2019 Field Day / Summer Fest Sign-up, General Info & Planning

Plan for the 2019 Field Day and Summer Fest here
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

2019 Field Day / Summer Fest Sign-up, General Info & Planning

Post by DaveK » Mon May 06, 2019 1:54 pm

2019 Field Day / Summer Fest Sign-up, General Info & Planning - June 21-23, 2019

It's time to start planning our annual Field Day and Summer Fest event - it's a little more than a month away!!!!! You will need to sign up early if you plan on attending. Also, be sure to read this entire post as there are some great new changes that we are pleased to announce. Also, note that there are a limited number of spaces in the group area.

This year, we are changing the event location to the Mt. Pinos Campground in the Los Padres National Forest. We discovered this camp by accident last year, and it clearly offered us an improvement over our previous location at McGill. Fortunately, Mt. Pinos is located just a few minutes from McGill, and as before, it is located about an hour's drive north of Los Angeles. This will be a family event involving three days of camping in the mountains (elevation 7800 feet), an official ARRL Field Day competition, several trail runs, great food and drink, and an opportunity to relax in the mountains of the Los Padres National Forest. We will also offer all levels of Amateur Radio license testing on Sunday.

There will be a pot luck and Dutch Oven cook-off on Saturday evening combined with wine tasting.

For those who want to explore the area, there are hiking trails and hundreds of miles of off pavement roads, including some of the more challenging, (Miller Jeep Trail). The camp site is accessible by paved roads and all vehicles are welcome.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you wish to attend during the day, to participate in the Field day event (not staying overnight), there is no charge. Everyone who wants to so participate is welcome!!!

FIELD DAY HEADQUARTERS

Field Day Stations 2.JPG
Field Day Stations 2.JPG (208.05 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

CAMP

IMG_0218 (Large).JPG
IMG_0218 (Large).JPG (205.27 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
IMG_0226 (Large).JPG
IMG_0226 (Large).JPG (193.13 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

GENERAL INFORMATION

PLEASE NOTE:
We have reserved several of the available campsites and anticipate that we will have sufficient space for all who want to attend, but the number of camp spots is limited. We encourage campers to "tent camp" as this will ensure that we make as much space available as possible for all to attend. For this event, trailers will count as vehicles. To avoid having to pay a double fee for your trailer and your vehicle, you can leave your trailer at the camp and park your vehicle at the vehicle overflow (for a small fee - $10.00.) Each campsite can accommodate two campers.

DATES
June 21-23, 2019 (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)

Cuddy Valley Rd
Frazier Park, California 93225

Mt. Pinos is part of Los Padres National Forest and is situated in a mixed conifer forest in the Pinos Mountains, at an altitude of 7,800 feet. From Los Angeles, it is only about an hour's drive. Campground temperatures are typically 15 to 20 degrees cooler than the Los Angeles Basin.

The area is in the northeastern part of Los Padres National Forest and offers over 1,200 miles of maintained trails. Much of the forest is primitive and has 10 designated wilderness areas.

FACILITIES
  • fire ring
  • vault toilets
  • picnic tables
***Note***: There are no RV hookups and no water

GPS LOCATION COORDINATES AND ELEVATION:
  • Latitude:
    34° 48' 49.3200" N
  • Longitude:
    119° 6' 7.9200" W
  • Elevation : 7800
DIRECTIONS:
Take I-5 North to Frazier Mountain Park Road exit. Go west on Frazier Mountain Park Road for 7 miles to Cuddy Valley Road. Bear right at Cuddy Valley Road. Continue 5 miles to the Y in the road and veer left for about 7 more miles to Mt. Pinos Campground entrance on the left side of the road. More detailed directions are available here: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=4243

AMATEUR RADIO TESTING
Click the following link for information on the Amateur Radio testing: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=4238

FEES:
The fee is per vehicle (trailers count as vehicles) for the entire three days and will reserve you a spot in the camp for both nights. We encourage campers to "tent camp" , but the site can accommodate small trailers. Due to the very limited space in the campsite, large RVs cannot be accommodated.
  • $75.00 -in advance for any vehicle (trailers count as a vehicle)
  • $80.00 -for a “drop-in” (Showing up without notice.)
HOW TO MAKE PAYMENT:
Payments will be taken via the “Donate” button at the bottom of any page on the OAUSA website. For other payment arrangements or questions, PM DaveK. Fees are refundable up to 14 days prior to the event with no penalties.

RADIO CALL-IN INFORMATION
For each of the three days of this event we will be monitoring the Frazier Mountain Repeater.
  • Frazier Mountain Repeater
    Frequency and offset: 447.860-
    PL: 141.3
On your way in, if you need help finding the campsite or need any other information, use this repeater.

