fairly small and usual for the area.
2009 VR6 Alaska Gray VW Touareg + BFG 265/70/17's + Air Lift + 1 Locker
2006 V6 Colorado Red VW Touareg (Retired)
Images - http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Butterfield Ranch Resort sure was nice...

-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

Return to “2012 BorregoFest Event (October 19th - 21st, 2012)”