MEALS

Plan here for the multi-day expedition to some of the most spectacular country in the world. Not an Outdoor Adventure USA sanctioned trip.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

MEALS

Post by DaveK » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:51 am

MEALS

After much consideration and input from everyone, we have decided to break down meal assignments into 2 groups, as follows:

Group 1
Cholla +1
SAB
John

Group 2
Hector
Roger
Jeeper
Phil
Dave

I'll post information for Group 2 and Cholla will post information for Group 1.

As I see it, we all have 26 meals for which to prepare:

1. 3/3 D
2. 3/4 BLD
3. 3/5 BLD
4. 3/6 BLD
5. 3/7 BLD
6. 3/8 BLD
7. 3/9 BLD
8. 3/10 BLD
9. 3/11 BLD
10. 3/12 B

Breakfasts 9
Lunches 8
Dinners 9
Total 26

With 5 in group #2, I randomly picked the following assignments. Let us know if this works.
Note: Everyone has 5 assignments with the exception of Jeeper, who has 6. If this creates a problem, I will take care of it.

Meal Plan 2.jpg
Meal Plan 2.jpg (38.56 KiB) Viewed 157 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

JumpingCholla

Re: MEALS

Post by JumpingCholla » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:12 pm

BA9EAFDE-16F3-49DB-9420-113C6F9749FB.jpeg
BA9EAFDE-16F3-49DB-9420-113C6F9749FB.jpeg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 160 times
Last edited by JumpingCholla on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 pm

JumpingCholla - Nice Chart!

Dave - The dates should be 5/3, 5/4...5/12.

Group 2 - I'm OK with the assignments. In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm traveling with Ice Chest and not refrigeration or freezer, so I figure I can cover fresh eats through the 6th, and after that, it will need to transition to more stable veggies and dry goods and canned goods.

Everyone - We probably don't need 8 dutch ovens, 8 stoves, 8 big pots, 8 coffee pots, 8 etc. It seems like it would make sense to maybe have two of each for each group. Any thoughts on communal gear?

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:10 am

Comments:

1. I corrected the dates on the meal chart for Group 2.

2. With regard to the dates for the Bar 10, I believe that we should still plan on having those meals ready, just in case we have a refrigerator or ice chest that goes bad and takes the food with it. I have one dinner for the Bar 10 date and I will be bringing it for a back-up. Phil has the other meal and I recommend that you bring enough to make it, just in case. I would rather have a little extra than not enough. Going to the supermarket to buy stuff just isn't an option.

3. I know that we will not have 9 Dutch ovens. I don't use one for my meals and I suspect there are others. Regardless, I think Jeeper has a point. For those whose vehicles that are on the small side, they may want to coordinate with others who are bringing necessary kitchen gear. I'm sure we can all share.

4. On the issue of ice chests, and refrigerators, there are a few considerations. The first thing is the length of the trip and the need to keep certain food frozen (meats immediately come to mind, but there are others.) For those who have refrigerators, it should not be necessary to either carry a separate unit for freezing or devote your entire unit for freezing. I know for my fridge, it came with a thick white plastic divider that allowed the unit to be a dual zone refrigerator, with the items below the divider to be kept at freezing and the items above to be kept at normal refrigerator temps. I think Roger is devoting his fridge to a freezer and he may have some room to spare. Roger???

NOTE:
Regardless of the type of cooler you have, you should freeze (before we depart for the trip) those items that we will not be using immediately, and, if necessary, transfer them to the freezers as soon as possible. One possible solution for those with ice chests is dry ice. Properly segregated from the other items in your cooler, dry ice will keep food frozen for quite a while, and certainly long enough to transfer it to a freezer.

The second thing concerns those who are using ice chests. Since we are staying at Twin Point for two days, I suggest that we make the necessary adjustments at this camp to accommodate the freezer needs as well as the other things that will not remain cold in the ice chests. As I recall, Hector, Cholla, Roger, Phil, and Dave all have refrigerators. Anyone else?
DaveK
K6DTK

Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:22 pm

Here's the start of a meal planning spreadsheet for Group 1, using a format similar to that started by Group 2.

This was originally created in Google Sheets, but I've attached the spreadsheet in Excel in case you want to fill in your meal ideas. If you use the spreadsheet, update it and then re-post it. The next user should use the most recently posted version to keep it current.
Parashant Trip 2018 - Group 1 Meal Planning.JPG
Parashant Trip 2018 - Group 1 Meal Planning.JPG (117.01 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Parashant Trip 2018 - Group 1 Meal Planning.xlsx
(6.06 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:39 am

Dave,

1. Are there any restrictions where we are going regarding the use of open fires or charcoal (for Dutch ovens)?

2. Are we planning on having campfires?

I wasn't planning on bringing any Dutch oven equipment due to the weight, need for charcoal, and not knowing about fire restrictions. The same for firewood. If there aren't any fire restrictions and someone is bringing Dutch ovens that I can use please let me know so I can factor that into my meal planning.

