GENERAL PLANNING

Plan here for the multi-day expedition to some of the most spectacular country in the world. Not an Outdoor Adventure USA sanctioned trip.
Jeepergeo

Wavian Jerry Cans

Post by Jeepergeo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:55 pm

JerryCan.com has a deal on Wavian Jerry Cans. The first can is 10% off, the second and subsequent are 20% off. Two cans cost me $135.34 including shipping and tax. I have never dealt with this company before, but they ship from California, so at least the shipping "should" be reasonably fast.

https://www.jerrycan.com/shop/

Update: I received a FedEx shipping tracking number and the Wavian Jerry Cans ordered from this site are scheduled for Thursday, just 3 days from the day ordered.
Last edited by Jeepergeo on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

JumpingCholla

Re: GENERAL PLANNING

Post by JumpingCholla » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:24 pm

That seems a great deal on Wavians!

SAB

Post by SAB » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:44 am

Paul and I have been kicking around meal ideas. One piece of info that would help decide on the quality of the meal to be prepared is an ETA to the daily campsite and an ETD for the daily commute. I really dislike setting up and cooking after the sun goes down and the idea of getting up with the sun to cook and take down the kitchen is kind of a drag when you are on vacation :cry:

So, as far as the itinerary goes, I am curious about the following:
1 For each camp site, is there a guesstimated number of hours for the morning for cook, clean, and pack?
2 Is there a guesstimated travel time between each camp site?
3 For each camp site (taking the previous items into account), is there an guesstimated arrival time at each camp site?

The time allotted to each camp site will determine if we have time for cold sandwiches or something more elaborate like jambalaya. Obviously schedules are subject to change once tires leave the pavement but any WAG would be a help in plan the menu.

JumpingCholla

Post by JumpingCholla » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:43 am

Good thinking, Scott. Yesterday evening, I was reviewing the itinerary which Dave emailed us on March 14th. Overall, the pace appears fairly leisurely (assuming typical high ground clearance roads) which probably accommodates your preferences. The first and last days, though, will include legs of the round trip home in addition to off-road travel.

On Thursday probably after the net, Dave and I can talk while looking at maps to determine an approximate mileage for each leg of the trip. I'm delighted that Dave set up some two-night stays which will reduce the need for making and breaking camp.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Cholla and SAB

I too am not fond of arriving late at camp, especially after dark, and having to prepare a a meal. As things stand, I think we can meet my goal of arriving at every camp around mid afternoon (3:00 or so). I want to leave camp no later than 9:00AM. There are some unknowns that may interfere a little, but we will try to keep this schedule as much as possible.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Re: Wavian Jerry Cans

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Jeepergeo wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:55 pm
JerryCan.com has a deal on Wavian Jerry Cans. The first can is 10% off, the second and subsequent are 20% off. Two cans cost me $135.34 including shipping and tax. I have never dealt with this company before, but they ship from California, so at least the shipping "should" be reasonably fast.

https://www.jerrycan.com/shop/
I ended up ordering my jerry cans from Sportmans Guide https://www.sportsmansguide.com. Total cost for 4 cans was $120.95 including tax. Shipping was free, they had a free shipping code on their website. The only glitch is they can not be shipped to California. Fortunately I have a trip planned to Arizona so I'm having them shipped there and I'll just pick them up when I get there. They look just like the Wavian but it's hard to tell from a picture how well constructed they are. I'm not sure if the inside is coated to prevent rust etc. like the Wavian. I'll find out when I pick them up.
Phil

"Never lost always exploring"

"National parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst"
Wallace Stegner

JumpingCholla

Post by JumpingCholla » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:26 pm

I received my four Jerry cans from Wavian today. Each had its own California-approved spout (which in my experience is egregiously slow) ... that I would be happy to part with for the $40 extra that it probably cost me. :roll: Wavian sticker free to first purchaser.

DaveK
Site Admin

Re: GAS CANS

Post by DaveK » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 am

REMINDER

i recommend 6 Jerry cans of gas (5 gallons each.)

Water is not availabale in the Parashant, with the exception of natural springs. Relying on springs is risky and we should not depend on them. The only other exception is the Bar 10 Ranch where we will be able to resupply. The Bar !0 Visit comes near the end of the trip, so we need to have enough to make it that point. Depending on the extent to which you will take advantage of our showers, I recommend that you carry at least 20 gallons of water. Between cooking, hand washing, dish washing, and drinking, your water needs can mount up quickly.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:18 pm

SHOWERS

I'm trying to get a count on who is bringing showers and what kind. Please post up!
DaveK
K6DTK

JumpingCholla

Post by JumpingCholla » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Just a gravity fed tube attached to a black plastic bag. Mainly expecting to use body wipes.

Return to “PARASHANT & NORTH RIM EXPEDITION 2018”