Julian Mine Run - Saturday, October 6, 2018

Plan for our 2018 Borrego Fest here
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Julian Mine Run - Saturday, October 6, 2018

Post by DaveK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:50 pm

JULIAN MINE RUN

For several years now we have done the Mine run. If there is enough interest this year, we will do it again. For those who would like to participate, you will need to post your interest here.

BRIEF HISTORY

Anza Borrego Desert State Park is located just east of the town of Julian. The town sprang to life shortly after the discovery of gold in the late 1800's, and unlike many boom towns, Julian still exists today, (but as a very popular mountain destination, retaining much of it's early history and appearance.) Remnants of many mines still exist today, with some in quite good condition.

The run will be through several canyons that held sufficiently large quantities of gold to create the boom. Contained within these areas are several mines, all of which are on private property and almost all of which are fenced off. Three of the top eight gold producing mines are in this area and the owners have given us permission to enter the property to view the the remnants of the operation, which by the way, are in very good condition, given their age (over 100 years). In one location, there stands the original wooden 5 stamp mill, in it's original location, along with much of the machinery used for the operation. It is only one of two which remain today of the 75 or so that once existed.

Each member of the tour will get a copy of the book "A good Camp" by Leland Fetzer (no charge). If you want an early copy, let me know. Otherwise, I will be handing out copies just before the run. The book contains a great description of the history of the area as well as the mines that we will be visiting.

If there is enough interest, I will post additional information and some pictures.

One teaser, for now:

4.jpg
4.jpg (81.78 KiB) Viewed 97 times

CONFIRMED LIST

1. DaveK
2. Ben
3. Paul & Sami
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KK6DYO
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Re: Julian Mine Run - Saturday, October 6, 2018

Post by KK6DYO » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Please add Paul and Sami. Thanks.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:14 pm

KK6DYO wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:14 pm
Please add Paul and Sami. Thanks.
Welcome!

Be sure to wear boots and long pants. Also bring some leather gloves and a good flashlight.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks to all who attended.

The weekend was a complete success. We've locked this thread and are directing all comments here: viewtopic.php?f=213&t=4197.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “2018 BORREGO FEST - OCTOBER 5-7, 2018 - ANZA BORREGO DESERT”