Off Road Notebook Computer

Navigation tools including maps, compass, GPS, computers, software, and other forms of navigation.
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Off Road Notebook Computer

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:59 am

Why did you upgrade to v4 ? Was there much improvement in the actual software ?
While the RT systems software usually works OK, I've never found it to be particularly "advanced"...

Fortunately, I don't have an FT 8800 R, so it's moot for me... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Larry:

Actually, I didn't upgrade. I just happened to come across this new product and since most laptops these days do not have serial ports and since the USB to serial adapter has had problems, I thought it might be helpful to most users.

As you know with your Toughbook, serial connections are not a problem and the previous version works well when this type of port is available. I have found the RT systems program to be very useful, both for Yaesu and Icom radios. It has allowed me to backup the many repeaters and frequencies I have in both radios and made it much simpler to manage or add/subtract information, especially when we travel to new areas and add different repeaters. Additionally, I have been able to transfer the repeater and frequency information in my radios to others in the group. The data in any radio for which they make software, can be transferred to any other radio as long as they make software for that radio. As an example, I have been able to transfer data from my Yaesu to my Icom.

At the moment, I am merely "whelmed" (not over or under) by the new offering and I will wait to hear some reports. Who wants to be first?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:12 pm

DaveK wrote:Larry:

Actually, I didn't upgrade. I just happened to come across this new product and since most laptops these days do not have serial ports and since the USB to serial adapter has had problems, I thought it might be helpful to most users.

Additionally, I have been able to transfer the repeater and frequency information in my radios to others in the group. The data in any radio for which they make software, can be transferred to any other radio as long as they make software for that radio. As an example, I have been able to transfer data from my Yaesu to my Icom.
I understand the advantages to using software to set up a radio's programming; and I've used software to transfer programs between like radios. I didn't realize you can transfer the files between different radio brands (or even same brand / different models. Are the files just comma delineated data files ?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:43 pm

The program imports and exports in delimited text format. From their manual:
The Programmer can Import data from delimited text files. These files can be created using the Export feature of the Programmer for another radio, Travel Plus for Repeaters by ARRL, commercial spreadsheet programs, or text editors.
For my radios, it was a cut and paste operation between the Yeasu and the Icom.

DaveK
K6DTK

ralphie
Call Sign: KI6VTJ

Post by ralphie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:57 pm

well i got a net book for christmas that im going to use for a moving map system in my rig. I ordered the overland navigater
with so cal map, i hope it works on a net book. i might need some help on set up in my rig, i'll post if i need help. i was also thinking a can run APRS also i dont know how to do that but i will do some research.
JUST GO ADVENTUERING!!!
TLCA # 19122
KI6VTJ
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom
must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:10 pm

ralphie wrote:well i got a net book for christmas that im going to use for a moving map system in my rig. I ordered the overland navigater
with so cal map, i hope it works on a net book. i might need some help on set up in my rig, i'll post if i need help. i was also thinking a can run APRS also i dont know how to do that but i will do some research.

Ralphie:

Congratulations. Please keep us updated on your progress.
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:55 am

ralphie wrote:well i got a net book for Christmas that im going to use for a moving map system in my rig. I ordered the Overland Navigator
with so cal map, i hope it works on a net book. I might need some help on set up in my rig, I'll post if i need help. i was also thinking a can run APRS also I don't know how to do that but i will do some research.
While not required, Overland Navigator was designed to work best with a touchscreen laptop - so if your netbook does not have a touchscreen, it may be more difficult to use than other topo programs. Virtually any laptop can be used for APRS - it is the software you pick that will determine what you need, configuration-wise, along with the ability to connect a TNC to the netbook.

W6LPB / WPOK492

Willie H
Call Sign: KJ6HEJ

Post by Willie H » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm waiting for my Toughbook CF 28. Plan on using it like everyone else. It has the P3 1g processor, so I hope it will run Overland Navigator. I have to find a HD and a caddy for it though.
KJ6HEJ
"So...Is this a response to a failed government"
FJ

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Willie H wrote:I'm waiting for my Toughbook CF 28. Plan on using it like everyone else. It has the P3 1g processor, so I hope it will run Overland Navigator. I have to find a HD and a caddy for it though.
Willie:

I started with a Toughbook, (albeit a cf-27) and from my personal experience of hard use and running my mapping programs (Nat Geo Topo!), I was very satisfied. If there is any one thing I would recommend, it is that you buy as much memory as you can afford.

Keep us posted on your progress!
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:24 pm

Willie H wrote:I'm waiting for my Toughbook CF 28. Plan on using it like everyone else. It has the P3 1g processor, so I hope it will run Overland Navigator. I have to find a HD and a caddy for it though.
Concur with DaveK regarding ram - fill it up.

I used to run a CF-29, and now use a CF-30. The toughbooks are fantastic in bad environments, but also work very well at home or at work. There processing speeds are misleading...They seem "slow" on paper relative to other laptops, but because of their proprietary motherboard design and supporting chipset, they run much faster than the processor speed would have you believe.

A bigger concern is the harddrive. Most earlier CFs (27, 28, 29) came with relatiely small HDs - 10-40Gb. If you are planning on loading up a lot of maps and other visual data, you'll need space. The HD caddies can be very expensive ($150-225), so check out e-bay for used ones. Upgrading the HD in the caddy is straight-forward, but you have to be careful and consider the power draw of the drive - if it takes a lot of juice, it will kill the long battery life, as well as overheat the motherboard, which does not use a fan.

Check out this forum for an excellent source of info on all models of Toughbooks and their upgrades:

TOUGHBOOK INFO

W6LPB / WPOK492

Return to “NAVIGATION”