Here is the spreadsheet updated with my input -
Thanks,

RogerD
Last edited by RogerD on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeepergeo

Camp Fires at Grand Canyon Parashant

Post by Jeepergeo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:22 am

Here's fire information from the Park Superintendent's web page:
https://www.nps.gov/para/learn/manageme ... ations.htm

36 CFR §2.1 – PRESERVATION OF NATURAL, CULTURAL AND ARCHEOLOGICAL RESOURCES

(a)(4) Dead wood on the ground may be collected for use as fuel for campfires within the monument in the following areas:

Dead and downed wood, on the ground, may be collected and used for campfires any where within and for the personal use within the Monument (2008 RMP/GMP decision, MA-RR-18)

36 CFR 2.13 – FIRES

(a)(1) The lighting or maintaining of fires under the conditions noted:

Fires are permitted in grills, fire rings, portable stoves, portable barbecues, and portable fireplaces throughout the backcountry with the exception of specific posted locations that include historic sites and within designated cultural landscapes.

Ground fires are not permitted at any historic or archeological site.

The use of woods or items to produce a fire may not have foreign materials like staples, nails, screws, or plastics. All trash must be removed from fire pits upon completion of use. No glass is allowed in fire pits.

The campfire may not exceed four feet height and four feet wide at any time.

(Natural resource impacts occur when campers utilize an area for overnight stays. Campfires traditionally are the source for reducing camp trash associated with meals and reducing intrusions by wildlife and the amounts of trash hauled out of the backcountry. Campfire debris accumulates to where campers relocate the fire ring which impacts and expands the overall campsite footprint)

(b) Fires must be fully extinguished according to the following conditions:

Burning of garbage, refuse, or discarded materials (regardless of the physical make up of the items) is prohibited.

Fire restrictions posted by the Superintendent.
(Fully extinguished per Smokey the Bear: Extinguishing Your Campfire)

When you're ready to put out your fire follow these guidelines:

1.Allow the wood to burn completely to ash, if possible

2.Pour lots of water on the fire, drown ALL embers, not just the red ones

3.Pour until hissing sound stops

4.Stir the campfire ashes and embers with a shovel

5.Scrape the sticks and logs to remove any embers

6.Stir and make sure everything is wet and they are cold to the touch

7.If you do not have water, use dirt. Mix enough dirt or sand with the embers. Continue adding and stirring until all material is cool. Remember: do NOT bury the fire as the fire will continue to smolder and could catch roots on fire that will eventually get to the surface and start a wildfire)

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:48 pm

I noticed some look like they are providing beverages with their meals. I was thinking everyone would bring there own beverages. What does everyone think??

Here is Group's 2 updated spreadsheet with my info.
Phil

"Never lost always exploring"

"National parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst"
Wallace Stegner

Jeepergeo

Meal Beverages and Personal Utensils

Post by Jeepergeo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:42 am

Voodoo Blue 57 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:48 pm
I noticed some look like they are providing beverages with their meals. I was thinking everyone would bring there own beverages. What does everyone think??

Here is Group's 2 updated spreadsheet with my info.

Parashant Trip 2018 - Group 1 Meal Planning - Copy.xls
I'm OK either way on meal beverages. So not to be wishy-washy, if this went to a vote, I'd go with everyone bringing their own beverage for meals.

On a similar topic, what is the consensus on plates, bowls, and utensels for each meal? Everyone bring their own? That would get a Yes vote from me.
Last edited by Jeepergeo on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:38 am

All

1. On the beverage question, It seems like a compromise may be a good approach. While I plan on making coffee and orange juice for my breakfast, not everyone will do so, (which is not a problem.) For my lunches, I expect that each person would provide their own. For evening time, I plan on bringing wine, but I also know that not everyone drinks. So, to accommodate everyone's preferences, having your own beverages, with some exceptions, sounds like a good idea.

2. On the plates, cups, utensils question, I suggest the following:
  • I plan on bringing paper plates for everyone for my meals (saves on clean-up)
  • each person should have their own reusable coffee cup that will work for all drinks (except wine)
  • I provide eating utensils for my meals. I'm perfectly OK if each person wants to 'bring their own
  • If you are joining the wine drinkers, I suggest you bring your own glass (stainless steel not recommended)
  • Each person should bring at least one roll of paper towels
3. For personal hygiene, each person should bring their own toilet paper, shovel, and seat. Bury it folks, at least 6-12 inches in the ground.

4. Meals should be a group affair, as should eating. For this, we need a few tables. I have one that will seat 4. We need more. Don't forget your chairs.

5. Each person in charge of a meal should provide a hand washing station which everyone, cooks especially, must use.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “PARASHANT & NORTH RIM EXPEDITION 2018”