mobile motorized antenna mount

This forum is for technical questions, advice, and general communications discussions, including alternative communications devices such as CB, GMRS and FRS.
charlie56
Call Sign: KZ6T

mobile motorized antenna mount

Post by charlie56 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:23 pm

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience in using a Diamond K9000 motorized mount in a 4x4 environment. I am looking at a new mount for my Jeep that has an antenna mast above the spare tire. (Its an AEV mount.)
I have had excellent results with using a 2m half wave antenna in this no-ground plane configuration except for the fact that I have broken it off 3 times. Having a motorized mount does’t eliminate the user error problem, but it makes it easier to manage. I am concerned about the durability of this $100 mount going down a washboard road. So if anyone has experience with it good or bad, please let me know.
http://www.diamondantenna.net/k9000lrm.html
Charlie ...
KZ6T

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: mobile motorized antenna mount

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Charlie -

I have been using the Diamond K9000 motorized antenna mount on the top of my FJ Cruiser's roof rack for almost 8 years. The mount has survived dozens and dozens of off-road (and on-road) adventures, and held up like a champ. The unit has a ratcheting assembly, so if it gets hit it can recover without damage. I run it with a dual band 2m/440mhz Diamond antenna, and I've never had any problems.

I have also installed several of these for customers, and they've had the same result - they work without issue.

The only thing to be careful of is not to exceed the recommended height / weight of the antenna you put on the mount.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “COMMUNICATIONS GENERAL DISCUSSION”