Facebook

Topics that have been discussed in the past and closed to further posts are placed in this forum to keep the main forum current and relevant.
Willie H
Call Sign: KJ6HEJ

Facebook

Post by Willie H » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:59 pm

To be up front, I don't activly use Facebook. However, it seems like just about everyone else does. Why not OAUSA?

By the way, it was Chazz's thread about link buttons that got me wondering about this.
KJ6HEJ
"So...Is this a response to a failed government"
FJ

smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

Re: Facebook

Post by smslavin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Willie H wrote:To be up front, I don't activly use Facebook.
finally, someone else on the planet that doesn't have an account. i thought i was the last hold out. :D
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:36 pm

I think it would be great idea - however the issue is time.

All of the board members and tech staff for this site are volunteers, and maintaining a Facebook page can be very time-consuming.

I think it is something we should definitely give serious consideration to...but we will likely need to find someone Facebook - savvy who would be willing to keep the page current and clean...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:03 pm

I'd rather see an OAUSA Flickr group, but I'd be happy to lend time to either (or both) when and where I can.

The reason I bring up Flickr: while I've met valuable contacts (and friends) into backcountry travel through both services, it seems most of them have come from Flickr. Actually, that would include everyone at OAUSA now that I think about it... I found you through Frank, whom I met from Flickr.
Chazz Laynedotcom

Willie H
Call Sign: KJ6HEJ

Post by Willie H » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:54 am

First time I have heard of Flickr. That really don't mean a lot though, I still cant figure out the difference between the girl that brushes her teeth with Jack Daniels, and the girl that kissed a girl and liked it. :oops:
KJ6HEJ
"So...Is this a response to a failed government"
FJ

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Well, if I can get a nod from the folks upstairs I'd be happy to get the ball rolling on these.

On Facebook, I'm sure the group in general does enough traveling to get at least one trip report published per month. Pic of the Month could also be showcased over there, and depending on what level of activity is desired on the home page I'm sure there has to be Drupal plug-ins for Facebook integration as well.

A Flickr group would be very easy to manage, and I'm on there all the time anyhow. I think our members would be plenty capable of self-moderation there, so all that would really need done is the occasional invite/promo and keeping the pool free of "misplaced" pictures.
Chazz Laynedotcom

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:30 pm

These sound like great ideas and a good way to help promote the site and official events here.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:43 pm

I've alerted the BOD about this idea, and Chazz's offer to set it up...

Stay tuned... ;)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Post by unwiredadventures » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Chazz Layne wrote:I'd rather see an OAUSA Flickr group, but I'd be happy to lend time to either (or both) when and where I can.
X2 on this. I'm finding Facebook less interesting the more I use it. I also don't like the fact that photos when uploaded to FB are so compressed they loose so much of their quality.
Chazz Layne wrote:The reason I bring up Flickr: while I've met valuable contacts (and friends) into backcountry travel through both services, it seems most of them have come from Flickr. Actually, that would include everyone at OAUSA now that I think about it... I found you through Frank, whom I met from Flickr.
Chazz, I remember. I've experienced the same. So many of my trips have been with people I met on Flickr. There is at lease one other person I know coming to BorregoFest that indirectly found OAUSA from Flickr posts.
'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

socal_rubi

Post by socal_rubi » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:35 am

smslavin wrote:
Willie H wrote:To be up front, I don't activly use Facebook.
finally, someone else on the planet that doesn't have an account. i thought i was the last hold out. :D
I don't have a Facie Space or a Tweety Page
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

Return to “Archived Topics”