Field Day Planning

We will plan our Summer-Fest activities and Amateur Radio Field Day Event here. This the weekend we contest for points on the HF air waves, camp, and wheel.
hmfigueroa

Re: Field Day Planning

Post by hmfigueroa » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:41 pm

SteeevO wrote:Hector, What sat software do you use?
It's been a number of years since I've tracked and played with the birds.
I use pocket sat3 on my ipad and iphone.

check out http://www.work-sat.com for information on working amateur radio satellites.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Dave -

I'll have Jon's FT857D as an extra radio, and we both have HF radios in our vehicles, so if we can get an antenna set up for 10M, we probably have radios to use
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:09 am

cruiserlarry wrote:Dave -

I'll have Jon's FT857D as an extra radio, and we both have HF radios in our vehicles, so if we can get an antenna set up for 10M, we probably have radios to use

Jon's 857 gives us 4 radios that we will connect to the 4 masts we have (although we do not have a power supply for that radio). While we can use our vehicle HF radios, we should first find out how many operators and band captains we have. After last years 10M fiasco, I am still a little gun-shy about doing it again!

But, as the saying goes, the three most important things in Ham radio are propagation, propagation, propagation!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:28 am

I have several power supplies available. just got to get them out there :D

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:23 pm

hmfigueroa wrote:I have several power supplies available. just got to get them out there :D
Steven can pick up what we will need.
DaveK
K6DTK

SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Post by SteeevO » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Yup,
I pass right near your house on the way out there hector.

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Post by taugust » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:58 pm

I have several items that I can bring, depending on needs.

I have an Icom-208H 2m radio that is not vehicle mounted. I have a Yaesu FT-857D mounted in my truck that can be removed for use. Both have powerpole connectors. I have a homebuilt Carolina Windom antenna that can work 80, 40, 20, 10 with no tuner (I have a tuner for the 857D). It is lightweight and I run it on a fiberglass pushup pole to about 30'. I have about 50' of coax. Also have a 60A power supply.

I have solar panels (80W, 60W) and 2 batteries that can run a station on solar power. I ran field day from home on that setup last year.

I have a toughbook laptop for logging. I have a license for the N3FJP logging software.

I have a few extra chairs, and 3 good old Coleman lanterns. I have one free standing lantern stand. I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp that can be strung between trees or use with poles for shade. I also have several dutch ovens 8-)
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:07 pm

taugust wrote:I have several items that I can bring, depending on needs.

I have an Icom-208H 2m radio that is not vehicle mounted. I have a Yaesu FT-857D mounted in my truck that can be removed for use. Both have powerpole connectors. I have a homebuilt Carolina Windom antenna that can work 80, 40, 20, 10 with no tuner (I have a tuner for the 857D). It is lightweight and I run it on a fiberglass pushup pole to about 30'. I have about 50' of coax. Also have a 60A power supply.

I have solar panels (80W, 60W) and 2 batteries that can run a station on solar power. I ran field day from home on that setup last year.

I have a toughbook laptop for logging. I have a license for the N3FJP logging software.

I have a few extra chairs, and 3 good old Coleman lanterns. I have one free standing lantern stand. I have a Kelty Noah's Tarp that can be strung between trees or use with poles for shade. I also have several dutch ovens 8-)
Tim:

Thanks so much for the offer of equipment.

1. We may need the Toughbook, if we open up another band or two. We all have that software on board and if you have it, we will be able to include you in the group.

2. The chairs and lanterns are always welcome. Old Coleman lanterns are as good ad the new ones and we can certainly put them to good use. I think I would avoid the lantern stand as it often gets whacked as people walk by. We can hang them in the trees to avoid this problem.

3. We may be able to use the Yaesu 857, especially if we work 10M.

4. We can use the power supply and coa-ax.

5. Do we need more Dutch ovens??? Can't get enough!!!

6. We will have enough generators to power all of the radios. We will be using one alternate powered radio (solar/wind/water) to get extra points, so if you want to bring yours, we will put it to good use. I will have mine available, as a backup.

7. Do you have the poles for your tarp?

As far as the 2M radio, I think we have enough at this point, but you are free to bring it, just in case. At the moment, we have 4 masts and antennas for 40, 20, 15 and 10. SteeevO will be putting 80n in the trees with his launcher. So, I don't think we will need any more antennas, with the possible exception of 10M. If you have a wire for this, we may need it.

Thanks again Tim!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:06 pm

OK, folks, we're down to the final week before OAUSA Summerfest / Field Day begins

Does any one else have equipment they are bringing that hasn't posted yet ???

This includes pop-ups, chairs, radios, power supplies, coax, headsets, laptop computers, generators, tables, power strips, etc....and if your not sure if it will be useful, post up what you've got, and we'll let you know if it helps :D

Also, anyone interested in helping out with radio operation, whether spending some time on the air making contacts, or assisting someone by logging entries into the computer, please speak up - it would be great to know exactly who is going to available, so that we can make sure no one is over-worked or under utilized in our pursuit of a higher score than last year (we finished in the top 25 for Los Angeles last year, so were shooting for top 20 or better :mrgreen: )
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:06 pm

I have the following items I can bring -

8x8 popup with sides if needed

Extra tarps

Extra poles, guy ropes, and stakes

Folding solid camping table with 2, 2 person folding benches

6 Goal Zero "Light-a-life" lanterns, can supply with white, bright red, or dim red LED lights

Goal Zero Escape 150 power supply

PowerPole crimp tool and extra PowerPole connectors

Extra PowerPole distribution blocks

Various extension cords with PowerPole connectors

PowerPole to female cigarette lighter adapters

I'm not planning on operating but I can bring the following radios -

iCOM IC-271H All Mode 2m base station

iCOM IC-471A All Mode 440 base station

Both of these radios were serviced and aligned last year. All out of spec parts were replaced.

Is anyone bringing a coffee urn? I don't have one but I thought with people operating all night it might be good to have.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

Return to “2013 SUMMER FEST / FIELD DAY (JUNE 21-23, 2013)”