MEALS

Plan here for the multi-day expedition to some of the most spectacular country in the world. Not an Outdoor Adventure USA sanctioned trip.
RogerD

Re: MEALS

Post by RogerD » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:32 pm

All,

I'm bringing all the ingredients for my meals but I would appreciate some sous chef assistance from those with frying pans in my group.

For my breakfast if we will be spending a leisurely day in camp I'm assuming people will be getting up at different times so the breakfast bar will be open for several hours. If we're leaving at a specific time for a side trip then I will need some help making pancakes that morning. Extra coffee that morning would be greatly appreciated since I can only make it one cup at a time. I'll have the coffee bar going each morning as well depending on available time.

I plan to provide plates and utensils for my meals.

I will be bringing two tables, an aluminum prep/cooking table and a nicer wood dining/happy hour hors douvers table. I only plan to bring 2 chairs unless we need more.

Hopefully a case (12 bottles) of wine will be sufficient for my contribution.

I will be bringing Gatoraid and bottled tea for lunches. If people prefer something else then please supply your own beverage.

Dave - should I bring an extra hand washing station and shower tent? I'm not planning on bringing the Zodi for showers but rather use a garden spray bottle with filled with warm water. I found that works quite well, uses less water, and is generally less hassle than the Zodi.

Roger

Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:58 pm

I'm bringing a 12" Lodge Dutch Oven for two of the meals that I'm planning. Others are welcome to use it too.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 am

See my comments in blue.

RogerD wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:32 pm
All,

I'm bringing all the ingredients for my meals but I would appreciate some sous chef assistance from those with frying pans in my group.

I have a frying pan and will help with any meal prep and clean-up you need

For my breakfast if we will be spending a leisurely day in camp I'm assuming people will be getting up at different times so the breakfast bar will be open for several hours. If we're leaving at a specific time for a side trip then I will need some help making pancakes that morning. Extra coffee that morning would be greatly appreciated since I can only make it one cup at a time. I'll have the coffee bar going each morning as well depending on available time.

The length of time that the kitchen remains open is entirely your call. I'd be happy to make coffee and help with meal prep and clean-up .

I will be bringing two tables, an aluminum prep/cooking table and a nicer wood dining/happy hour hors douvers table. I only plan to bring 2 chairs unless we need more.

If you need two chairs for yourself, thats fine. Otherwise I think everyone will have their own.

Roger, your my kind of camper. 12 will do!!!!!!!

I will be bringing Gatoraid and bottled tea for lunches. If people prefer something else then please supply your own beverage.

Dave - should I bring an extra hand washing station and shower tent? I'm not planning on bringing the Zodi for showers but rather use a garden spray bottle with filled with warm water. I found that works quite well, uses less water, and is generally less hassle than the Zodi.

On the shower question, the answer will depend on how much room you have. I suppose we first should find out who is bringing a shower. If I'm the only one, then we may need another one or two. On the hand washing question, the answer is probably yes. I'm still debating on whether to bring the wishy washy. If the cook and his helpers don't have a means to wash hands, then we will need to supply one. We need to be very insistent about this. We should discuss this more.

Roger
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:45 pm

See my comments in red.

If this is anything like passed trips, everyone pitches in to help prep and clean up.

Phil
DaveK wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:33 am
See my comments in blue.

RogerD wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:32 pm
All,

I have a frying pan and will help with any meal prep and clean-up you need

The length of time that the kitchen remains open is entirely your call. I'd be happy to make coffee and help with meal prep and clean-up .

I plan on providing paper plates for my meals but would like everyone to bring their own utensils.

If you need two chairs for yourself, thats fine. Otherwise I think everyone will have their own.

I was going to bring a couple of tables but with since there seems to be plenty, I'll just bring my prep table.

Roger, your my kind of camper. 12 will do!!!!!!!

I'm bringing water and lemonade vitamin water for lunches.

I will have hand sanitizer and hand wipes as well as soap and water.

On the shower question, the answer will depend on how much room you have. I suppose we first should find out who is bringing a shower. If I'm the only one, then we may need another one or two. On the hand washing question, the answer is probably yes. I'm still debating on whether to bring the wishy washy. If the cook and his helpers don't have a means to wash hands, then we will need to supply one. We need to be very insistent about this. We should discuss this more.

I'm brining a shower shelter and shower. Mine is a Nemo Helio Shower. https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/helio-shower/ Everyone is free to use it, just bring warm/hot water, soap etc.

Roger
Phil

"Never lost always exploring"

"National parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst"
Wallace Stegner

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:27 pm

All,

If anyone needs a large pot I will have a 5qt pot with high and low steamer/collendar baskets and a 5 1/2 qt enamel lined dutch oven (stovetop or oven type, not for charcoal cooking).

RogerD

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:50 am

RogerD wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:39 am
Dave,

1. Are there any restrictions where we are going regarding the use of open fires or charcoal (for Dutch ovens)?

2. Are we planning on having campfires?

I wasn't planning on bringing any Dutch oven equipment due to the weight, need for charcoal, and not knowing about fire restrictions. The same for firewood. If there aren't any fire restrictions and someone is bringing Dutch ovens that I can use please let me know so I can factor that into my meal planning.

Here is the spreadsheet updated with my input -

Parashant Trip 2018 - Group 1 Meal Planning - Copy.xlsx

Thanks,

RogerD

Roger

There are no fire restrictions in place now. It’s too early in the season.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “PARASHANT & NORTH RIM EXPEDITION 2018”