Uses for onboard computers.

Navigation tools including maps, compass, GPS, computers, software, and other forms of navigation.
Ki6ker
Call Sign: ki6ker

Re: Uses for onboard computers.

Post by Ki6ker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:02 am

I guess I my be in the dark ages, I do not use my laptop for navigation, leave that up to the Magellian unit. My laptop is geared towrd photograhy, writing, and doing website developement.
I think that about covers the laptop, the home puter, now that thing does everything and it carries programs that I would not clutter the laptop with. As far as the laptop goes I like to keep it lean and mean.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:00 pm

An idea for the good samaritans among us (especially those with large hard drives):

Why not upload service manuals for some other popular vehicles, in addition to your own, in case you (or someone with you) needs assistance on the trail ??

Most computers have lots of unused space on their hard drives, and it doesn't take up any additional space or add any weight. For example, if you have a Toyota FJ, maybe have Landcruiser, Tacoma, Jeep Wrangler yj, tj, cherokee, hummer h2, h3, etc. - of course, subject to space and the expense of the service manuals (I was thinking manuals that are available on-line, or uploading those within your group if no other pc's are on the trail...)

Could save yourself time on the trail if that rig in front of you gets going sooner...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

traveltoad
Call Sign: KI6BCA

Post by traveltoad » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:06 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:An idea for the good samaritans among us (especially those with large hard drives):

Why not upload service manuals for some other popular vehicles, in addition to your own, in case you (or someone with you) needs assistance on the trail ??

Most computers have lots of unused space on their hard drives, and it doesn't take up any additional space or add any weight. For example, if you have a Toyota FJ, maybe have Landcruiser, Tacoma, Jeep Wrangler yj, tj, cherokee, hummer h2, h3, etc. - of course, subject to space and the expense of the service manuals (I was thinking manuals that are available on-line, or uploading those within your group if no other pc's are on the trail...)

Could save yourself time on the trail if that rig in front of you gets going sooner...

Give me your address Larry.... I will send you the Land Rover RAVE CD tomorrow. lol
2003 LR Discovery
2007 KTM 950R - gone, not forgotten
2010 KTM 250XCW
2018 Surly Karate Monkey
2016 Foundry Overland

Matchmaker of Homes and People
http://www.aaronshrier.com

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:14 pm

traveltoad wrote:Give me your address Larry.... I will send you the Land Rover RAVE CD tomorrow. lol
I'm impressed - they were able to get all the rover service info on just one CD ??? :o

(...just kidding - no harm intended... :lol: :mrgreen: )
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

traveltoad
Call Sign: KI6BCA

Post by traveltoad » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:57 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
traveltoad wrote:Give me your address Larry.... I will send you the Land Rover RAVE CD tomorrow. lol
I'm impressed - they were able to get all the rover service info on just one CD ??? :o

(...just kidding - no harm intended... :lol: :mrgreen: )
Corerction: Give me your address Larry... I will send you the Land Rover RAVE CD library tomorrow. lol
2003 LR Discovery
2007 KTM 950R - gone, not forgotten
2010 KTM 250XCW
2018 Surly Karate Monkey
2016 Foundry Overland

Matchmaker of Homes and People
http://www.aaronshrier.com

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:41 pm

Larry,
Where can I find the 96 Land Cruiser service manual to load to the laptop?
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Tom,

Supposedly you can download as many manuals as you can in a 24 hour period for $10:

techinfo.toyota.com

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm

toms wrote:Larry,
Where can I find the 96 Land Cruiser service manual to load to the laptop?
I had a hard copy of the complete service manual and electrical/vacuum troubleshooting guide, but they were passed on to the new owner... there were no disc copies available at that time, but maybe they are available now online...

W6LPB / WPOK492

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Which one of you guys can transform my paper manual to a cd. There is a crisp dollar bill for the first one to get me the completed cd(s)
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:04 pm

DaveK wrote:Which one of you guys can transform my paper manual to a cd. There is a crisp dollar bill for the first one to get me the completed cd(s)
Is that crisp dollar bill to be used for the bus to get to your ATM ???? :D :mrgreen:

W6LPB / WPOK492

Return to “NAVIGATION”