GENERAL PLANNING

Plan here for the multi-day expedition to some of the most spectacular country in the world. Not an Outdoor Adventure USA sanctioned trip.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

GENERAL PLANNING

Post by DaveK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:23 pm

GASOLINE

I thought I'd raise this topic now so that everyone can begin planning and equipping their rigs. Below, I am posting the general route we will follow for the trip. It may not be exact , but it will be pretty close. This map is just to give a general idea of our route, and I will be getting a much more detailed map to everyone, complete with a GPX file, shortly.

Parashant Trail.JPG
Parashant Trail.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 380 times

As you can tell, we are not planning to make any detours in order to gas-up. The main reason for this is that such a trip requires about a 200 mile round trip in order to re-fuel and it will suck the life out of 1 day of our trip. So we need to each plan on bringing enough gas to make the whole trip. As near as I calculated the miles for this tour, it comes to slightly over 450, and since this does not take into account any side trips, we should plan on the total being higher. Last time we did this route, we had a few members who underestimated their gas requirements, making it necessary to return to St George, in the middle of the trip. We want to avoid this if possible.

There were a couple of members of that trip, however, who brought enough gas, and it is that lesson we need to follow. Here comes the fun part: my recommendation is that each of us needs to carry 6 Jerry Cans of gas (5 gallons each.) This is especially true for anyone whose vehicle gas tank is on the smallish side.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DaveK
Site Admin

Re: GENERAL PLANNING

Post by DaveK » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:58 am

GENERAL GEAR PLANNING

Time to address some general trip planning gear requirements:

1. In addition to gasoline, one of the other essentials will be water. Finding potable water, in the areas we will visit, will be very unlikely. Other than locating natural springs, the only opportunities to refresh our supply will be the Bar 10 Ranch, and possibly Toroweep. There will probably be at least two of us who will be bringing hot water showers, and that will obviously change the amount that we need to carry. For a 10 day trip, if you will be taking advantage of the showers, I recommend at least 20 gallons.

2. I know that at least two of us will be bringing HF equipment. If you have given any thought to long distance communications, this trip would be an excellent opportunity.

3. Since everyone is Ham licensed, we should trade information on local repeaters so that we all can program our radios. Who has access to current repeater guides?

4. Who has a telescope?
DaveK
K6DTK

JumpingCholla

Post by JumpingCholla » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:13 pm

This spreadsheet lists repeaters in the indicated circular area (80 mile radius), from ARRL TravelPlus for Repeaters 18.0.
Parashant Repeaters.xls
(33 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Parashant Repeaters Area.gif
Parashant Repeaters Area.gif (20.63 KiB) Viewed 342 times

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:45 pm

TRIP ITINERARY

The following destinations are planned for the trip, although not necessarily in this order.

Toroweep
Twin Point
Kelly Point
Mt. Logan
Mt Trumbull Schoolhouse
Nampaweep Rock Art Site
Witches Water Pocket
Pakoon Basin
Tassi Ranch
Bar 10 Ranch
Whitmore Canyon Overlook of Grand Canyon (with hike to Colorado River)
Grand Wash Cliffs

The Bar 10 Ranch is a drop off location for those who are doing an abbreviated rafting trip down the Colorado. The Ranch is the only settlement where there is lodging and meals. Staying overnight in their wagons is a real treat, as is their ranch cooking. Time permitting we may try both. Traveling down to the end of the trail at Whitmore Canyon, usually involves sightings of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft taking visitors to the Bar 10.

For the adventurous in the group, the hike down to the bottom of the canyon, from the plateau above, is about a 1000 foot descent, through Devil's Post Pile type terrain. Lunch at the bottom is refreshing!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Jeepergeo

Fuel

Post by Jeepergeo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:09 pm

I'll be in a Jeep TJ, so carrying more than about 10 gallons of extra petrol on the racks will be a challenge for me, and I'm reluctant to carry fuel inside the vehicle. I will take a look and see if there is a safe way to expand that capacity.

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:28 pm

I can carry 2 fuel cans outside on my rig. I have 4 more that I can carry inside the camper. It's not preferred but it's better than carrying them in the passenger compartment and they are NATO style cans so there shouldn't be any leak or odor problems as long as the lid gaskets are good. I will need to add some tie downs to properly secure them.

