US Amateur Radio Numbers Reach an All-Time High

This forum is for technical questions, advice, and general communications discussions, including alternative communications devices such as CB, GMRS and FRS.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

US Amateur Radio Numbers Reach an All-Time High

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:30 pm

US Amateur Radio Numbers Reach an All-Time High From the ARRL.

Amateur Radio growth in the US continues to soar. At the end of 2014, the total number of radio amateurs in the FCC’s Universal Licensing System (ULS) database reached an all-time high of 726,725. The trend has continued in the first 2 months of 2015, which saw the ham population rise to slightly more than 727,000. The figures exclude expired licenses that are within the 2-year grace period, and club station licenses. Outside of a little dithering last fall, growth in the Amateur Radio Service in 2014 was steady, according to figures compiled by Joe Speroni, AH0A, on his FCC Amateur Radio Statistics web pages. Over the past decade the number of Amateur Radio licenses in the ULS database grew by some 8.1 percent. But 2014 also was a banner year for the ARRL Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (VEC).

For the full article see: http://www.arrl.org/news/us-amateur-rad ... -time-high
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

ki6kui
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6KUI

Re: US Amateur Radio Numbers Reach an All-Time High

Post by ki6kui » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:43 pm

That is great news!
Ken_____________________________________________
KI6KUI
GMRS: WQVE723
You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

KK6GFF
Call Sign: KK6GFF

Post by KK6GFF » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:09 pm

A couple of weeks ago I sent my application for VE and I've been checking the VE session records for my name. I've noticed the number of VE's go up from 3341 to 3359 in just two weeks. Glad to be one of those! :) Some days the number went down a few numbers and other days it went up. An average of close to 10 new VE's per week in CA.

Roger
Roger WZ6B
2014 JKUR

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:30 pm

CatalanBull wrote:A couple of weeks ago I sent my application for VE and I've been checking the VE session records for my name. I've noticed the number of VE's go up from 3341 to 3359 in just two weeks. Glad to be one of those! :) Some days the number went down a few numbers and other days it went up. An average of close to 10 new VE's per week in CA.

Roger

Congratulations!!!

We have done our small part to contribute to the growing number of new Amateurs in the US. To date, we have held 15 different test sessions and added many new Amateurs to our ranks. Some of the best parts of our exams are the locations where we have hold them, including on the beach, in the mountains and in the desert.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “COMMUNICATIONS GENERAL DISCUSSION”