GPS/Navigation Hardware Replacement

Navigation tools including maps, compass, GPS, computers, software, and other forms of navigation.
Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

GPS/Navigation Hardware Replacement

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Since my original iPad's hardware does not support the current software and can't be upgraded I've been looking at replacements. I've been looking at the Magellan TRX7's, reviews are good, they have a host of preloaded trails and an online database where users can upload tracks.

I know Larry (Dirty Parts) sells these but I'm wondering if anyone has actual trail experience using it and can provide some feedback.

Here are a couple of pictures and some marketing lit.

TRX7_img_01.png
TRX7_img_01.png (207.05 KiB) Viewed 98 times
TRX7_img_02.png
TRX7_img_02.png (129.5 KiB) Viewed 98 times
TRX7_img_03.png
TRX7_img_03.png (80.24 KiB) Viewed 98 times

The Magellan TRX7 Series features a 7" HD touchscreen protected by a ruggedized IP67 casing. Three different mounting systems are available to fit any 4x4, UTV/SxS or ATV vehicle. Designed for the off-road enthusiast, all include an intuitive interface, preloaded trails, hi-res 3D basemap view, and a database of crowd-sourced tracks.

Preloaded with over 100,000 designated OHV trails from forest and public lands; with more being added.

A hi-res (to 10M) 3D terrain view and 2D topo view with contour lines show land features in the USA.

Phil
Phil T.
W6PET

“None of Nature’s landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild."

John Muir

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: GPS/Navigation Hardware Replacement

Post by DaveK » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:22 pm

Phil

I'm sorry that I am not aware of anyone with any experience with this unit. Since you didn't ask for any other recommendations, I will refrain from makin any, but I will mention that, up to a certain point, the best advice I can offer is. - the bigger the screen the better. Between driving chores, aging eyes, screen clutter, radio chatter, and more, those small screens are very difficult to read. Food for thought.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks Dave!

I agree with size. My eyes are not like they use to be. My ophthalmologist tells me the good new is, there is nothing wrong with my eyes, the bad news is my eyes are getting older (not me just the eyes).

After more research, I've decided to replace my iPad with a newer version. There are just so many more apps and options available with the iPad, it's not limited to navigation alone as the TRX7 is.
Phil T.
W6PET

“None of Nature’s landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild."

John Muir

KK6GFF
Call Sign: KK6GFF

Post by KK6GFF » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:07 pm

The only problem I've found with iPads is that when they get hot they shut down. Mine's shut down several times on me.

I agree there's a lot of great software already there for the iPad, and most of it is developing and evolving on a daily basis, but the temperature thing is the only thing that bugs me about the ipad...
Roger KK6GFF
2014 JKUR

Return to “NAVIGATION”