Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/hike - Saturday 10/20/12

We'll plan our annual BorregoFest and amateur radio testing here. Wheeling, camping, and eating in the desert.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/hike - Saturday 10/20/12

Post by DaveK » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks to Brent, dlichterman, and Cris for offering up space. Everyone on the waiting list can now join us.

We have a very full day of exploring, so I wanted to offer a couple of suggestions and requests to make sure that we get it all in and so that the day is as enjoyable as possible.

1. In order to get all the mines into our trip, we will need to leave at 8:00AM. This means that we need to get the vehicle inspections and the other paperwork out of the way quickly. The best way would be for us to get that done on Friday. Please look me up at camp on Friday and we will try to get everyone done the day before. For those who are not arriving until Saturday morning, please meet at the OAUSA HQ at 7:30AM and we will get you inspected.

2. Gloves and a good flashlight will help you to appreciate the mines. If you have a headlight, that would be best. I would also recommend long pants and good shoes. The hike to the Golden Sugar is a little difficult.

3. I'll have the books (A good Camp, by Leland Fetzer) on Friday and when we do your inspection, please make sure that I get you one. Unless you are speed reader, you may not finish the book by the time we start the run, but you can read the sections on these mines:

Golden Chariot
Ready Relief
Hubbard (North)
Ranchita.

4. Bring a lunch as we will stop on the trail to eat.

5. Don't forget your camera.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Dave, I will most likely not be at camp and will have to meet you at the trailhead Saturday morning. Can the inspection be handled at this time? Are you going in from the 78 or the S2 side?

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 pm

sdnative wrote:Dave, I will most likely not be at camp and will have to meet you at the trailhead Saturday morning. Can the inspection be handled at this time? Are you going in from the 78 or the S2 side?

Eric:

Call me. We'll work something out.
DaveK
K6DTK

bootzilla

Post by bootzilla » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:55 pm

We'll be coming out Saturday morning - we'll plan on being at the campsite by 7:30. A friend wants to come along, but we will definitely have an extra seat available if anyone else wants to join in...two if someone doesn't mine riding in one of the jumpseats in the back.

Having never done an event before - I've got shackles front and back and a strap, shovel, block of wood for under a jack and I'll bring an air pump...gloves, flashlight, camera and food - anything else I need? I don't have a CB for this truck, yet. I do have a little frm, if it will help.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:37 pm

bootzilla wrote:We'll be coming out Saturday morning - we'll plan on being at the campsite by 7:30. A friend wants to come along, but we will definitely have an extra seat available if anyone else wants to join in...two if someone doesn't mine riding in one of the jumpseats in the back.

Having never done an event before - I've got shackles front and back and a strap, shovel, block of wood for under a jack and I'll bring an air pump...gloves, flashlight, camera and food - anything else I need? I don't have a CB for this truck, yet. I do have a little frm, if it will help.
Todd:

Thanks for the offer of a few seats. We'll see if we need it.

It sounds like you have the right equipment. For most of our communications, we will use Ham, but I can monitor your FRS or GMRS frequencies so we can stay in touch. We will coordinate on Saturday morning. Also, check my post #41 and #32 for the gear that you will need.

See you then!
DaveK
K6DTK

hardhat
Call Sign: KD2BZJ

Post by hardhat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 pm

sign me up.
hardhat
(tim S.)
Ill check the wait list when i get into camp.
many thanks for putting on such a great event.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Hardhat:

See me at camp on Friday evening.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “2012 BorregoFest Event (October 19th - 21st, 2012)”