Delorme PN-60W

Navigation tools including maps, compass, GPS, computers, software, and other forms of navigation.
CactusJK
Call Sign: K7JNZ

Delorme PN-60W

Post by CactusJK » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:56 am

I am considering this unit to replace my Spot and for a good handheld GPS. I know the screen is small but some of the Delorme features such as aerial look good. Any real word feedback is welcome.
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

CactusJK

Re: Delorme PN-60W

Post by CactusJK » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:48 am

Maybe just some good advice on Delorme topo 9 and their GPS functionality.
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Jeff:

Looks like everybody is out for the holidays.

I think that many (most) of our members are using either NG Topo! or Overland Navigator, both of which rely on USGS Topographic maps developed by the US Government over the last 100+ years.

From what I have learned of the Delorme maps, they too rely on USGS Topo maps and make them available for an extra charge. One of the differences that you may find between Delorme and the other two, are an emphasis on street mapping. While the USGS topo maps are the best terrain map available, their street information will not match the capabilities of a program which is more street oriented, which Delorme appears to be.

I know we have some Delorme users who can get you more information. Good luck.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

CactusJK

Post by CactusJK » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks! I am mainly using the Spot txt capability but it looks great for outside the truck using overhead imagery, etc.
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

BigDave
Call Sign: KI6LYZ

Post by BigDave » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:46 pm

If you decide to get one, please post up a review. I am really thinking hard about getting one also for the same purpose with as much time as I spend in the outback.
Dave

KI6LYZ

"Shootin' trucks and snortin' dust"

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:31 pm

CactusJK wrote:Thanks! I am mainly using the Spot txt capability but it looks great for outside the truck using overhead imagery, etc.
Doesn't that require an internet connection?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

CactusJK

Post by CactusJK » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:29 pm

It does to download but then you can load into the unit.

DaveK wrote:
CactusJK wrote:Thanks! I am mainly using the Spot txt capability but it looks great for outside the truck using overhead imagery, etc.
Doesn't that require an internet connection?
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

Post by smslavin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:28 pm

I've got the PN-20 and 40. The girls use the 20 and I have the 40 in the truck for the time being until I can afford the Lowrance unit I want. I like both units. My oldest daughter, Dillen, figured out how to use the 20 without any instruction from me. I figure that's a pretty good litmus test. The software is pretty easy to use as well and functions really well with the USGS topos. When I bought the 40, I also picked up the subscription for the map download service. My only gripe is that the internal memory is small so the maps are stored on the SD card. Reading from the card slows things down noticeably but not so much that the unit is unusable. Battery life is excellent and the units are pretty bullet proof.

For me, I just wish there was Mac native software available. I currently have a Windows 7 Virtual Machine that I have to run in order to use the Delorme software. Not a big deal since I have several VMs running most of the time anyway.
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:05 pm

I have the PN-40, which I bought about 4 months ago because I already have the map subscription for Delorme Topo 4.5 software I use on my laptop, and thought it would be great for taking hikes.

The unit is very nice, but for me, I think the screen is too small for me, although the resolution is excellent (and it's color, too). I found the battery life way too short, but mine is using standard AA batteries instead of the available rechargeable pack, which might be better.

I didn't find the software to be very easy to use - in fact I found it a bit confusing when loading maps from my library. As Sean said, you'll need a big SD card to store a lot of maps, and that slows it down a bit. The selection of maps that is available for the DeLorme GPS units is amazing - and a yearly subscription for as many as you want (which are yours to keep) is $30. Aerial, Topo, USGS, Etc...there's no shortage of maps.

Overall, it's an excellent unit - for younger eyes :lol:

(Because of the screen size, I've used mine for less than 10 hours total - so I'll be selling mine to get something with a larger screen for my aging eyes...If anyone's interested, pm me...)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

CactusJK

Post by CactusJK » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:17 am

Now with Spot connect maybe an iPhone is the best solution?
[size=150]K7JNZ[/size]

Return to “NAVIGATION”