Broken GPS help

Navigation tools including maps, compass, GPS, computers, software, and other forms of navigation.
Willie H
Call Sign: KJ6HEJ

Broken GPS help

Post by Willie H » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:56 pm

My street GPS (Magellan Maestro 4250) screen is cracked. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement screen locally, or a reputable internet shop? I have lost bids on a few "parts only" units from e-bay, and frankly it's a crap shoot if those screens even work. So I'm pretty much tired of that route. I know it's an older GPS, but it works and I don't wana replace it yet.
Thanks
Willie
KJ6HEJ
"So...Is this a response to a failed government"
FJ

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Broken GPS help

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Willie H wrote:My street GPS (Magellan Maestro 4250) screen is cracked. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement screen locally, or a reputable internet shop? I have lost bids on a few "parts only" units from e-bay, and frankly it's a crap shoot if those screens even work. So I'm pretty much tired of that route. I know it's an older GPS, but it works and I don't wana replace it yet.
Thanks
Willie
Considering that these units are available for under $100 (Refurb for $69.95), it doesn't make much sense, IMHO, to spend time trying to repair the one you have. I'd consider this an upgrade opportunity... :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Willie H

Post by Willie H » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:47 pm

I have seen how cheap the refurbs are, but I was hoping to score a screen cheaper and just fix this one since it has a bunch of addresses and stuff already in it. As far as an upgrade... I dont want to spend any more on another GPS that is only for driving around town, family roadtrips, and is moved from truck to truck.
KJ6HEJ
FJ

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Willie H wrote:I have seen how cheap the refurbs are, but I was hoping to score a screen cheaper and just fix this one since it has a bunch of addresses and stuff already in it.

I understand about trying to avoid losing the info in the GPS. I guess the rest is weighing the value of your time and energy: finding a screen that works, getting it cheap, and repairing the GPS, vs. spending $70 and having access to the GPS quickly... ;) I didn't realize you could buy the screen for the small units separately - how much do they run when you can find one ?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Willie H

Post by Willie H » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:58 pm

I found them a while back for under 50 bucks... Just talked to a guy here at work that is willing to trade a WORKING Garmin Nuvi for my busted Magellan! :o So... problem solved. The repair money can go into the laptop system. WIN WIN for me!
KJ6HEJ
FJ

Return to “NAVIGATION”