Field Day 2014 Locations

We will plan our Summer-Fest activities and Amateur Radio Field Day Event here. This the weekend we contest for points on the HF air waves, camp, and wheel.
SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Field Day 2014 Locations

Post by SteeevO » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:20 pm

Over the last few years we've had trouble finding campsites that accommodate us properly for field day.
I've put together an excel spreadsheet of all the reservable sites in southern California that I was able to find, Im just asking that everyone here on the board take a look at this list and keep them in mind when wheeling, camping and hiking over the next year. If you're in an area near one of these sites then maybe you can drop by, scope it out, and report back here..
This way we're not frantically looking for good sites in the middle of winter in early 2014, when there are lots of closures.

In the excel spreadsheet you'll find the sites in order form the ones that accommodate the most number of vehicles to the least. You'll see that the ones of most interest and that will accommodate our group best, will be listed in the top 15 or so of the list.

Some things to keep in mind:
-We want a community Fire pit
-Easy access to the tables where we can spread the radios out a little bit and 'show off' the radios to new comers. (lets make next year a little more educational and more interactive.)
-high elevation preferably on a mountain top rather than in a valley.
-trees and space to put up antennas.
-a place to more or less 'hide' the generator where we can't hear it.

Please feel free to download the spreadsheet attached to this post, add notes to it and repost it.
Maybe by the end of summer this year we'll know where we're going to be for field day in 2014.
Let me know what you guys think and Thanks for the help!
Attachments
group camps.xlsx
(13.01 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Re: Field Day 2014 Locations

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:07 pm

Here is another pitch for Tehachapi Mountain Park. It's a bit further away from LA and Orange County but Tehachapi Mountain Camp offers some nice amenities which could entice broader participation. Maybe we could raise more interest in a larger dutch oven contest/potluck for the weekend. Having a full kitchen to prepare food would help get folks up there just for that. All of the desert area north of Mojave is nearby for trail runs.

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/tehachapi.asp#sierra

http://www.turnto23.com/news/your-neigh ... ntain-park

If there is any interest I can take a run up there and get some pictures.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks Bruce,
How far is it from you?
Some pictures of this place would help a ton.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Since we are currently in a "no-snow season", anyone can visit possible sites now and post some pictures.

There are a couple of other considerations to keep in mind as we look for other sites:

1. It must be accessible by two wheel drive vehicles;

2. It should be near good 4wd trails;

3. No generator restrictions;

4. A group campsite with space for at least 15 to 20 vehicles (and overflow parking would be nice too)

5. Driving time to the campsite should be reasonable. Ideally, it would be nice to find something between LA and San Diego, although the Los Padres NF was pretty good.

We need to get our campsite reserved as soon as reservations are allowed.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:58 am

Also good points Dave.

Most of these sites outside of Big Bear can already be reserved on recreation.Gov

I'd really like to have this the bag before winter.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:38 pm

SteeevO wrote:Also good points Dave.

Most of these sites outside of Big Bear can already be reserved on recreation.Gov

Yes, now is the time to do this as there are a growing number of groups and individuals that are using the high level areas for Field Day. If the sites are available for reservation now, I suggest that we immediately reserve McGill and if we find another site, we can always get our fees refunded.

Any thoughts? If no objections, I will take cares of this now.
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:39 pm

DaveK wrote:
SteeevO wrote:Also good points Dave.

Yes, now is the time to do this as there are a growing number of groups and individuals that are using the high level areas for Field Day. If the sites are available for reservation now, I suggest that we immediately reserve McGill and if we find another site, we can always get our fees refunded.

Any thoughts? If no objections, I will take cares of this now.
I think that is a very good idea :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:15 pm

NOTICE

Since there were no objections, I have reserved and paid for the McGill campground for Field Day / Summer Fest for 2014.
DaveK
K6DTK

Ken&Jill
Call Sign: K6KCE

Post by Ken&Jill » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:48 pm

There is a nice campground called Campo Alto 6.5 miles west of the last location.
800' higher elevation and a large group area on top of Cerro Noroeste / Mount Abel.
N 34 49.887 W 119 12 .392 WGS 84

Would need to be checked out by the group but it has less people there than the Mt. Pinos area ever time were in the area.

Ken & Jill

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:01 am

Ken&Jill wrote:There is a nice campground called Campo Alto 6.5 miles west of the last location.
800' higher elevation and a large group area on top of Cerro Noroeste / Mount Abel.
N 34 49.887 W 119 12 .392 WGS 84

Would need to be checked out by the group but it has less people there than the Mt. Pinos area ever time were in the area.

Ken & Jill

Ken & Jill

Thanks for the info. We looked at this site for the last couple of years and its location is great as is the campground itself. My recollection is that there are a very limited number of campsites and no group site. I also seem to recall that there has been another Field Day group that has been using this site for some years. I think that SteeevO checked it out and we need his input. If anyone has more information on this site, or any other site, let us know. Pictures and an actual visit will help.

In the meantime, we have McGill reserved, but it can be changed.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “2013 SUMMER FEST / FIELD DAY (JUNE 21-23, 2013)”