Garmin 24k Topo Maps

Navigation tools including maps, compass, GPS, computers, software, and other forms of navigation.
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Garmin 24k Topo Maps

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:31 pm

I have a Delorme PN-40, and the yearly map subscription. I can use the same subscription to load maps onto my laptop, so it's a great deal - especially since you keep what you've downloaded. with Sat views, USGS, and aerial views in color and B/W, ther are plenty of maps to choose from....just bring a lot of batteries for the PN-40... :o
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

jgorm

Post by jgorm » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:05 am

cruiserlarry wrote:just bring a lot of batteries for the PN-40... :o
yeah! I use lithium ion batteries for that now. It will get me about 10hrs of use. duracell ultras get me about 4-6 hrs.

CactusJK
Call Sign: K7JNZ

Post by CactusJK » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:46 pm

Okay - now I am researching PN 40s and 60s. Based on the response I take it some like these over the Garmin?
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:59 am

CactusJK wrote:Okay - now I am researching PN 40s and 60s. Based on the response I take it some like these over the Garmin?
I am personally a Garmin fan but I have to admit that mapping rights can be a pain. I like the Delormes as handhelds but IMO they are too samll for using in your rig. If you want a good easy to use handheld then I agree that the PN-40 and PN-60 are nice units. If you have the cash then I suggest something with a larger screen for your vehicle.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

CactusJK
Call Sign: K7JNZ

Post by CactusJK » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:33 am

I am also a long time Garmin fan and use Macs. At this point it is nice to stick with the hardware I am used to.

OLLIE wrote:
CactusJK wrote:Okay - now I am researching PN 40s and 60s. Based on the response I take it some like these over the Garmin?
I am personally a Garmin fan but I have to admit that mapping rights can be a pain. I like the Delormes as handhelds but IMO they are too samll for using in your rig. If you want a good easy to use handheld then I agree that the PN-40 and PN-60 are nice units. If you have the cash then I suggest something with a larger screen for your vehicle.
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

jgorm

Post by jgorm » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:19 am

I like the delormes, but their software sucks. I use a nuvi for road navigation and the pn40 for trail stuff. Normally i don't ever need it, but i leave it on when i'm on the way out so i can find my way back if i get mixed up. The screen is pretty small too.

smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

Post by smslavin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:48 pm

jgorm wrote:I like the delormes, but their software sucks.
that's my only gripe with them. i have nothing but macs in the house so i've got to use a windows virtual machine in order to do anything with it. not a big deal, just an extra step, but they've been touting mac compatible software for over a year.

sometime, in the not too distant future, i'd like to have a lowrance baja unit in the truck.
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

BigDave
Call Sign: KI6LYZ

Post by BigDave » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:29 pm

smslavin wrote: sometime, in the not too distant future, i'd like to have a lowrance baja unit in the truck.
This my goal!!!

I have an old Garmin unit for now. Still works great and can't justify replacing it yet.

Though I am looking at the new PN-60 with the SPOT unit integration to replace my 1st generation SPOT unit, but again I think the screen is too small for my aging eyes, whereas the Lowrance Baja unit has a 5" screen, dust, water and jiggle proof.
Get both right? It's only money...
Dave

KI6LYZ

"Shootin' trucks and snortin' dust"

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 pm

BigDave wrote:
smslavin wrote: sometime, in the not too distant future, i'd like to have a lowrance baja unit in the truck.
This my goal!!!

I have an old Garmin unit for now. Still works great and can't justify replacing it yet.

Though I am looking at the new PN-60 with the SPOT unit integration to replace my 1st generation SPOT unit, but again I think the screen is too small for my aging eyes, whereas the Lowrance Baja unit has a 5" screen, dust, water and jiggle proof.
Get both right? It's only money...
Absolutely!!! You can't take it with you. :lol:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:46 pm

BigDave wrote:I think the screen is too small for my aging eyes, whereas the Lowrance Baja unit has a 5" screen, ...It's only money...
Why limit yourself to a 5" screen ??? The Lowrance is available in a 12" model, too :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “NAVIGATION”