Field Day 2013 Review

We will plan our Summer-Fest activities and Amateur Radio Field Day Event here. This the weekend we contest for points on the HF air waves, camp, and wheel.
taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Re: Field Day 2013 Review

Post by taugust » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:53 pm

SteeevO wrote:I think it was Bruce that was telling me about off center fed multi band dipoles I've been researching them and they can be a really complex set a wires.. but I like it. Maybe we can play with some of those too.

Larry where do you want to do these radio days? Do you want to make a weekend out of it or just a day thing at a park or something?
Steve,

I have a homebuilt, lightweight Carolina Windom antenna. It is good on 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10m, I believe, and it does not require a tuner to use. It makes for easy band switching with no change in setup. It is as simple as a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint, with a 45' leg and a 90' leg and some coax. It works great by getting the feedpoint up about 30 - 40' and the ends at about 10' off the ground. I use a commercially built one at my home station, and I have talked around the world with it. I used it last year near the bottom of the Grand Canyon to talk up and down the west coast, and New Mexico. Just before quitting, I made a contact in New Zealand. I had it at field day, but you already had everything setup and it wasn't needed.

On another topic, one of the dutch oven cooks left about a half bag of charcoal behind, and I have it. It had the top of the bag torn off. Just let me know who's it is, and I will get it to you at the next gathering.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

SteeevO
Call Sign: KF6WVM

Post by SteeevO » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:34 am

Thanks Tim! I actually got a new antenna up today! similar in design but instead of feeding it at 33% on a 135' wire like yours, I fed it at 5/6 λ on a 68' total length wire. With a 6:1 balun its usable on 6, 10, 15, 20, 40. ( thats what I modeled) but instead of a balun I just threw the icom ah-4 tuner on it figuring the mentioned bands would function as I mentioned but then I can also tune 12, 17 & 30. with the tuner off it tunes perfect 1:1 on 40 & 6 the others in between aren't as good, if the balun was on instead it should be easily fine tuned with an internal rig tuner. I'd like to build another one but with the 6:1 balun instead of the tuner and throw it in the field day box. I simply don't have the realestate here for an 80m antenna, but what I do have is working well up at about 45 feet.
I already made a few contacts into south america with 5x9 signal reports. I also heard New Zeland tonight but then the phone rang...

I went with modeling my own antenna for a few reasons.. I wanted to learn the theory behind this style of antenna it and I wanted to also have 6m on the same wire. I haven't modeled an 80m version yet however I think I can also make it so it would run 6m.
From what I've already done today on the air with this antenna, i'm super happy with it. Best Hf antenna I've ever had in the air over here... I feel i've built a winner. thanks guys for opening the door on this antenna style.

BTW, does anyone know if the paper work was submitted for the new licensees? seems like our paper work has been taking longer to get registered in the FCC system than it did when I was first licensed..
last time I called the FCC they said the online system was instant with giving out new call signs once the proper info was uploaded.. but it's been about 2 weeks since test day and my buddy steven doesn't have a call yet. :/

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:26 am

Steven

Looking into it. I'll post an update.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:36 am

Cool thanks dave

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:25 pm

It was submitted but I bet with the holiday it was delayed. I would expect it by Wednesday or Thursday.

SteeevO

Post by SteeevO » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks Hector

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:34 pm

I know there are some more pictures out there!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Here are a few photos from the weekend in no particular order

http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/Crism ... Day%203013
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Post by brentbba » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:10 am

HELP - who had the triangular cast iron base for dutch oven coals? I do not remember where you said you'd sourced it. My old $5 Walmart grill base for my dutch oven is shot and they don't carry that little thing any longer...at least my local one doesn't stock it. Too bad - it was a great little solution. I think it was Stagecoach or something like that. TIA!!!

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:28 am

brentbba wrote:HELP - who had the triangular cast iron base for dutch oven coals? I do not remember where you said you'd sourced it. My old $5 Walmart grill base for my dutch oven is shot and they don't carry that little thing any longer...at least my local one doesn't stock it. Too bad - it was a great little solution. I think it was Stagecoach or something like that. TIA!!!
I am not the one who had it, but this is the place http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/catpage1.html#item1 Scroll down a little bit. If you check the rest of the site they have a fair amount of Dutch oven acc.
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Return to “2013 SUMMER FEST / FIELD DAY (JUNE 21-23, 2013)”