Illinois Legislation Would Ban Use of Mobile Amateur Radio

This forum is for technical questions, advice, and general communications discussions, including alternative communications devices such as CB, GMRS and FRS.
SP Jon M3
Call Sign: KJ6IRM

Illinois Legislation Would Ban Use of Mobile Amateur Radio

Post by SP Jon M3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Found an interesting post over on qrz.com. Basically Illinois is proposing legislation to ban the use of any electronic device unless it's hands-free or voice activated (wonder if you can change the radio station on your car stereo anymore? :roll: ). Hopefully this doesn't pass and set a precedence for other states to follow.
Jon - KJ6IRM
'08 4Runner - Icon suspension, Dual battery, ARB Firdge, Demello sliders, Yaesu FTM-350R and FT-857d

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Illinois Legislation Would Ban Use of Mobile Amateur Radio

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:04 pm

SP Jon M3 wrote:Found an interesting post over on qrz.com. Basically Illinois is proposing legislation to ban the use of any electronic device unless it's hands-free or voice activated (wonder if you can change the radio station on your car stereo anymore? :roll: ). Hopefully this doesn't pass and set a precedence for other states to follow.
Illinois can pass whatever legislation it wants - but if they try to enforce it on licensed hams, they'll likely end up on the wrong end of a Federal lawsuit, IMO, since Amateur Radio operation is regulated by federal license, not state regulations. Usually federal law overrides any state legislation (example - medical marijuana raids in CA and other states where the facilities have been legalized by the state), so they'll have a big fight on their hands regarding any communications services that are covered by Federal laws. In CA, the hands-free cell-phone laws don't cover ham radio or business band radio operation specifically for that reason.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:17 pm

THIS JUST IN:
Amateur radio has been granted an exemption to a proposed Illinois anti-distracted-driver law that could have outlawed all mobile operation by anyone in the state other than emergency services.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cowboy4x4
Call Sign: KI6OBK

Post by cowboy4x4 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:58 pm

I wonder how all the truck drivers will communicate with each other now...... I know.... they will say screw it and talk on the cb anyway (assuming they are banned as well)
KI6OBK....A BAD DAY EXPLORING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm guessing a wise attorney general in Illinois took a look at the proposed legislation, and realized the can of crap they would get the state into if they didn't exempt Federally-licensed radio services...so, as I stated in a previous post, I'm not surprised about the exception they made for amateur radio operators. ;)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Post by brentbba » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

Good to hear Illinios came to their senses. It just really surprises me that the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia hasn't done this regardless of federal law!

Return to “COMMUNICATIONS GENERAL DISCUSSION”