Borrego Fest Special Guest Speaker

Here is where we'll plan our annual Borrego Fest event. including amateur radio testing, wheeling, camping, and eating in the desert.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Borrego Fest Special Guest Speaker

Post by DaveK » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:30 pm

On Friday evening Leland Fetzer will be joining us for a presentation on the gold mines of Julian and the Cuyamacas. Leland is the author of the book, "A Good Camp", an excellent history of the gold mining boom which gave birth to the town of Julian. The book is available, from Sunbelt Books (sunbeltbooks.com), for those who wish to get a head start on learning about this fascinating history. If you order, mention OAUSA for a discount.

Date: Friday, October 18, 2013
Time: 8:30 PM

A Good Camp
Attachments
A good Camp.jpg
A good Camp.jpg (10.47 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Borrego Fest Special Guest Speaker

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Looking forward to this talk :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Re: Borrego Fest Special Guest Speaker

Post by taugust » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:58 pm

This should be very interesting.

On a related topic, I just found out that last year's speaker, Diana Lindsey, will be speaking at the Julian Library on Tuesday, Oct. 22nd at 6:00 pm. She will provide a brief introduction to the Marshall South family and their life on Ghost Mountain in Anza-Borrego in the 30's and 40's. As an added bonus, Rider South, Marshall's son, will be in attendance and will speak and answer questions. They are promoting a re-publication of two of Marshall South's novels set in Borrego. This should be a fascinating look back.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

Return to “2013 BORREGO FEST (October 18-20, 2013)”