Page 5 of 5

Re: Simplex from San Jacinto?

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 pm
by DaveK
SD07NISMO wrote:I will be attempting to hike to the summit of San Jacinto Peak (10,800 ft) on Sunday afternoon and thought it might be fun to try to contact you guys. I have a 5W HT (FT-60) with a pretty decent antenna that I've used to make some pretty long (~100 mile) simplex contacts with before from much lower elevation. Would it be best to try to contact you on the repeater first and then switch over to a simplex frequency? I'm actually attempting a SOTA (Summits On the Air) activation so I need to get at least 4 simplex contacts. Not sure if you guys would get any extra points for Field Day, but it might be fun.

Tyler

Tyler:

For us, the official Field Day competition ends at 11:00AM on Sunday (or it might be 10:00AM - not sure yet). By the time the afternoon rolls around, we may have lost a lot of our members to trail runs and trips back home, but if you give us some frequencies and times, we can give it a shot. What is your call sign?

Re: Field Day Planning

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:31 pm
by SteeevO
That's pretty cool!

Re: Field Day Planning

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:48 pm
by cruiserlarry
We've hit the Frazier Park repeater from Buck Rock in the King's Canyon area of the Sierras (I believe it was about 132 miles away), so we should be able to give it a go :mrgreen:

Re: Field Day Planning

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:17 am
by DaveK
cruiserlarry wrote:We've hit the Frazier Park repeater from Buck Rock in the King's Canyon area of the Sierras (I believe it was about 132 miles away), so we should be able to give it a go :mrgreen:
And, it was with an HT!!

Re: Field Day Planning

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:11 pm
by SD07NISMO
Oh, I didn't realize you would be done that soon on Sunday. I might be up to the summit earlier, just not sure yet how long it's going to take me to hike 6 miles ~4000 ft elevation gain. I was planning to call on 146.520, but it would probably be easier to first get you on the repeater and then try to switch over to simplex. What repeater will you guys be on?

Tyler
KJ6MFI

Re: Field Day Planning

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:14 pm
by SD07NISMO
Looks like you are planning to be using the Frazier Mountain repeater, 447.860-, is this still correct? Thanks.

Re: Field Day Planning

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:36 pm
by DaveK
SD07NISMO wrote:Looks like you are planning to be using the Frazier Mountain repeater, 447.860-, is this still correct? Thanks.
That's correct.

Re: Field Day Planning

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:34 am
by IH_SCOUT
DaveK wrote:According to the official ARRL rules, here are some of the ways we can earn additional points:
<cut>
10. Participation by anyone 18 or younger gets us up to 100 points.
<cut>
So, if you can help out with any of these extra point categories, let us know.

There are other ways to earn points, and those who will be participating should check out the official rules, mentioned above in post number 5.
My daughter can help with this...

Re: Field Day Planning

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:33 am
by DaveK
IH_SCOUT wrote:
DaveK wrote:According to the official ARRL rules, here are some of the ways we can earn additional points:
<cut>
10. Participation by anyone 18 or younger gets us up to 100 points.
<cut>
So, if you can help out with any of these extra point categories, let us know.

There are other ways to earn points, and those who will be participating should check out the official rules, mentioned above in post number 5.
My daughter can help with this...

Excellent.