On Board GPS - new to forum

Navigation tools including maps, compass, GPS, computers, software, and other forms of navigation.
badfysh

On Board GPS - new to forum

Post by badfysh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Hello,

My name is Joe. I am new to this forum but I was recommended by Chazz after we discussed some shared interests for our vehicles. Anyway, thanks Chazz and hello to you all.

I have a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. It has most of the aftermarket stuff needed to get from point A to B. Lockers, axles, drive shafts, etc. Anyway, what it doesn't have is a the proper setup for overlanding. That being said, I am planning a two week trip and one of the additions I would liek to make is install whatever hardware is necessary for on board GPS and computing.

This is a new area for me so I am ignorant to the possibilities so I appreciate your patience and guidance. To date I have used handheld units only. Garmin Nuvi 750 and Garmin 60CS. But those are difficult to use and WAY too small.

Heres what I am looking for:

1. "always on" GPS receiver that isn't costing me money - like the handhelds.
2. what are my options for displays, storage, etc. Do I need a tablet? Do i get a net book and computer mount? Can this be connected to external storage located elsewhere to house my music library etc.
3. What software and operating system will i need to incorporate to load maps at this time for western US and Baja only.

I am happy to consider other options i may not know of. Here's the bottom line.... I am looking for a GPS / PC ssytem that me or my navigator can use easily with large display and can load maps and also serve as a music player.

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue. I wish I could make the borrego event to discuss in person but my truck is going under the knife next weekend and not sure it will be done by then.
Attachments
DSC00060.JPG
DSC00060.JPG (2.34 MiB) Viewed 2337 times

badfysh

Re: On Board GPS - new to forum

Post by badfysh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:49 pm

I read through some of the "Off Road Notebook Computer" thread and this is what I got out of it so far....

I can buy the following items for GPS:

1. GPSr
2. Tablet
3. Oziexplorer
4. various locations have mexico topos

and for PC (music library through radio) I just need to figure out if all this (tablet) can be connected to my music library and to the car at the same time.

Is it really this simple?

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:10 am

You are really asking many questions at once.

First, if you want to get a laptop to operate mapping software and interface with a GPS, you'll need to decide on a budget, a platform (Mac or Windows), whether you want something to use outside of the vehicle (speed and storage capacity), and what type of interface you need for your music (although iTunes on any laptop can be hooked to an aux input on your car stereo and you're done).

There are many great topo programs - Overland Navigator, Delorme Topo, National Geographic Topo, etc - you're best bet is to check out these programs with someone who has them loaded (a trip to BorregoFest would do it :lol: ) - and then you will have a better idea of the features you prefer.

Regarding the GPS, you can add a GPS receiver to almost any laptop to interface with the software, but you'll have to have the laptop in the vehicle to use it. A stand alone unit, like a Garmin or Magellan, would allow you to have GPS info anytime, but the screens are small, and the topo info you can use with them is very limited. Just for the record, all GPS signals are free - there is no charge regardless of the device. It is software to work with it on the laptop you'll need to purchase.

I run a Panasonic Toughbook laptop that has a built-in GPS, and all of the above mentioned programs. I also have a Lowrance Baja GPS for stand alone use, and for back up to the laptop. I also run APRS software that interfaces with my ham radio, to allow me to message others on the trail, and track their locations.

I think you really need to see some of the stuff in action before you can really make an informed decision, but I'm sure others will chime in here to help - and we have many well-equipped rigs driven by some knowledgeable folks on this site ;)

Good luck... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:52 am

Joe:

Welcome to OAUSA.

I'm pleased that you were able to make it through the "Offroad Notebook Computer" thread and get some direction for your project. If any one thing stands out from the numerous posts there, it is that there are many ways to get your self set up for off road travel.

Most choices boil down to a matter of personal preference, cost and available space. That's why Larry's suggestion (to visit Borrego Fest)is a great way for you to get an idea of what options are available and what they will cost.

Good luck!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

badfysh

Post by badfysh » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:02 pm

I totally understand, I just don't think I can make the event due to current condition of truck. Only other option would be to drive my grocery getter. I'll have to see what other options I have to make it down there.

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:12 pm

badfysh wrote:I totally understand, I just don't think I can make the event due to current condition of truck. Only other option would be to drive my grocery getter. I'll have to see what other options I have to make it down there.
Grocery getter is fine, I am sure there there is someone on trail runs with an extra seat if you want to ride along, or hanging out at camp is always a good time. Hope to see you down there
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Return to “NAVIGATION”