Welcome to the California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC)

CA4WDC is the largest organization in the US that actively promotes the advancement of vehicle oriented outdoor recreation. Find out more here.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Welcome to the California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC)

Post by DaveK » Sun May 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Please join us in welcoming our newest OAUSA outfitter - California Association of 4WD Clubs.

CA4WDC has been at the forefront of advancing vehicle oriented recreation since 1959. They represent over 8,000 members and 160 member clubs and are the largest organization of this type in California. All makes and models of 4WD vehicles, as well as non-owners who support responsible vehicle-oriented recreation, are a part of CA4WDC.

They maintain a full-time office in Sacramento and their staff and volunteers work closely with legislators and land use managers to provide input, influence, expertise, and manpower to keep lands open to 4WD vehicle access. Many successful battles have been waged and won to keep trails open all over the state.

Membership in CA4WDC is only $45 per year and is the best way to do our part to save public lands for responsible and reasonable use - see: http://www.cal4wheel.com/ca4wdc-membership/join-online .

CA4WDC will use this forum to keep us informed about their events, important issues and changing laws. A more in depth view of these areas is available to members and through their website.

Welcome aboard!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Welcome to the California Associatin of 4WD Clubs

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun May 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Welcome to the CA4WDC !!!

Dirty Parts has been a proud sponsor of the California Association of 4WD Clubs for 28 years, and we are happy to have them participate with all of us here at OAUSA :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Re: Welcome to the California Associatin of 4WD Associations

Post by Crismateski » Tue May 22, 2012 9:44 pm

I have been hearing a lot of complaints about this group, and a lot of recommendations to take your money elsewhere (Corva, Blue Ribbon Coalition) and know a lot of clubs are leaving cal4 wheel. I have not heard much in the way of details. I would be curious to see if anyone here has more info, and what the reason to be associated with this group over some of the others that are out there.

I am not trying to stir anything up, just like a little more info
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

cal4wheel

Post by cal4wheel » Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Cris -

I am the webmaster and In Gear magazine editor for CA4WDC.

Your concerns are well justified. CA4WDC has been enduring some controversy lately and there has been quite a bit of internal turmoil within the board of directors. The board did have their quarterly meeting this past weekend and they have all agreed that their differences need to be set aside for the common good. I would like to encourage all current, past and prospective members of CA4WDC to contact a board member to find out what is going on firsthand.

While joining other organizations is always good, you should not let what you read in a forum post, Facebook comments or a remark from a friend influence your decision. Withdrawing support from a mostly volunteer group that has been fighting for over 50 years to help us keep our trails open simply because of a rumor that you heard does us all a disservice.

Let's get back to doing what we enjoy: wheeling and working together for the benefit of all.

Suzy Johnson

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue May 22, 2012 11:10 pm

cal4wheel wrote: you should not let what you read in a forum post, Facebook comments or a remark from a friend influence your decision. Withdrawing support from a mostly volunteer group that has been fighting for over 50 years to help us keep our trails open simply because of a rumor that you heard does us all a disservice.

Let's get back to doing what we enjoy: wheeling and working together for the benefit of all.
This is a problem everyone who has a web presence faces, and I agree with Suzy.
There are much bigger issues to deal with, and volunteer groups need as much support as they can muster...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Wed May 23, 2012 8:10 am

cal4wheel wrote:Cris -

While joining other organizations is always good, you should not let what you read in a forum post, Facebook comments or a remark from a friend influence your decision. Withdrawing support from a mostly volunteer group that has been fighting for over 50 years to help us keep our trails open simply because of a rumor that you heard does us all a disservice.

Suzy Johnson
First off, thank your for the response, it is appreciated. As far as opinions being influenced, that is the reason for the question. I have heard lots of comments about how "bad" Cal4wheel has become, but I have never heard why, or how. I was hoping to find out what is actually going on, so I can ignore the rumors and make an educated opinion of my own. Is there someone in particular I should contact?
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed May 23, 2012 6:50 pm

Crismateski wrote:
cal4wheel wrote:Cris -

Suzy Johnson
First off, thank your for the response, it is appreciated. As far as opinions being influenced, that is the reason for the question. I have heard lots of comments about how "bad" Cal4wheel has become, but I have never heard why, or how. I was hoping to find out what is actually going on, so I can ignore the rumors and make an educated opinion of my own. Is there someone in particular I should contact?
Cris -

May I suggest you start a separate thread to continue this discussion, so that we can welcome CA4WDC on this one, and discuss CA4WDC policies and concerns on the other - Thanks ;)

W6LPB / WPOK492

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Wed May 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Crismateski wrote: First off, thank your for the response, it is appreciated. As far as opinions being influenced, that is the reason for the question. I have heard lots of comments about how "bad" Cal4wheel has become, but I have never heard why, or how. I was hoping to find out what is actually going on, so I can ignore the rumors and make an educated opinion of my own. Is there someone in particular I should contact?
There are going to be two sides to every set of issues. In this case there are more than two sides. I am a member of CA4WDC, and president of a CA4WDC club, yet, I know only part of the story and that story is not over and wasn’t when you received your reply here.

I won’t pollute this thread with it but if search on line you can find a good chunk of it, mostly in forums of clubs that have left the association (which you’ll need to take with a grain of salt at times).

You are right to ask questions and expect honest answers so you know exactly where your money is going and what fights are actually being won because of your donation/membership. Just as in most things in life, getting input from others is entirely OK.
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed May 23, 2012 11:29 pm

DennisDawg wrote:There are going to be two sides to every set of issues. In this case there are more than two sides. I am a member of CA4WDC, and president of a CA4WDC club, yet, I know only part of the story and that story is not over and wasn’t when you received your reply here.
Dennis -

I'm guessing you didn't read my last post - but I am requesting that any discussion regarding issues involving CA4WDC be put up in a separate thread - this thread was intended to welcome them to OAUSA, not to grill them...Thanks ;)

W6LPB / WPOK492

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Thu May 24, 2012 7:54 am

cruiserlarry wrote:I'm guessing you didn't read my last post - but I am requesting that any discussion regarding issues involving CA4WDC be put up in a separate thread - this thread was intended to welcome them to OAUSA, not to grill them...Thanks ;)

I read it, but there was no other thread that I could find in which I could answer the question. Starting a public “problems with CA4WDC” thread on a club forum is well outside of my role here, there . . . anywhere but for the thread we have on our club forum, which is private.

I apologize if that has stepped on some toes but I neither condemned or endorsed CA4WDC in my post, trying to remain neutral in that reply (and even this one :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ).
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

Return to “CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF 4WD CLUBS”