Plan for our 2018 Borrego Fest here
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Ham Radio Event and General Comms - Borrego Fest 2018

Post by DaveK » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:48 am

Ham Radio Event and General Comms

Ham Radio Event

During the weekend of Borrego Fest this year, we will be participating in the California QSO Party (CQP) under the special club callsign of W6O. The California QSO event has been an ongoing competition since 1966. The official website (http://www.cqp.org/) says this about the event
The California QSO Party (CQP) is held every year on the first weekend of October. The first CQP took place in 1966. Since 1974, the Northern California Contest Club (NCCC) has sponsored CQP. CQP has traditionally opened the annual contest season by providing an opportunity for contesters to prepare for the ARRL November Sweepstakes since the format is similar.

Stations outside of California, worldwide, work stations in California only. The 58 counties of CA are the multipliers. California stations work all stations in or out of CA. The 50 US states and 8 Canadian areas are the multipliers. Stations outside of Canada and the US add to one's QSO total but do not count as multipliers.
The event begins at 1600 UTC October 6, 2018 and runs until 2200 UTC October 7, 2018. Check out the CQP website for more details.

General Comms

During all three days of Borrego Fest, Hector Figueroa, KE6VRL, Larry Bernstein W6LPB, and Warren Pennington, KK6OJR, will be operating an Amateur Radio "shack" in the desert, in camp. In addition to several HF bands, their setup will serve as comms central for all of the runs on Saturday and a 2 meter call-in station on 145.570 simplex.

With a little encouragement, I think we can get Hector to do an APRS demo, a demo on working satellites (the ISS?), and maybe even a little fox hunting. If time permits, I may be able to do a HF email demo.

Repeaters

There are high level repeaters that serve the general Anza Borrego area very well. If you are on a run, need to contact us for help or directions, or just want to chat, you will need to program these repeaters into your rig:
  • 1. Monument 147.240, (+), 103.5

2. Black Mtn. 147.120, (+), 103.5

3. Laguna Mtn 147.150, (+), 107.2
APRS

Several us us will be running APRS, and surprisingly enough, it works well in the park and surrounding areas. If you are running solo, on a run, or traveling anywhere in the area, your APRS signal can be an important tool in providing assistance. In past years, my tracks were recorded (by APRS.fi), and it shows good coverage from Julian to the camp. In the image below you can see my route as I traveled from Temecula to camp. The track that terminates at the southern end of this picture is the Butterfield Ranch Resort. Click the image to enlarge it.

APRS Coverage to Camp.JPG
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Ham Radio Event and General Comms - Borrego Fest 2018

Post by DaveK » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks to all who attended.

The weekend was a complete success. We've locked this thread and are directing all comments here: viewtopic.php?f=213&t=4197.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “2018 BORREGO FEST - OCTOBER 5-7, 2018 - ANZA BORREGO DESERT”