GENERAL PLANNING

Plan here for the multi-day expedition to some of the most spectacular country in the world. Not an Outdoor Adventure USA sanctioned trip.
RogerD

Re: GENERAL PLANNING

Post by RogerD » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:48 pm

I plan to bring my shower tent. I've started using a converted pressure garden sprayer as a shower. I fill it with warm water heated on the stove. I find that it's less hassle than using the Zodi and uses much less water. I can get a decent shower and wash my hair with about 3/4 of a gallon of water.

Dave, what do you use for a floor in your shower? The only times I've used my shower tent has been on grass so dirt and runoff wasn't a problem. I have the floor from my old shower tent which basically acts like a kiddie pool and collects the water. It has a hose bib to act as a drain but just for myself I never get enough water in it to really use it except to tilt it up and empty it when I"m done. I have one of those folding wooden platforms that I carry for use in questionable campground showers. Do you think that will be adequate for use on dirt?

RogerD

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 pm

RogerD wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Dave, what do you use for a floor in your shower? The only times I've used my shower tent has been on grass so dirt and runoff wasn't a problem. I have the floor from my old shower tent which basically acts like a kiddie pool and collects the water. It has a hose bib to act as a drain but just for myself I never get enough water in it to really use it except to tilt it up and empty it when I"m done. I have one of those folding wooden platforms that I carry for use in questionable campground showers. Do you think that will be adequate for use on dirt?

RogerD
I have a friend in the wood working business who made a shower deck for me (below.) It has channels on the underneath side that allow the water to flow out and not collect under the shower. In your case, the wooden platform should be sufficient.
Shower grate DTK.jpg
Shower grate DTK.jpg (830.27 KiB) Viewed 108 times
Shower grate DTK-2.jpg
Shower grate DTK-2.jpg (853.23 KiB) Viewed 108 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:19 pm

LAST MINUTE DETAILS

1. If you have running boards, low slung air dams, or anything that hangs low, they all should be removed. The customary trail rule is that, if your don't remove them, the trail will. I've seen running boards get ripped off and its not pretty!!!

2. If you do not have rock rails, you may want to consider them. We will work to spot you so as to minimize or eliminate rocker panel damage, but no guarantees.

3. You WILL get brush scratches.

4. Hopefully your vehicle has some undercarriage protection.

5. Even though it's a week out, the current weather is looking great.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:41 pm

DaveK wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:18 pm
SHOWERS

I'm trying to get a count on who is bringing showers and what kind. Please post up!
As I mentioned somewhere. Don't remember where but I'll re-post here.

I'm bringing a shower tent, Hello shower (https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/helio-shower/), and teak floor.
Phil

"Never lost always exploring"

"National parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst"
Wallace Stegner

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:06 pm

All,

It looks like we'll have an opportunity to do a comparison test and write up on shower tents for a future net.

RogerD

Return to “PARASHANT & NORTH RIM EXPEDITION 2018”