Julian Mine Tour - October 8, 2016 - Borrego Fest 2016

Plan for 2016 Borrego Fest Here
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Julian Mine Tour - October 8, 2016 - Borrego Fest 2016

Post by DaveK » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:30 am

It looks like there is going to be enough interest to make the run again this year. So, here are the details:

Anza Borrego Desert State Park is located just east of the town of Julian. Julian's origin began during in the gold rush days of the late 1800's. Remnants of many mines still exist today, some in quite good condition.

On Saturday I will be doing a run through a triangle of canyons comprised of Rodriguez, Chariot and Oriflamme. Contained within this area, and a bit outside, are several mines, all of which are on private property and almost all of which are fenced off. Three of the top ten gold producing mines are in this area and the owners have given us permission to enter the property to view the the remnants of the operation, which by the way, are in very good condition, given their age (over 100 years). In one location there stands the original 5 stamp mill, with wood frame, including much of the machinery used for the operation.

Each member of the tour will get a copy of the book "A good Camp" by Leland Fetzer (no charge). If you want an early copy, let me know. Otherwise, I will be handing out copies just before the run. The book contains a great description of the history of the area as well as the mines that we will be visiting.

SPECIAL NOTES:

1. Last year we added a mine to the tour which was the second largest gold producer in the entire Cuyamaca mining district. Over the years, the mine has changed hands many times. New owners took over in the last few years and are aggressively returning it to active status. With a little luck, we may have one of the owners to give us some insight into its history and current status.

2. As we travel from mine to mine, we will be commenting on various topics related to the area and the mines, via Ham radio. If you can, be sure to bring a radio so you can listen and participate. We will have some additional radios available for listening.

INFORMATION AND RULES:

1. For the most part, the trail is easy, but you may require 4WD. Expect brush scratches. All of the remaining OAUSA rules and regulations will be in place. We will stop for lunch at the midway point during the trip. Bring your lunch, drinks, and plenty of water. One of the mines will require wading through about a foot of water and waders or waterproof boots will help. We will attempt this mine if enough people express interest before the run.

2. No alcohol will be allowed during the trip.

3. This run requires a certain amount of physical ability. There is a short hike (approximately half mile) involved to reach one mine and a small climb up a dirt face to reach another.

4. All mines on this tour are on private land. Please respect the land and take all trash out with you. Nothing can be removed from the mines or the land!!!

5. Recommended wear: long pants, good boots, long sleeve shirt, a hat, and good leather gloves.

6. Recommended gear: flashlight, back pack, camera, HT, and water

The run is limited to 8 vehicles so as to minimize the impact on the private land we will use.

Please post your Ham radio call sign with your sign-up.

Lead: DaveK
Tail Gunner:
midsection:
Comms Designee: DaveK
Difficulty: Mostly easy with possibly a short section of moderate
Meeting Time: 7:30 am
Meeting Place: Butterfield Ranch Resort Group Campsite at the OAUSA HQ.
Departure Time: 8:00 am
2M Simplex: 145.570
2M Repeater: Laguna Mtn 147.150+ (PL: 107.2) & Monument 147.240+ (PL: 103.5)
APRS: We will be running ARPS on the National frequency

There will be 8 rig maximum for this run.

Signed Up:

1. DaveK
2. Roger JS
3. Patty and Jon
4. Jack
5. Kevin
6. Rick

SOME PICTURES OF THE MINES:
1.jpg
1.jpg (142.46 KiB) Viewed 668 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (185.35 KiB) Viewed 668 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (141.5 KiB) Viewed 668 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (81.78 KiB) Viewed 668 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (99.05 KiB) Viewed 668 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (154.79 KiB) Viewed 668 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (93.12 KiB) Viewed 668 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 668 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KK6GFF
Call Sign: KK6GFF

Re: Julian Mine Tour - Borrego Fest 2016

Post by KK6GFF » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:16 pm

I heard great things about this tour, if it's happening I'm in!

Roger
Roger WZ6B
2014 JKUR

crismateski01

Post by crismateski01 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:21 pm

I got to go on this a few years back. Great day, and great memories

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

patty_KK6YBW
Call Sign: KK6YBW

Post by patty_KK6YBW » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Looks Fun! I'd love to go.

JackM-KK6WXQ
Call Sign: KK6WXQ

Post by JackM-KK6WXQ » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:05 pm

Looks like a great run...

Please sign me up Dave.

Jack M - KK6WXQ
Jeep TJ

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:15 pm

JackM-KK6WXQ wrote:Looks like a great run...

Please sign me up Dave.

Jack M - KK6WXQ
Jeep TJ

Jack

You're in. Welcome!
DaveK
K6DTK

lrsrngr

Post by lrsrngr » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:11 pm

Dave,

I would like to go on this run but I will only be able to make the run and come out for the day rather than stay day/nights for the camp out. If there is room for me after everything is said and done I will meet you at the prescribed time/place. Otherwise I will understand getting bumped by folks attending Borrego Fest. I had a great run through Holcomb Valley recently and the lure of mining and getting out to see these sites has bit me.

Thanks,

Rick
KK6CTT
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:06 am

lrsrngr wrote:Dave,

I would like to go on this run but I will only be able to make the run and come out for the day rather than stay day/nights for the camp out. If there is room for me after everything is said and done I will meet you at the prescribed time/place. Otherwise I will understand getting bumped by folks attending Borrego Fest. I had a great run through Holcomb Valley recently and the lure of mining and getting out to see these sites has bit me.

Thanks,

Rick
KK6CTT
Rick

The run is open to anyone. You are logged in. Welcome!!! If your schedule permits, you may want to join us after the run for appetizers, wine tasting and dinner. If you are driving back home that night, you may want to go easy on the wine tasting or skip it altogether.

We meet at the Butterfield Ranch RV Resot at 8:00AM, on Saturday, but you will need to get there a little early for the run meeting and vehicle inspection. Call me for directions, information or questions.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Re: Julian Mine Tour - October 8, 2016 - Borrego Fest 2016

Post by DaveK » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks to all who attended. The weekend was a complete success. We've locked this thread and are directing all comments here: viewtopic.php?f=205&t=4005.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “2016 BORREGO FEST - OCTOBER 7-9, 2016”