What to do when you arrive at camp - 2014 Borrego Fest

Here is where we'll plan our annual Borrego Fest event, including Amateur Radio testing, wheeling, camping, and gourmet eating in the desert.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

What to do when you arrive at camp - 2014 Borrego Fest

Post by DaveK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:35 pm

We’re looking forward to a great weekend in the desert with all of you. There are just a few things we want to go over so you know what to expect during the event.

EVENT STAFF (People to look for if you have questions or concerns.):
DaveK (Dark Green Hummer)
Cruiserlarry (Yellow FJ Cruiser with Gobi Rack and Roof Top Tent)
TomS (Red 80’s Series Landcruiser)

WHEN YOU GET THERE:
When you arrive at Butterfield Ranch, please DO NOT check in at the main office. Drive into the camp ground and proceed to the group campsite as identified by the map on the campsite thread. Once you turn into the parking lot you will make a right hand turn and drive past an old fire truck. Keep going just beyond the wooden cabins on your left and make a left hand turn. The cabins will be on your left hand side on that road. Drive to the swimming pool (on your left) and you will see headquarters right in front of you across the road from the pool. Please be mindful of your speed. Speed limits are strictly enforced. If you arrive before 10:00 am on Friday we will not be ready to check you in. We plan on arriving just after 9:00 AM on Friday so we can get registration set up and identify the campsites and get headquarters set up.

We will be setting registration up right across the street from the swimming pool with an Outdoor Adventure USA banner. Upon arriving at camp stop and we will get you checked in. If you arrive at an odd time like mid-day Saturday or later Friday, etc. we will have someone on site at all times to get you checked in and let you know the spots where you can camp. We are only allowed to camp in certain areas. In years past we have had people set up in spots that were not reserved for us and Campsite Management wasn't too pleased. We want to maintain our good standing with Butterfield, so please indulge us and help us out.

BONFIRES:
DO NOT build your own individual fires at your campsite unless there is a fire pit at that spot. The only place where fires are allowed is in the established fire pits. With recent fires near the campsite, there may be additional fire restrictions, so please check with us for any updates, before you start your fire.

SCHEDULED RUNS:
Please check to see what time your runs are scheduled to meet and be there on time. There will be a driver meeting before each run and runs will leave on time. In order to make sure that each run can leave on time, there will be some early opportunities (on Friday) to complete your paperwork and vehicle inspection. We have planned the runs to be back at certain times so everyone can enjoy and prepare for the potluck or other activities. On Friday, we want to get back in time to attend our special presentation.

Please post up if you have any other questions................
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Re: What to do when you arrive at camp - 2014 Borrego Fest

Post by brentbba » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:09 pm

Any update on fire restrictions? I can still get plenty of FREE firewood from my golf club, but certainly don't want to lug it all out there if we can't burn it!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:51 pm

brentbba wrote:Any update on fire restrictions? I can still get plenty of FREE firewood from my golf club, but certainly don't want to lug it all out there if we can't burn it!

Good question!!!

There are no fire restrictions in place, but due to the extremely dry conditions, we have been asked to keep the fires at a reasonable level (no gigantic bonfires!!!)

So..................we'll take all the FREE firewood you can manage. Thanks, Brent!
DaveK
K6DTK

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Post by brentbba » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:46 am

I'll load up my roof rack Friday morning prior to departure and will not bring my fire pit so I can load more wood. Should be the equivalent of about 10-12 or so bundles of wood you'd otherwise have to purchase!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 am

We had a great weekend. For those who would like to post comments, suggestions, run and event reports and pictures, we've opened up a new location where everyone can offer their input: viewtopic.php?f=193&t=3791&start=0 . Thanks to everybody for making this a terrific event!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “2014 BORREGO FEST - OCTOBER 10-12, 2014”