Special Friday Evening Presentation

Here is where we'll plan our annual Borrego Fest event, including Amateur Radio testing, wheeling, camping, and gourmet eating in the desert.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Special Friday Evening Presentation

Post by DaveK » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:40 pm

Most have heard of or watched Huell Howser's "California Gold" TV series, which aired on most Public Broadcasting stations (PBS). Unfortunately, Mr. Howser passed away last year. Shortly before his death, he was involved in producing another episode of California Gold, which never aired. Since the episode was nearly complete, the task of finishing it was taken over by McDonald Productions, and just recently became ready for viewing. John McDonald has offered us a first viewing of the completed project and it will be shown on Friday evening at camp. John offered this preview:
A unique episode of Huell Howser's California's Gold TV series that never aired, featuring John McDonald's documentary, The Ghost Mountain Experiment. Huell and John met in the Anza-Borrego Desert to present the fascinating story about a family who flees the city to live off the land and off the grid. But after 17 years their back-to-nature dream ends as isolation and betrayal take their toll. The director and others involved in the production will be on hand for a Q&A following the screening. DVDs of the episode, including additional bonus features will be on sale with a 20% discount.
Huell Howser  re Ghost Mountain.jpg
Huell Howser re Ghost Mountain.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
SHOWING DETAILS

Date: Friday, October 10, 2014
Time: 7:30PM
Cost: Free

This picture was taken of Marshall South and his family while they were still living on ghost Mountain.
Attachments
Marshall South Family (Large).jpg
Marshall South Family (Large).jpg (64.33 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KK6GFF
Call Sign: KK6GFF

Re: Special Friday Evening Presentation

Post by KK6GFF » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:53 pm

That's fantastic, I'm so impressed by the speakers you bring every year. Unfortunately the weekend of the 2014 Borrego Fest I have an engagement, but if I can I'll try to make it on Friday and maybe stay for this too.
Roger WZ6B
2014 JKUR

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Post by brentbba » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:46 am

This will be sweet Dave!

Nice compliment to the Ghost Mountain hike a year or two ago with the author of the book on Marshall South and his family. We even called his son from up there. He's alive and living in the SD are, at least at that time - in his 70's I think!

While some will say Huell's voice was 'somewhat' grating his stories and places he visited were certainly not and always uniquely interesting.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:32 am

We had a great weekend. For those who would like to post comments, suggestions, run and event reports and pictures, we've opened up a new location where everyone can offer their input: viewtopic.php?f=193&t=3791&start=0 . Thanks to everybody for making this a terrific event!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “2014 BORREGO FEST - OCTOBER 10-12, 2014”