Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/hike - Saturday 10/20/12

We'll plan our annual BorregoFest and amateur radio testing here. Wheeling, camping, and eating in the desert.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/hike - Saturday 10/20/12

Post by DaveK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Anza Borrego Desert State Park is located just east of the town of Julian. Julian's origin began during in the gold rush days of the late 1800's. Remnants of these mines still exist today, some in quite good condition.

On Saturday I will be doing a run through a triangle of canyons comprised of Rodriguez, Chariot and Oriflamme. Contained within this area, and a bit outside, are several mines, all of which are on private property and almost all of which are fenced off. One of the top ten gold producing mines is in this area and the owner has given us permission to enter the property to view the the remnants of the operation, which by the way, are in very good condition, given their age (over 100 years). The 5 stamp mill, with wood frame, is still standing as is much of the machinery used for the operation. The owner (the grandson of the original owner in the 1800's) has offered to give us a tour and some history (the mine is now on his private ranch, which has been in his family for many, many years.)

We also have permission to visit the number two and number three top gold producing mines. Both have very impressive mines and machinery. There will be a surprise or two and information will be posted soon.

Each member of the tour will get a copy of the book "A good Camp" by Leland Fetzer (no charge). The book contains a great description of the history of the area as well as the mines that we will be visiting.

Please note:
-Rock rails will help as will under carriage protection. Expect brush scratches. All of the remaining OAUSA rules and regulations will be in place.
-We will stop for lunch at the midway point during the trip. Bring your lunch, drinks, and plenty of water.
-One of the mines will require wading through about a foot of water and waders or waterproof boots will help.

PLEASE NOTE:
1. No alcohol or drugs will be allowed during the trip.

2. This run requires a certain amount of physical ability. There is a short hike (approximately half mile) involved to reach one mine and a small climb up a dirt face to reach another.

We want to reserve this run for those who have not done it in the past. Depending on the sign-ups, there may be room for some second timers. The run is limited to 8 vehicles so as to minimize the impact on the private land we will use.
The trail through the canyons is easy for the most part. There may be a few sections of Rodriguez that are a little difficult but the reports so far seem to suggest that the park service "smoothed out" the road.

Lead: DaveK
Tail Gunner:
midsection:
Comms Designee: DaveK
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Meeting Time: 7:30 am
Meeting Place: Butterfield Ranch Resort Group Campsite
Departure Time: 8:00 am
2M Simplex: 145.570
2M Repeater: Laguna Mtn 147.150+ (PL: 107.2) & Monument 147.240+ (PL: 103.5)
APRS: We will be running ARPS on the National frequency

There will be 8 rig maximum for this run with a 3 rig wait list.

Signed Up:
1. DaveK
2. Eric and family
3. Cris
4. Daniel L.
5. Shellie and Steve
6. nickshammas
7. brentbba
8. Todd

Waiting list:

1. lehn20
2. skersfan
3. Jamie

PICTURES OF THE MINES

Ready Relief Mine
Ready Relief 1.jpg
Ready Relief 1.jpg (93.12 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Ready Relief 2.jpg
Ready Relief 2.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Ready Relief 3.jpg
Ready Relief 3.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Ranchita MIne
Ranchita 1.JPG
Ranchita 1.JPG (221.06 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Ranchita 2.jpg
Ranchita 2.jpg (100.97 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Ranchita 3.JPG
Ranchita 3.JPG (86.41 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Ranchita 4.JPG
Ranchita 4.JPG (99.05 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Ranchita 5.JPG
Ranchita 5.JPG (154.79 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Hubbard Mine
Hubbard 1.jpg
Hubbard 1.jpg (81.78 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Leland Fetzer's book "A Good Camp"
Attachments
A good Camp Cover 2.jpg
A good Camp Cover 2.jpg (42.15 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

sdnative

Re: Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/hike - Saturday 10/20/12

Post by sdnative » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:24 pm

Dave,

please put me on the list, although not 100% sure I can make it yet. Is this a kid-friendly run?

Yes, Rodriguez canyon has been "smoothed", and it is about as challenging as Chariot now (not at all). There are a couple of optional rock gardens however.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:59 pm

sdnative wrote:Dave,

please put me on the list, although not 100% sure I can make it yet. Is this a kid-friendly run?

Yes, Rodriguez canyon has been "smoothed", and it is about as challenging as Chariot now (not at all). There are a couple of optional rock gardens however.

Eric:

Welcome. You and the family are logged in. I'd say that it is kid friendly, as much as any other desert activity is. There is one climb that younger children probably won't want to do, but is a not a large part of the trip.
DaveK
K6DTK

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:34 pm

I think I am already signed up for a run at this time, but this sounds like to good of an opportunity to pass up. Please sign me up
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Crismateski wrote:I think I am already signed up for a run at this time, but this sounds like to good of an opportunity to pass up. Please sign me up

Cris:

Welcome. You're logged in.
DaveK
K6DTK

dlichterman
Call Sign: KD6DL

Post by dlichterman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Any idea how difficult the moderate sections are? I'll only have 32's and open diffs. If not too bad(no worse than the calcite mine rd from this last weekend I think I would rather do this run to see something new. If anything I wouldn't mind riding with someone else.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 pm

dlichterman wrote:Any idea how difficult the moderate sections are? I'll only have 32's and open diffs. If not too bad(no worse than the calcite mine rd from this last weekend I think I would rather do this run to see something new. If anything I wouldn't mind riding with someone else.

Since the park service turned Rodriguez Cyn into a "family sedan" road, I don't think there are any rough spots you couldn't make it through. I will be doing a pre-run in a week or two and post the results. Bottom line - you should be OK. Shall we add you to the group?
DaveK
K6DTK

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:07 pm

dlichterman wrote:Any idea how difficult the moderate sections are? I'll only have 32's and open diffs. If not too bad(no worse than the calcite mine rd from this last weekend I think I would rather do this run to see something new. If anything I wouldn't mind riding with someone else.

Just did Rodriguez about a month ago. Unless conditions changed considerably you should be fine. Maybe a tug if you get crossed up and lose traction, but nothing serious.

dlichterman
Call Sign: KD6DL

Post by dlichterman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:29 pm

Great, add me to the list please! Don't mind a tug....just don't want any more oops.....

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 am

Daniel:

Welcome. You're on the list.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “2012 BorregoFest Event (October 19th - 21st, 2012)”