LED Flashlight Upgrade

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
traveltoad
Call Sign: KI6BCA

Re: LED Flashlight Upgrade

Post by traveltoad » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:27 am

DaveK wrote:
traveltoad wrote:I am curious Dave... did you consider any of the Surefire lights?

Also, as one of my truck lights (like you I have many) I like the Pelican 7060:

It has a craddle/charger that can be wired into the truck.

Aaron:

I did research the Surefire lights. They make outstanding products and have a great reputation. For my purposes, I decided on a power source that was both economical and easy to find - AA batteries. I don't have the exact numbers, but from all indications, AA batteries are, by far, the most popular battery on earth. From everything that I was able to learn about the Surefire products (in the size range I was looking for), they all rely on the 123 batteries. For the price of a couple of 123s, I can walk out of Costco with a shopping cart full of AA batteries (well, not quite). Chances are also good that someone else in camp will have some AAs if I run out.

The other thing that I have been able to determine is that the AA batteries (especially the lithium ones) seem to last longer. The L2D is no slouch when it comes to lasting power - (with regular alkaline AAs - NOT lithium) 55 hours to 2.5 hours, depending on the power setting. It can also produce 135 lumens of light - enough to pinpoint most retinas. The light output is controlled by a chip, meaning that you will get the same amount of light power for the entire life of the battery. In other words, it won't get dimmer as the batteries drain.

One quick side note: The L2D comes with a belt holster, a lanyard, an extra switch cover and extra o-rings and is about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a Surefire.

The Pelican light that you have mounted is also a great product. For my belt light, I needed something that would not see a recharger as it is with me from the moment I leave on a trip to the moment I return. I have used Pelican lights and they are very well made and reliable. They are also in Torrance, about a block or two from my office, and I can get repair/replacements instantly as well as new products.
All true and all very good information.
2003 LR Discovery
2007 KTM 950R - gone, not forgotten
2010 KTM 250XCW
2018 Surly Karate Monkey
2016 Foundry Overland

Matchmaker of Homes and People
http://www.aaronshrier.com

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:16 pm

I converted my mini mag light with the 3watt 3LED upgrade. Wow what a difference! $12.00 at my local Ace Hardware!
Image_Image_Image

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:31 pm

gon2srf wrote:I converted my mini mag light with the 3watt 3LED upgrade. Wow what a difference! $12.00 at my local Ace Hardware!
Scott:

is the upgrade just the bulb or the bulb and reflector? The Maglight LED AA flashlight I recently purchased was a fair amount longer than the standard AA light to accommodate the new LED.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Sunnygrill

Post by Sunnygrill » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:06 am

cruiserlarry wrote:
DaveK wrote:I guess that you can also cook with it if the stove fails.
Yeah, maybe...but you can only cook "light" meals... :lol:
Larry, you could not even cook a light meal with 10 ACRO HID's and or 10 stoves in your possession. One of these days your going to starve on the trail. lol

Return to “EQUIPMENT”