Field Day 2013 Review

We will plan our Summer-Fest activities and Amateur Radio Field Day Event here. This the weekend we contest for points on the HF air waves, camp, and wheel.
SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Field Day 2013 Review

Post by SteeevO » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:48 pm

With just over 500 Contacts we didn't do too bad this year considering we were running 2 less radios and there were a lot of us out on the trail on saturday.

Did anyone get any pictures they can post?

Bruce, how did you do on 2Meter side band? were you logging?
we should go you set up with a laptop and on the wifi next year

I'm already looking into a new and better fit campground for next year and I'll be starting a new thread with lots of information in that regard.
I would like to see the radios set up in more of a common area next year to help get more people involved and on the radio.
Also, Tara & I were talking about how all the stations this year had headphones which is great for hitt'n it hard and working pileups but when other people simply attending the event walk by, they are not interested and do not stick around. We need to get these people more engaged in what we're doing by letting them listen in. I was thinking we need to spread the stations out so we can have speakers going and not interfere with one another, but lets other people listen in on whats going on. maybe use a an audio splitter between the operators headset and an external speaker.

I'll also get working on a station check list so we can be more organized and more prepared the next time around.

Also, I just did the math... we should be able to power at least (4) 100w radios off of a 1600w generator if we're all transmitting at the same time. just food for thought for next year.

Also what do you guys think about putting up a 6m Yagi?

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Re: Field Day 2013 Review

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:14 pm

IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2791 times
Little Solar Powered Ham Shack in the Mountains
(and a Moonlander)

I went with the intention of just trying out the IC-271H on 2m sideband since I don't have a 2m horizontally polarized antenna at home. My brother (KN6VL) came up for the day and decided to jump into the contest. He managed to get 8 logged contacts including one with Gordon West himself.

I was impressed with the range of 2m sideband. The most distant contact was just north of San Diego. We heard others that sounded more distant but couldn't get a response from them. We were having some trouble with the microphone gain causing distortion so that was definitely a factor for part of the day. Next year I'll have to check out the radio gear and get everything set before field day weekend.

The plan will definitely include more radio time and less cooking (sorry Larry :D ). I'd also like to set up a 440 sideband station. Not being a night owl doing VHF and UHF sideband work is pretty easy as the band conditions don't change throughout the day. Most of the contacts were made in the first couple of hours. After that it we were just hearing the same stations over and over. The challenge will be to improve the efficiency of the antenna and coax system to hit some of those distant stations we couldn't raise.

John sent the contact list to Dave (K6DTK). I'll have to coordinate and come more prepared next year.
IMG_1009.jpg
IMG_1009.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 2790 times
The dutch oven pot luck was also excellent. There was little or no food left in the pots. Being a noob at this I got some great tips on dutch oven cooking from Tim (Thank you again Tim!) I need to get the poppy seed chicken recipe to take to another event later this year.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 pm

It will take me a couple of days, but I will get some photos posted. I also want to see some of the photos in the POTM thread
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Awesome Bruce,
hopefully we can get a laptop in your hands to log those vhf and uhf contacts on the network next year.
I also looked up that 271A.. I want one now... lol.

I also have a WiFi dish that we can hook up to the router if we need to, to extend the range of the wifi signal for a more spread out operation for next year.

I'm thinking we can run 440, 2m, 6m, 10, 15, 20, 40 next year. I'm thinking about shelving the 80m antenna,, it's just a pain to get high enough off the ground. or maybe i'll build a new cannon.

Also, here i what our performnace looked like from this year. Look like the radio were alone for a while a few times but we still broke 500 contacts.
keep in mind the times are in UTC
Attachments
FD2013.jpg
FD2013.jpg (218.71 KiB) Viewed 2775 times

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:10 am

I was also just thinking we should have a field day briefing next year in camp like an hour before the event starts.
Kinda like we would do for a trail run. This would be just to make sure everyone is familiar with the logging software, radio operation etc..
Just a thought.

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Post by brentbba » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:24 am

Bruce - thanks for the compliment on the Poppy Seed Chicken. Recipe can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2355

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Bruce - I would be happy to attend your other event and give you feedback if your poppy seed chicken is as good as Brent's.
Attachments
SAM_1145.JPG
Dutch Luck
SAM_1145.JPG (3.49 MiB) Viewed 2738 times
SAM_1146.JPG
All gone
SAM_1146.JPG (3.45 MiB) Viewed 2738 times
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:26 pm

SteeevO wrote:I was also just thinking we should have a field day briefing next year in camp like an hour before the event starts.
Kinda like we would do for a trail run. This would be just to make sure everyone is familiar with the logging software, radio operation etc..
Just a thought.
I think that's a great idea, Steve.

We ended up short several operators at the last minute this year, so we were more occupied with just trying to keep the radios operating. It would be nice to get a little more organized next year, assuming we can get a few more people to commit to working the radios. And a pre-operation briefing, going over basic procedure, and maybe even the basic operation of each of the different radios for those not familiar with them, would be a good place to start :)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:04 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
SteeevO wrote:I was also just thinking we should have a field day briefing next year in camp like an hour before the event starts.
Just a thought.
I think that's a great idea, Steve.

We ended up short several operators at the last minute this year, so we were more occupied with just trying to keep the radios operating. It would be nice to get a little more organized next year, assuming we can get a few more people to commit to working the radios. And a pre-operation briefing, going over basic procedure, and maybe even the basic operation of each of the different radios for those not familiar with them, would be a good place to start :)
I would find basic radio operation useful
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:01 pm

I think some of the folks that I had out this year were pretty interested in field day.. more than I expected.
But they were a little Mic shy. It'll get better. Im going to.get these guys on hf more in the off field day season

Return to “2013 SUMMER FEST / FIELD DAY (JUNE 21-23, 2013)”