Carrying?

Plan here for the multi-day expedition to some of the most spectacular country in the world. Not an Outdoor Adventure USA sanctioned trip.
JumpingCholla

Carrying?

Post by JumpingCholla » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:27 pm

From https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/arizona/: "Arizona respects the right of all U.S. citizens to carry a concealed handgun with or without a permit, or to carry openly while in this state. An Arizona resident permit can be obtained for the purposes of carrying concealed while in other states that offer recognition or reciprocity."

I view family and group protection as a personal responsibility whether or not a particular state makes this more or less difficult. Arizona’s law is quite consistent with my own beliefs, though would prefer that people seek proper training before exercising these rights.

During many years of camping and always having protection available, I’ve only experienced one incident where I felt the need to openly expose a firearm to avert a potential misunderstanding about my firm intention to protect my camp and companions, so I can live without open carry especially due to our group size. However, it is my intent to possibly open carry during our expedition, though may opt not to carry if others are doing so as I will benefit from their protection.

Should I carry concealed, including in my tent at night, you will not be aware of it.

In the interests of ensuring that everyone is comfortable during our trip, I’d like to open this conversation.

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Re: Carrying?

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:08 pm

I am very happy to support your and anyone's right to carry and I'm comfortable with your choice.
Phil

"Never lost always exploring"

"National parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst"
Wallace Stegner

JumpingCholla

Post by JumpingCholla » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:45 am

Thank you, Phil.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Jumping

The beauty of living in a state that recognizes the right of self defense, is that your are actually allowed to do so. The term, "shall not be infringed" is abundantly clear and stated in plain-enough English for most. Exercise your rights, and be safe!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

JumpingCholla

Re: Carrying?: Response from Mohave County Sheriff

Post by JumpingCholla » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Mohave County Sheriff,

I am a California resident with a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit.

I will be in the Grand Parashant area for a 10-day off-road trip during May.

I just wanted to verify my understanding that while in Arizona I could legally open carry, concealed carry, or carry in my vehicle a loaded firearm.

Thank you.

Jumping Cholla
_________________________________________________________________________________

You are correct, in Arizona you can legally open carry, concealed carry, or carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle. The best course of action if you do have contact with law enforcement is to just declare you are carrying a firearm.

Thanks
sheriff.png
sheriff.png (15.08 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Lieutenant Steve Padilla, D1 Patrol
Mohave County Sheriff Office
600 W Beale Street, Kingman, Az. 86401
Office Phone- 928-753-0753 ext. 4354
Cell- 928-715-2326

Email- Stephen.Padilla@mohavecounty.us

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Arizona........................what a wonderful place to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Jeepergeo

NPS on Firearms in the Grand Canyon Parashant

Post by Jeepergeo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:08 am

From the National Park Service - Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument Web site
https://www.nps.gov/para/learn/manageme ... -rules.htm

Firearms Rules
As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please visit our state’s website.

Arizona State Revised States, Title 13, Chapter 31 Weapons [this is a defunct link that now redirects to a legislative web site]

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this monument; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.

JumpingCholla

Post by JumpingCholla » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks. I'm aware of that change in law and will hang my pistolas on the hitching post before entering any such facility.

Return to “PARASHANT & NORTH RIM EXPEDITION 2018”