ROSTER

PLEASE NOTE;
  • If you wish to attend, please post your information as follows:
    Name and the number of people in your party
    Vehicle Type
    Dates Attending
    Accommodations (i.e. Group Camping, Hotel, Day-Trip, other, etc.)
  • Once payment has been received, “CONFIRMED” will be posted next to your name, as below.
ROSTER:

1. DaveK K6DTK- Confirmed
Hummer
All three days
Group Camp

2. cruiserlarry W6LPB - Confirmed
Toyota FJ
All three days
Group Camp

3. TomS -KI6FHA - Confirmed
Toyota 80
All three days
Group Camp

4. Jack M. KK6WXQ - Confirmed
Jeep & Tent
All three days
Group Camp

5. Kevin KK6DGL Confirmed
Jeep
All three days
Group Camp

6. Jeepergeo - Confirmed
Ford 150
all three days
group camp

7. Notamog - Confirmed
Pinz (we hope)
all three days
group camp

8. Hector - Confirmed
Toyota FJ
all three days
group camp

9. Paul - Confirmed
Toyota Sequoia
all three days
group camp
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KAP
Call Sign: KK6DGL

Re: 2019 Field Day / Summer Fest Sign-up, General Info & Planning

Post by KAP » Wed May 08, 2019 12:36 am

A message to all would be Field Day Participants and Attendees.

I have volunteered to coordinate this years event. If you have any questions, concerns, or would like more information on what to expect. Please feel free to contact me via email.

Kevin KK6DGL
kk6dgl@gmail.com

A few thoughts to help you prepare for this action packed weekend.

This will be my 4th year as a participant. I can assure you that if you are looking for a unique venue to participate in Field Day or would like to learn more about Ham radio, off road vehicles and Overlanding, camping, outdoor cooking, wine, or how many accessories you can fit on a Toyota FJ, this is the event for you.

Many of our meals are prepared as, and for a group. If you would like to participate, I will post a sign up sheet. We usually team up for individual meals. You are certainly free to eat on your own if you prefer. We pretty much eat anything. This is a great opportunity to figure out what works and what doesn’t during meal prep and some of the best meals you will eat come from concoctions developed during our events.

I would like to suggest that all participants bring a comfortable upright chair. You may find yourself in a variety of campsites during the weekend and an inexpensive folder is very handy to have.

As Dave mentioned, There Is No Water at this campground. Sufficient water as well as other supplies should be brought with you.

There are full services including hotels, grocery and gas located just off the freeway in Frazier Park, just before you make the short drive to the campground.

We look forward to seeing you there.
More to follow.

Kevin KK6DGL

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Thu May 09, 2019 8:11 pm

Bruce (1?)
Pinzgauer 710M (If I can replace the brake master cylinder between now and the event)
All 3 days (planning to arrive on Thursday to snag an extra site)
Group Camping
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo » Thu May 09, 2019 8:16 pm

Please sign me up.

Jeepergo +1 - W#####
Ford F-150
All three days
Group Camp - Tent

KAP

Post by KAP » Thu May 09, 2019 11:44 pm

Notamog :)
Jack and I are planning to arrive early on Thursday. I may bring a special meal. Please keep us informed so we can include you.
Kevin
KK6DGL

KAP

Post by KAP » Thu May 09, 2019 11:46 pm

Jeepergeo
Glad you can make it. We will see you Friday.
Kevin
KK6DGL

Hmfigueroa
Call Sign: Ke6vrl

Post by Hmfigueroa » Thu May 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Hector

Looking to arrive Thursday evening, if not then Friday morning. Group camp tent

Hmfigueroa just me
Tent camping
Fj Cruiser

KAP

Post by KAP » Sun May 19, 2019 6:28 am

Welcome Hector

I am looking forward to some Elmering this year. Hope to see you on Thursday if you can make.

I am going to purchase an SGC 239 so I can spend less time messing with my antennas. Looking forward to many more contacts this.

Kevin
KK6DGL

KK6DYO
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Post by KK6DYO » Sun May 19, 2019 9:46 am

Paul KK6DYO
Toyota Sequoia
Coming in Friday afternoon to night
Group Camp

leifbennett
Call Sign: KM6ZBZ

Post by leifbennett » Sun May 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Leif Bennett KM6ZBZ, with my wife Maria and 0-3 teenage to adult children (2-5 people).
Jeep JK
Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Group Camping

Return to “2019 SUMMER FEST & FIELD DAY - JUNE 21-23, 2019 - LOS PADRES NATIONAL FOREST”