Event and Run Reports

Here is where we'll plan our annual Borrego Fest event, including Amateur Radio testing, wheeling, camping, and gourmet eating in the desert.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Event and Run Reports

Post by DaveK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:25 am

We had a great weekend and there should be some excellent reports and pictures. Please post them all here.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Re: Event and Run Reports

Post by brentbba » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:51 am

Awesome weekend!!

Thanks to Dave, Larry and trail boss John on the Carizo Mtn run! Weather couldn't have been nicer. Quick hike to the rock house and mine just outside Butterfield on Friday afternoon was a great way to begin the weekend, especiallly followed by a dip in the refreshing pool afterward! Food, wine and people both Friday and Saturday evening were wonderful. Views from Carizo Mtn and the run up there were a lot of fun as was the trip back thru the southern portion of Anza.

dlichterman
Call Sign: KD6DL

Post by dlichterman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Since I have no recollection of what you said.....Dave what was that awesome hand washing station setup you had?

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:15 pm

What can I say - it never gets old...

OAUSA BorregoFest 2014 was another fantastic time in the Anza-Borrego desert !!!

The weather was the best I've seen in years...very slight breeze to keep it pleasant in the mid-90s sun during the day, and beautiful clear skies in the mid 60s at night.

The Butterfield Ranch Resort was the perfect base camp for the event - showers, bathrooms, pools, market, electrical hook-ups - everything to make for a relaxing weekend...

The presentation on Friday night on the Huell Howser Marshall South documentary was terrific...

I had the pleasure to lead a great group through a tour of Ricardo Breceda's metal sculptures, culminating in a meeting with the artist himself at his local Borrego Springs warehouse. Mr. Breceda was very accommodating to our group, graciously answering questions, talking about his inspirational process, and his constant personal quest for artistic improvement with each new sculpture he creates. We ven got to see his first attempts at alpacas - the metalwork he used to create the "fur" was fantastic...
IMG_5909.jpg
Ricardo Breceda and the Sculpture Tour group at his warehouse in Borrego Springs
IMG_5909.jpg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
For the first time I can remember, Dave deviated from his schedule - and we almost forgot to get the Potluck started on Saturday night, cause we were all having so much fun after the wine tasting... hanging out around the fire, discussing the day's runs and all types of subjects. Everyone seemed to be having a great time, and the trails claimed no victims this time around....

As always, it's really the people that make BorregoFest so much fun - and this year was no exception. Plenty of old friends and new faces. Thanks to everyone who participated, and for the great conversations, food, and friendship :D
20141011_174820.jpg
Gathering around for the wine-tasting
20141011_174820.jpg (902.98 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
DSCN2637.JPG
One of our desert friends cruising the campground
DSCN2637.JPG (579.22 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
20141011_124903.jpg
One of Ricardo Breceda's desert sculptures
20141011_124903.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 2411 times
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:51 pm

dlichterman wrote:Since I have no recollection of what you said.....Dave what was that awesome hand washing station setup you had?
Daniel

The hand washing station is made by Partner Steel (the same company that makes the stove I was using), and is called the "Wishy Washy". Although their website claims that the soap holder is no longer available, you may be able to find one with a little searching. If not, then fabricating one is not that difficult (which I did). See their website: http://www.partnersteel.com/prod03.htm. You will need to supply the 5 gal bucket and the water source. Also note that there were two sizes available - one for ground use and the other for table use.
Attachments
Wishy Washy.JPG
Wishy Washy.JPG (10 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:43 pm

I'm already looking forward to next year's gathering! It was good to see old and new friends at yet another successful BorregoFest event. The OAUSA crew really outdid themselves! It was a great trip with some amazing set-ups and even greater people! Here are my photos and some info on the run we did up Carrizo Mountain and through Anza-Borrego Desert State Park:

Outdoor Adventure USA's 2014 BorregoFest Run: Carrizo Mountain & Southern Anza Borrego Tour

I awoke at O'dark thirty Saturday morning to head out to the Butterfield Ranch Campground in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, which would serve as headquarters for Outdoor Adventure USA's 2014 BorregoFest event. This would be the 6th annual gathering of 4wheeling, overlanding, and outdoor adventure enthusiast, to enjoy good times on the local desert trails, attractions, as well as amazing food and campfire conversation.

I was feeling a little disappointed that I would only be attending for one day, but also excited to see new and familiar faces and that I would soon be maneuvering my 2000 Jeep Wrangler along some of my favorite rough desert terrain. Its always a pleasure showing people sights they've never seen and places they've never experienced.

