Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/Hike - Saturday 10/10/15

Here is where we'll plan our annual Borrego Fest event, including Amateur Radio testing, wheeling, camping, and gourmet dining in the desert.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/Hike - Saturday 10/10/15

Post by DaveK » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:05 pm

Anza Borrego Desert State Park is located just east of the town of Julian. Julian's origin began during in the gold rush days of the late 1800's. Remnants of these mines still exist today, some in quite good condition.

On Saturday I will be doing a run through a triangle of canyons comprised of Rodriguez, Chariot and Oriflamme. Contained within this area, and a bit outside, are several mines, all of which are on private property and almost all of which are fenced off. Three of the top ten gold producing mines are in this area and the owners have given us permission to enter the property to view the the remnants of the operation, which by the way, are in very good condition, given their age (over 100 years). In one location there stands the original 5 stamp mill, with wood frame, including much of the machinery used for the operation.

Each member of the tour will get a copy of the book "A good Camp" by Leland Fetzer (no charge). If you want an early copy, let me know. Otherwise, I will be handing out copies just before the run. The book contains a great description of the history of the area as well as the mines that we will be visiting. We may have our OAUSA geologist with us who will give us an insight into the reasons why the area attracted such interest from prospectors.

SPECIAL NOTES:

1. Last year we added a mine to the tour which was the second largest gold producer in the entire Cuyamaca mining district. Over the years, the mine has changed hands many times. New owners took over in the last year and are aggressively returning it to active status.

2. As we travel from mine to mine, we will be commenting on various topics related to the area and the mines, via Ham radio. If you can, be sure to bring a radio so you can listen and participate. We will have some additional radios available for listening.

INFORMATION AND RULES:

1. For the most part, the trail is easy, but you may require 4WD. Rock rails may help as will under carriage protection. Expect brush scratches. All of the remaining OAUSA rules and regulations will be in place. We will stop for lunch at the midway point during the trip. Bring your lunch, drinks, and plenty of water. One of the mines will require wading through about a foot of water and waders or waterproof boots will help. We will attempt this mine if enough people express interest before the run.

2. No alcohol will be allowed during the trip.

3. This run requires a certain amount of physical ability. There is a short hike (approximately half mile) involved to reach one mine and a small climb up a dirt face to reach another.

4. All mines on this tour are on private land. Please respect the land and take all trash out with you. Nothing can be removed from the mines or the land!!!

The run is limited to 8 vehicles so as to minimize the impact on the private land we will use.

Please post your Ham radio call sign with your sign-up.

Lead: DaveK
Tail Gunner:
midsection:
Comms Designee: DaveK
Difficulty: Mostly easy with possibly a short section of moderate
Meeting Time: 7:30 am
Meeting Place: Butterfield Ranch Resort Group Campsite at the OAUSA HQ.
Departure Time: 8:00 am
2M Simplex: 145.570
2M Repeater: Laguna Mtn 147.150+ (PL: 107.2) & Monument 147.240+ (PL: 103.5)
APRS: We will be running ARPS on the National frequency

There will be 8 rig maximum for this run with a 3 rig wait list.

Signed Up:

1. DaveK
2. Jay
3. Kevin

Wait list

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF THE MINES
8.jpg
8.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (93.12 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (154.79 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (99.05 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (81.78 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (141.5 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (185.35 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (142.46 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

BriGuy
Call Sign: Kk6gtb

Re: Julian/Cuyamaca Mine Run/Hike - Saturday 10/10/15

Post by BriGuy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Lurking… what is the expected finish time of this run? Hoping to make it out for the day but the boss has made plans for me Saturday evening.

Brian
K2BBK
Jeep JKUR
______
K2BBK
2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:43 pm

BriGuy wrote:Lurking… what is the expected finish time of this run? Hoping to make it out for the day but the boss has made plans for me Saturday evening.

Brian
K2BBK
Jeep JKUR

Hey Brian

Strictly speaking, there is no exact time of return. I expect that we need to get back to camp somewhere around 4:00PM in order to get the appetizers , wine tasting, and dinner started. Although we hope everyone can see the whole tour, we understand that you may need to leave early. Hope this helps!
DaveK
K6DTK

jjstahl3

Post by jjstahl3 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:40 pm

Sign us up also although we have to bring a different car then the beetle

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:42 pm

jjstahl3 wrote:Sign us up also although we have to bring a different car then the beetle

Welcome Jay.
DaveK
K6DTK

Kdix64

Post by Kdix64 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:28 pm

I would be interested in doing the Julian/Cuyamaca run Kevin, not licensed yet but studying and I've got a radio

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:56 am

Kdix64 wrote:I would be interested in doing the Julian/Cuyamaca run Kevin, not licensed yet but studying and I've got a radio

Welcome Kevin!
DaveK
K6DTK

jjstahl3

Post by jjstahl3 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:00 am

Just a heads up we will not be going on the mine run my wife has a couple friends coming and they don't have the vehicle to do this so we will hike and explore another way Saturday

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:47 am

jjstahl3 wrote:Just a heads up we will not be going on the mine run my wife has a couple friends coming and they don't have the vehicle to do this so we will hike and explore another way Saturday

No need to cancel!! There is plenty of room in the Hummer and other vehicles. Your Call!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “2015 BORREGO FEST - OCTOBER 9-11, 2015”