Delorme inReach

Navigation tools including maps, compass, GPS, computers, software, and other forms of navigation.
NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Delorme inReach

Post by NotAMog » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:58 pm

I used my REI dividend this year to get a Delorme inReach unit. I've updated the firmware and connected it to both my iPhone and iPad. I tested the satellite message and tracking features and they seem to be working OK. I think there may be a problem with the GPS function. When I bring up the map display in the Earthmate application the best GPS accuracy it displays is +-224'. It looses the GPS when ever I try using it in a moving vehicle. From what I've read on the Internet it should provide a continuous GPS position in the Earthmate application and MotionX. Once I stop for a period of time it will reacquire the GPS signal but still with poor accuracy.

Has anyone had any different experience with the Delorme inReach?
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Delorme inReach

Post by DaveK » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Bruce:

You are the first person I know that has one. I was hoping to get a good product review after you tested it. In theory, it seemed to have such great promise. Please post updates.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

NotAMog
Global Moderator

Post by NotAMog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:28 pm

I hope that I just got a bad unit. The inReach looked like the best choice for me after doing the research for the satellite communications net I did last year. I'm planning a couple of motorcycle trips later this year where I'll be away from cellular coverage much of the itme. Having the inReach provides piece of mind knowing that I'll have communications should I happen to break down in some remote location.

It also provides private tracking information so friends and family can check on your location and trip progress regardless of cellular coverage.

A third benefit is that it is supposed to provide GPS functionality on non-GPS equipped IOS devices. The Earthmate application for IOS that works with the inReach allows you do download very detailed map sections from the Delorme web site. This looks like a great alternative while we wait for Overland Navigator be become available for IOS. Unfortunately, this is the function that is not working properly with the GPS data from the inReach unit.

I sent off a couple of E-mail to Delorme tech support today. I'll keep you posted on their response.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)

NotAMog
Global Moderator

Post by NotAMog » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Well, good news :D . After talking with Delorme tech support and doing more on-line research I was able to determine that the inReach unit is functioning OK. The problem I was experiencing is due to a bug in the Delorme Earthmate application or IOS depending on who you talk to. There is a memory usage issue that manifests itself as poor GPS data performance (weird!) :? .

Based in information from one of the support blogs, I closed all apps running in the background and then did a full power off of my iPad. After powering it back on and checking the "Privacy" settings to make sure "Location Services" were turned on for the Earthmate app everything worked OK. From the information on the support blogs apparently this problem can develop at any time after running for awhile. Fortunately it is easy to fix but its a nuisance that should be fixed by Delorme or Apple :x . This problem does not affect the accuracy of the GPS coordinates sent by the inReach unit in text or SOS messages, tracks, or waypoints.

One particularly cool feature is that the inReach will supply GPS information for other GPS enabled apps on WiFi only IOS devices without builtin GPS hardware. I tried Gaia, MotionX, InstaMapper GPS Tracker, and iHUD. They all worked as expected. Of course, you need an Internet connection for apps that can't download and cache map data. Thanks to Hector's suggestion a PepWAVE wireless router with a USB cellular modem takes care of that for the iPad and any other WiFi device. InstaMapper would be redundant since the inReach unit provides tracking information to a private web site if you want that functionality and subscribe to the tracking service.

One other minor annoyance :x is that if you switch the IOS device into "Airplane Mode" it turns off location services for some apps and they don't automatically turn back on when you turn "Airplane Mode" off.

A related useful feature is that you can enable "Airplace Mode" which turns off the cellular, WiFi, bluetooth, and GPS radios (if equipped). This saves a considerable amount of power especially if you are away from cellular service. If you enable bluetooth manually when in "Airplane Mode" you can receive the bluetooth GPS information from the inReach using minimal power on the IOS device. There is some information on the blogs that this may not work for all combinations for IOS version and apps but it is useful where it does work.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i

Return to “NAVIGATION”