Forum Revamp Feedback

Topics that have been discussed in the past and closed to further posts are placed in this forum to keep the main forum current and relevant.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Forum Revamp Feedback

Post by OLLIE » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:03 am

There have been numerous reports that our forums are hard to navigate. You will notice that we are making some changes. So we are going to try to make some changes to make things more user friendly. We aren't changing content but we are streamlining the forums. Let us know what you think. Please ensure that it is constructive feedback. :lol:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

OU812
Call Sign: KJ6COB

Re: Forum Revamp Feedback

Post by OU812 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:54 am

If I can throw my suggestions into the mix...
There are too many forum sections. I know that we cover a lot of different topics on this site but I think this is the number one thing (IMHO) that makes the forum hard to navigate. I always head straight for the "View new posts" link on the top right. But I have had more than one person gripe that there is no way to look at only the active topics. Maybe there is a way to make that link a little more prominent.

This forum is still young in the life span of web forums. And Sooner or later this thing will hit a very rapid growth spurt. Thanks for putting the work in to make it awesome.
KJ6COB

ki6kui
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6KUI

Post by ki6kui » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:38 am

Is the "View active topics" link not giving you what you want? If not, what should it do?
Ken_____________________________________________
KI6KUI
GMRS: WQVE723
You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

OU812
Call Sign: KJ6COB

Post by OU812 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:40 pm

It does exactly what I want it to do. Two people I directed this way commented though that a link such as that didn't exist on this site. I told them they had just missed it and they came back and found it. I think making it a button like the "New Topic" and "Post Reply" buttons would make them more visible. If you don't see it you end up combing thru the 56 different sections in the board index. I’m no web design expert this is just an opinion.
Also in those 56 different forum sections there are a lot of sections that could be combined to de-clutter the forum. For example there is a section for "Outdoor Adventure Vehicles" and a section for "Outdoor Vehicle General Discussion". I understand how these could be separate sections but the site would be easier to navigate if there were less of these.
KJ6COB

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:40 pm

OU812 wrote:It does exactly what I want it to do. Two people I directed this way commented though that a link such as that didn't exist on this site. I told them they had just missed it and they came back and found it. I think making it a button like the "New Topic" and "Post Reply" buttons would make them more visible. If you don't see it you end up combing thru the 56 different sections in the board index. I’m no web design expert this is just an opinion.
Also in those 56 different forum sections there are a lot of sections that could be combined to de-clutter the forum. For example there is a section for "Outdoor Adventure Vehicles" and a section for "Outdoor Vehicle General Discussion". I understand how these could be separate sections but the site would be easier to navigate if there were less of these.

You make valid points and this is exactly the kind of thing we're trying to address. We're also trying to eliminate all the drill downs. One click and you're at the posts as opposed to having multiple subforums.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “Archived Topics”