Map & Compass

Navigation tools including maps, compass, GPS, computers, software, and other forms of navigation.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: Map & Compass

Post by OLLIE » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:58 pm

Awsome info eubi. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Post by unwiredadventures » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:15 pm

eubi wrote:Well, when it comes to backcountry navigation, I'm a traditionalist. Map and compass!
On a camping trip with my kids. I introduced them to the compass and topographic map.

I think this is a good skill to learn. If you were in the outdoors for an extended period, you may run out of batteries for your GPS. I normally take topo maps with me even when I have more than one GPS.

'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:41 pm

unwiredadventures wrote:If you were in the outdoors for an extended period, you may run out of batteries for your GPS. I normally take topo maps with me even when I have more than one GPS.

Absolutely... Two GPS's, a compass, a TOPO map of the area, and one Bug-Out-Bag. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:35 am

Ollie (K6JYB) wrote:I normally take topo maps with me even when I have more than one GPS.and one Bug-Out-Bag. ;)

Ollie - Maybe you could post up a thread about the bug-out bag concept for those who might not know what it is, along with pics of what you carry in yours....

(I know I could use the help... :D )
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:37 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
Ollie (K6JYB) wrote:I normally take topo maps with me even when I have more than one GPS.and one Bug-Out-Bag. ;)

Ollie - Maybe you could post up a thread about the bug-out bag concept for those who might not know what it is, along with pics of what you carry in yours....

(I know I could use the help... :D )
I certainly can do that.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

Nadir_E
Call Sign: KI6YXP

Post by Nadir_E » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Nice info, eubi! I've used the stick in the ground one on a couple of occasions to show people how it's done. Can't say I've used the analog watch technique (but I do wear one! :) )

For those interested, orienteering is a really fun way to master the map & compass. Most major cities have clubs (LA & SD do, for example). They typically meet once a month and often offer some training. There's no better training that getting out on a course though - and they're usually small enough that you can't really get "lost" - you just may have trouble finding the control you're searching for :D. They typically rent compasses, so you really don't need to bring anything except the registration fee which covers the cost of the maps, etc. (typically $7-$9 or so).

I can attest to how well it sharpens your skills and would be happy to help others learn.

-Nadir
-Nadir - sounds like "ladder" KN6ELF

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Nadir_E wrote:Nice info, eubi! I've used the stick in the ground one on a couple of occasions to show people how it's done. Can't say I've used the analog watch technique (but I do wear one! :) )

For those interested, orienteering is a really fun way to master the map & compass. Most major cities have clubs (LA & SD do, for example). They typically meet once a month and often offer some training. There's no better training that getting out on a course though - and they're usually small enough that you can't really get "lost" - you just may have trouble finding the control you're searching for :D. They typically rent compasses, so you really don't need to bring anything except the registration fee which covers the cost of the maps, etc. (typically $7-$9 or so).

I can attest to how well it sharpens your skills and would be happy to help others learn.

-Nadir
Nadir -

Would you be interested in starting a thread about orienteering ? You could post some information on what it is, what you do, and where to participate in the clubs...I'm sure many here would be interested in more detailed information... ;)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “NAVIGATION”