I hope to have the water system installed in the camper before the trip. If I do, I'll have 20 gallons of water plus a 2.5 gallon hot water heater that runs off of engine coolant. If it's not done I can still bring 20 gallons of potable water in 20l cans and a Zodi hot water heater for showers. I also plan to bring at least 1 gallon of bottled water for drinking each day. I also have a shower tent if we need another one. I will need to watch the weight of my gear load before I get too carried away.

I also plan to bring an HF radio, antenna and field mast. It will be fun to try it out in remote areas if we stop in time to make it worth while to set up in the evening.

We'll have to discuss dividing up the food. I'll have the Engel 45 fridge which I can use as a refrigerator or freezer. On my trip last year I found that it worked pretty well to use it in conjunction with an ice chest where I'd put the frozen food I wanted each day along with ice packs that I'd rotate between the fridge and ice chest to keep the ice chest contents cold and defrost the food.

If I still have room I can bring a telescope. The moon phase won't be ideal as the full moon is on April 29th so we'll have a waning gibbous moon for the duration of the trip. Then again, I have a couple of lunar filters I haven't tried out yet so this would be a good opportunity to try them out. My scope also works well for terrestrial viewing so we could use it for that as well.

I'm looking forward to the trip.

JumpingCholla

Fuel (Jerry) Cans

Post by JumpingCholla » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 am

I ordered four jerry cans from Deutsche Optik (per Dave's suggestion), which seems to have a decent price on what is apparently a sturdy, standard NATO can at four for $156 ($39 each). The Wavian jerry cans seem to be going for around $80 each.

https://deutscheoptik.com/20-liter-jerr ... -four.html

However, I received notice from Deutsche Optik that their cans are on backorder for 2-4 weeks. So, if you need a few and intend to source from DO, better get your orders in.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:58 pm

MAPS

I'm ready to start sending out maps and GPX files of the area. Initially, I need to know if there is anyone whose navigation is capable of using files created in Nat Geo Topo.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:39 pm

GEAR REQUIREMENTS, SET-UP, SAFETY

A lot of general stuff here.

1. Roger - can you bring terrestrial and astronomical telescopes?

2. All - Does anyone need help setting up either Ham radios or APRS?

3. All - best to tell family and friends where you will be along with our itinerary.

4. All - I doubt that there will be any cell phone coverage once we hit dirt. I will be running Airmail (HF email) for the entire trip, making it possible to communicate with anyone, via regular email, regardless of our location. If you want to send and receive emails during the trip using my Airmail, I will need the addresses you wish to use. I must have them well before the start of the trip. Send them to me at my email address, DO NOT post them here.

5. Anyone plan on bringing a generator?

6. Unless there is an objection, we will work in pairs to do meals - in other words, each meal will be handled by two campers. We'll work on assignments later.

7. How many refrigerator units do we have? I know that Roger, Hector, Cholla, and I have them.

8. NOTE: Please be fully gassed up (including your Jerry cans) and have all food purchased as we leave home.

Here is a starter list of gear you will need to carry:

1. Lantern. I prefer a Coleman two mantle, but no need to buy one if you don't have one. A good LED lantern, with decent output should do.
2. Cooking gear, including stove, utensils, fuel for stove, cleaning stuff, pots, pans skillets, etc.
3. First Aid kit - with current, non-expired, stuff.
4. Jack (factory) and Hi-Lift, if possible.
5. Spare tire (with adequate tread and fully inflated) within one size of the 4 on the vehicle.
6. Tire patch kit.
7. Recovery straps.
8. Fire extinguisher.
9. recovery points front and rear.
10. Extraction gear - shovel, D-rings
11. Chair.
12. Table.
13. Paper towels
14. Extra automotive fluids
15. Spare vehicle parts.
16. Drinking water.
17. Hand soap and lotion
18. Trash bags.
19. Coffee mug.
20. Wine glass.
21. Binoculars
22. Tent heater (optional).
23. Spare antenna parts, including a complete antenna assembly.
24. Personal meds.
25. Leather gloves.
26. Day pack (for hikes).

This is a good start. More will follow.
DaveK
K6DTK

Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm currently installing an APRS capable radio, and may have some questions once it is up and running.

As far as a generator or refrigerator, I don't have either in a size appropriate to carry in my Jeep.

Working in pairs on meals sounds like a good way to go.

Not having cell phone coverage significantly increases the attractiveness of this trip from my perspective.

Return to “PARASHANT & NORTH RIM EXPEDITION 2018”