Field Day 2013 Review

We will plan our Summer-Fest activities and Amateur Radio Field Day Event here. This the weekend we contest for points on the HF air waves, camp, and wheel.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Field Day 2013 Review

Post by DaveK » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:16 pm

This years pot luck had to be one of the very best we've ever had (if not the best). Speaking for myself, I particularly liked the idea of having the dessert available with the rest of the food!!!

Thanks to the many chefs!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:17 pm

SteeevO wrote:I think some of the folks that I had out this year were pretty interested in field day.. more than I expected. But they were a little Mic shy. It'll get better. I'm going to.get these guys on hf more in the off field day season
I was impressed at the amount of interest shown by many of the non-hams at Summerfest - and by the interest in testing for their licenses. Mic-shyness is a common malady when new to the hobby, but that is easily cured by the excitement shown by those around you. This year, many of our "regulars" had scheduling issues, so we didn't have the same group of elmers their to get folks going. I would like to try and schedule a couple of DX weekends, with similar locations and equipment, to provide a lower-pressure environment to get newbies on the air. Anyone else interested ??
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Post by taugust » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:18 pm

How about at Borregofest? I know Hector usually has HF setup, but maybe if it was publicised, there might be more takers. Although with all the runs and other activities, it might be lower on the priority scale.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Post by SteeevO » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Larry. That's brilliant. Im in.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:03 pm

taugust wrote:How about at Borregofest? I know Hector usually has HF setup, but maybe if it was publicized, there might be more takers. Although with all the runs and other activities, it might be lower on the priority scale.

We could definitely set up at least one, and probably more, HF stations if there is interest. Hector, Dave, Jon, and I all have portable masts, and of course, there's Steevo's air cannon :lol:

I would still like to try and set up an HF weekend or two, separate from our regular events...if you are interested, post up :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:20 am

cruiserlarry wrote:
taugust wrote:How about at Borregofest? I know Hector usually has HF setup, but maybe if it was publicized, there might be more takers. Although with all the runs and other activities, it might be lower on the priority scale.

We could definitely set up at least one, and probably more, HF stations if there is interest. Hector, Dave, Jon, and I all have portable masts, and of course, there's Steevo's air cannon :lol:

I would still like to try and set up an HF weekend or two, separate from our regular events...if you are interested, post up :D

I'm in.
DaveK
K6DTK

BigDave
Call Sign: KI6LYZ

Post by BigDave » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 am

cruiserlarry wrote:

I'm in. I have radio, mast and antenna also
Dave

KI6LYZ

"Shootin' trucks and snortin' dust"

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:09 am

taugust wrote:How about at Borregofest? I know Hector usually has HF setup, but maybe if it was publicised, there might be more takers. Although with all the runs and other activities, it might be lower on the priority scale.

We had discussed this idea and it makes good sense. Since we always do Amateur Radio testing at our events, having the testing near the HF radio also seems like a good idea.

Thanks, Tim!
DaveK
K6DTK

SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Post by SteeevO » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:05 am

I think it was Bruce that was telling me about off center fed multi band dipoles I've been researching them and they can be a really complex set a wires.. but I like it. Maybe we can play with some of those too.

Larry where do you want to do these radio days? Do you want to make a weekend out of it or just a day thing at a park or something?

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 pm

SteeevO wrote:Larry where do you want to do these radio days? Do you want to make a weekend out of it or just a day thing at a park or something?
I really haven't thought it through that far - I'm up for both day trips, or a full weekend event

W6LPB / WPOK492

Return to “2013 SUMMER FEST / FIELD DAY (JUNE 21-23, 2013)”