From El Cajon, I made my way Northeast along Interstate 8 and CA-79 to the touristy mountain town of Juilan, and then down the grade to Highway S2 and into camp. After a bit of socialization with some old and new friends around the campground, all the folks who had signed up for my run were soon lined up and ready to roll.

From camp, we headed Southeast along Highway S2, and then East on Even Hews Highway (S80) to Painted Gorge Road, where we aired down.

Cast of characters:
John- Jeep Wrangler TJ
Greg - Ford Bronco II
Brian - Toyota FJ Cruiser
Brent - Toyota Landcruiser
Tim - Jeep Wrangler JK
Steve & Shellie - Toyota 4runner
Richard - Toyota Tundra
Simon - Nissan Xterra
Mike - Ford F150
Bill - Land Rover Defender

Painted Gorge, located on the eastern side of the Coyote Mountains, consists of sandstone rocks that over time, have created fantastic shapes and colors. Oranges, reds, purples, and mauves mixed with browns and blacks create a palette of color as the sun illuminates and plays shadows upon this geologic wonder.

Starting to climb up the shelf roads.

Carrizo Mountain is the highest point of the rocky Coyote Mountains, located in the transition zone between the Salton depression of Imperial County, and the mountains and desert valleys of the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park to the west. The range is located not far north of Interstate-8 near the small community of Ocotillo, and is the centerpiece of the Yuha Desert Recreation Area. The surrounding foothills and desert are popular with off-road vehicles and dirt bikes. Few venture up the old mining roads that leads to a turnaround a few hundred feet below the summit.

Looks like I still haven't lost anyone.

Tim and Richard making their way up.

At the end of the road, it is a short 500 foot scramble to the summit of the mountain. At the summit, the entire Anza Borrego Desert State Park comes into view. You can see the Salton Sea (150 feet below sea level) to the northeast, the snow-capped Santa Rosa and San Jacinto ranges to the north, Whale Peak to the northwest, the 6000 foot escarpment of the Laguna Mountains to the west, Mexico to the south, and the Imperial valley to the east.

-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Hanging out near the summit.

We did lose two rigs on the way up. The Xterra was starting to bottom out on the rough terrain and the Bronco II was overheating, so they pulled off at a nice overlook to wait for our return.

Making our way down from the summit.

Stopped for lunch in Coyote Wash under Highway S80.

This now abandoned section of Old Highway 80 was unusual for a desert highway. Most were paved with thin oiled macadam; concrete was used very rarely since it does not hold up as well as asphalt to the temperature extremes found in the desert. This dates from around 1915 and was built next to the former San Diego and Arizona Eastern railroad tracks, visible to the right.

This old road was considered a miracle of modern engineering at the time, but it wasn't until 1940 that a modern road was completed. In 1963, Interstate 8 was completed, making passage through the desert an easy affair with little hint of the previous difficulties. Fortunately for highway fans, there is a lot of the old road remaining.

Crossing under Interstate 8.

Dos Cabezas Road forms an arc from paved Imperial Highway northwest of Ocotillo and runs along the alluvial plain near the base of the Jacumba Mountains. The route travels along easy-to-follow, sandy formed trails through the wide valley between the Jacumba Mountains to the west and the Coyote Mountains to the east.

The Colorado Desert vegetation is stunning in this area, particularly in spring when the ocotillos are flowering, adding their brilliant flags of orange to the landscape. The trail follows part of the route of the San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railroad.

Dos Cabezas siding is set below the stone colored hills of nearby Piedras Grandes. A concrete pad and old water tank remain. The main trail then runs along Montero Wash to return to the highway.

Airing up at the end of the trail.

Checking out all the cool setups around camp.

It was a good time out on the trails and back at camp. A big thanks to everyone who came along for the run!

-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

Nix

Post by Nix » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:56 pm

Big thanks to Dave for his lead on the Julian mine run. It was fun meeting folks, and I hope next time to be able to attend for more than just one day. :)

Here are some pictures I can share.

From Mount Laguna, looking at Monument Peak.

The Potrero, Sawtooth Wilderness, Butterfield Ranch in the distance.

Butterfield Ranch, 10x optical zoom from Mount Laguna.

mtngote
Call Sign: KJ6SJP

Post by mtngote » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Had a great time!! John led us on an awesome run .
It was great to see old friends and meet new ones. Thanx to all who who made this happen. This is always our favorite event. Look forward to next year. See you on the trail....
:D

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:33 pm

I added more photos to my post above.

Great photos of the mine run! Maybe I'll get in on that next year.
mtngote wrote:Had a great time!! John led us on an awesome run.
Thanks! :D
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

Return to “2014 BORREGO FEST - OCTOBER 10-12, 2014”