Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/hike - Saturday 10/19/13

Here is where we'll plan our annual Borrego Fest event. including amateur radio testing, wheeling, camping, and eating in the desert.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/hike - Saturday 10/19/13

Post by DaveK » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:21 am

Anza Borrego Desert State Park is located just east of the town of Julian. Julian's origin began during in the gold rush days of the late 1800's. Remnants of these mines still exist today, some in quite good condition.

On Saturday I will be doing a run through a triangle of canyons comprised of Rodriguez, Chariot and Oriflamme. Contained within this area, and a bit outside, are several mines, all of which are on private property and almost all of which are fenced off. Three of the top ten gold producing mines are in this area and the owners have given us permission to enter the property to view the the remnants of the operation, which by the way, are in very good condition, given their age (over 100 years). In one location there stands the original 5 stamp mill, with wood frame, including much of the machinery used for the operation. At this mine, the current owner (who is the grandson of the original owner in the 1800's) has offered to give us a tour and some history (the mine is now on his private ranch, which has been in his family for many, many years.) We also have permission to visit the number two and number three top gold producing mines. Both have very impressive mines and machinery.

Each member of the tour will get a copy of the book "A good Camp" by Leland Fetzer (no charge). If you want an early copy, let me know. Otherwise, I will be handing out copies just before the run. The book contains a great description of the history of the area as well as the mines that we will be visiting. Leland will be accompanying us this year on this trip and will share his knowledge of the area as we travel. We will also have a geologist with us who will be giving us an insight into the reasons why the area attracted such interest from prospectors.

One special note: As we travel from mine to mine, Leland will be commenting on various topics related to the area and the mines, via Ham radio. If you can, be sure to bring a radio so you can listen and participate. We will have some additional radios available for listening.

PLEASE NOTE:

1. Rock rails will help as will under carriage protection. Expect brush scratches. All of the remaining OAUSA rules and regulations will be in place. We will stop for lunch at the midway point during the trip. Bring your lunch, drinks, and plenty of water. One of the mines will require wading through about a foot of water and waders or waterproof boots will help.

2. No alcohol will be allowed during the trip.

3. This run requires a certain amount of physical ability. There is a short hike (approximately half mile) involved to reach one mine and a small climb up a dirt face to reach another.

We want to reserve this run for those who have not done it in the past. Depending on the sign-ups, there may be room for some second timers. The run is limited to 8 vehicles so as to minimize the impact on the private land we will use.
The trail through the canyons is easy for the most part. There may be a few sections of Rodriguez that are a little difficult but the reports so far seem to suggest that the road has been "smoothed out".

Lead: DaveK
Tail Gunner:
midsection:
Comms Designee: DaveK
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Meeting Time: 7:30 am
Meeting Place: Butterfield Ranch Resort Group Campsite
Departure Time: 8:00 am
2M Simplex: 145.570
2M Repeater: Laguna Mtn 147.150+ (PL: 107.2) & Monument 147.240+ (PL: 103.5)
APRS: We will be running ARPS on the National frequency

There will be 8 rig maximum for this run with a 3 rig wait list.

Signed Up:
1. Steve wb6twl
2. Tyler (SD07NISMO) and family
3. Greg (gzeleniak)
4. Jaime (DezertScorpion)
5. Chris Schafer
6. xbox73
7. James (PIC4GOD)
8. Moose and Cathy

Waiting list:

Mine Pictures

Ranchita
Ranchita 4.JPG
Ranchita 4.JPG (99.05 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Hubbard
Hubbard 1.jpg
Hubbard 1.jpg (81.78 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Ready Relief
Ready Relief 1.jpg
Ready Relief 1.jpg (93.12 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Golden Sugar (climb to the mine entrance)
Golden Sugar - 2.jpg
Golden Sugar - 2.jpg (141.5 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Golden Chariot
Golden Chariot.jpg
Golden Chariot.jpg (142.46 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

SD07NISMO

Re: Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/hike - Saturday 10/19/13

Post by SD07NISMO » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:40 pm

I would like to sign up for this trail run. My in-laws will be in town for the weekend so I won't be camping, but I would like to take my father in-law on this as a day trip. I have been through the area on my own before but have never participated in the mine tours, looking forward to learning some interesting local history! I know that this event is one of the group's annual fund raisers so I'm planning to make a small donation via PayPal since I won't be staying in the group camp. Do I also need to RSVP in the main thread or just here? Thanks.

Tyler, KJ6MFI
Tyler
'07 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:05 pm

SD07NISMO wrote:I would like to sign up for this trail run. My in-laws will be in town for the weekend so I won't be camping, but I would like to take my father in-law on this as a day trip. I have been through the area on my own before but have never participated in the mine tours, looking forward to learning some interesting local history! I know that this event is one of the group's annual fund raisers so I'm planning to make a small donation via PayPal since I won't be staying in the group camp. Do I also need to RSVP in the main thread or just here? Thanks.

Tyler, KJ6MFI

Tyler

Very glad to have you and the family join us. Welcome.
DaveK
K6DTK

gzeleniak
Call Sign: KJ6NJL

Post by gzeleniak » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:55 pm

I would like to participate in this run. Just me, if the run gets too crowded, maybe I could ride along with someone, or have someone ride with me.

Greg

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 pm

gzeleniak wrote:I would like to participate in this run. Just me, if the run gets too crowded, maybe I could ride along with someone, or have someone ride with me.

Greg

Greg

Welcome. I have you logged in.
DaveK
K6DTK

jjstahl3

Post by jjstahl3 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:20 pm

My family and I would like to sign up for this also - we were last at borregofest in 2010 and missed the mine run then dont want to miss it this year - might be time for some updated decals also

Jay
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-09-11 at 12.20.13 PM.png
2010 Vinyl Decals Borregofest
Screen Shot 2013-09-11 at 12.20.13 PM.png (94.56 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

wb6twl
Call Sign: WB6TWL

Post by wb6twl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Add me to the list.
Steve
WB6TWL
WQXY603

My 4x4 Ford Ranger is NOT a Jeep and it doesn't pretend to be one....It doesn't need to!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Jay and Steve

Glad you can join us. Welcome!
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:48 pm

jjstahl3 wrote:My family and I would like to sign up for this also - we were last at borregofest in 2010 and missed the mine run then dont want to miss it this year - might be time for some updated decals also

Jay

Jay

Great looking decals (stickers?). Tell us more.
DaveK
K6DTK

lehn20

Post by lehn20 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:44 am

Any other runs planned?
Did this one last year.

Return to “2013 BORREGO FEST (October 18-20, 2013)”