SPoT Handheld Satellite Messenger

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: SPoT Handheld Satellite Messenger

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:59 pm

traveltoad wrote:
DaveK wrote:When you press the OK button, is there any type of confirmation that you have successfully sent the message or do you find out when you return from the trip?
Good question.

When you turn the SPOT on there is a green led that blinks every couple seconds. When you push the OK button a second green led blinks with the first. When the messege has been sent the second led stops blinking. The process can take 20min or so depending on the location of the satellite(s).

If the messege has not gone through does the second led just keep blinking until the messege is finally sent? Or does the SPOT give you some sort of error messege (like and led changing to red)? I do not know the answer to this. I will bring it to work and try to send a messeg from inside the building and see what happens.
If there is a time when a message doesn't get sent as requested, the second flashing LED starts flashing red. I have yet to have a time when it took longer than 5 minutes to send the OK message.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02 am

On another note, for those of you ever on a run with me, you can always PM me with a phone number and email for anyone you want to recieve messages. I justy add them to the list the night before Ieave so anytime I send out a message they will get a text and email message. Additionally, I can PM or emal you the link so your family or friends can track where we are on a Google map. It plots my position on the map every 10 minutes.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

E-train

Post by E-train » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:28 am

Interesting...the writing is better in this Spot Messenger thread. Just kidding. Late-night sarcasm after reading the third Spot thread on here. Does someone work for them? They're getting good pub. here.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:10 am

E-train wrote:Interesting...the writing is better in this Spot Messenger thread. Just kidding. Late-night sarcasm after reading the third Spot thread on here. Does someone work for them? They're getting good pub. here.
Just a very good product, IMO, that is more than worth the price. I will bring it up any time I get a chance.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

Return to “EQUIPMENT”