Any suggestions for a $50-100 LED flashlight?

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
MudFace

Any suggestions for a $50-100 LED flashlight?

Post by MudFace » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 pm

I tried doing HW but the language is too foreign. I went on youtube, candlepower forums, etc...

Can someone suggest one for camping and car emergency use? I might default to a Maglite LED...

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Re: Any suggestions for a $50-100 LED flashlight?

Post by salad_man » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 pm

I use a mag light led and it has worked great for me so far. Great battery time also.
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Yes. See http://oausa.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1020.

I've field tested it for about a year and it gets 5 out of 5 stars.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:09 pm

I will *2 the Fenix suggestion - best possible flash for the buck.

www.fenix-store.com has good pricing on them.
Chazz Laynedotcom

ssc

Post by ssc » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:45 am

Mud,
Great question, not always an easy answer. I have begun a write up for one of my hunting forums on this subject. In my opinion, one light is never enough. I like redundancy. I generally have at least three flashlights with me at all times. If we assume you want to get one light then my suggestion is the surefire 2 stage LED outdoorsman. In my travels, especially to Africa, the most important item to have available is a Flashlight. No matter how early we left or when we were supposed to return, I always had my light with me and usually I had to use it. Why, because we got back later than anticipated and someone always needed to look into a dark compartment--backpack, camera, glovebox etc.

It is true, that I have a big maglight in one of my trucks-converted to LED, but it has been there since 03 and I would not use it or place one in a vehicle again. Too big and not bright enough for the size. It just is not as efficient as smaller lights. Hence, the smaller lights have alot of light, less bulk and easy to carry, which means you will have it when you need it. The lithium batteries are not much more expensive and in my experience last a long time. In my SF which I used daily in Africa and has been used quite often for the past year, I am still on the first set of batteries, though I took spares with me.

Next reason for the light. It is a 2 stage. 80% of the time I use stage one which is 5 lumens and the battery life is like 100 hours. The other 20% I use stage 2 which is 60 lumens and the batt life is 40 hours. What I have found is that a light which is too bright is a detriment in many cases. It destroys night vision, bounces off walls and can be blinding. This is the lesson I learned the hard way. Turn on a 120 lumen light in your tent and you are blind, it reflects and bounces and draws bugs like crazy. The second stage has been plenty bright in all other cases.

Yes I still have many lights with me, but this is my go to light for the reasons stated.

Regards, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:24 am

Another plus for the Surefire is the availability of inexpensive filters, including the night-vision-friendly red (I have one on all of mine), which also double as cheap lens protection.
Chazz Laynedotcom

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:33 am

Just remembered that Aaron (traveltoad) did a net on flashlights. Another good place to start. http://www.oausa.net/on-air-nets/48-on- ... ght-fetish
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

MudFace

Post by MudFace » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 am

ssc wrote:Mud,
If we assume you want to get one light then my suggestion is the surefire 2 stage LED outdoorsman.
Regards, Steve

Thx Steve. I was about to pull the trigger on a Maglite today. Do you have a Surefire model # to recommend me? As I grow deeper into this hobby I plan to get more lights. This first one I want to keep the cost to 50-100. Nothing Fancy. I have a trip next weekend so gotta get it soon.

MudFace

Post by MudFace » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:36 am

E2L Outdoorsman?

ssc

Post by ssc » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:50 am

http://www.surefire.com/E2L-Outdoorsman
A bit more than $100, but worth every penny.

A back up light that I have in every nook and cranny, that works, is not expensive, has great battery life, is light, Led,almost disposible, is the princton tec atitude and impact 2. $20

Another light that hit the radar a year or so ago and then hit the light forums was a real surprise. It was a light carried by Lowes, if I remember. I think it was the task force or work force led. It works off 2 c batteries. They had bought and used high grade LED's. LEDs are graded and sorted, so some are better than others.It has a great beam, good distance and was very bright-too bright for close in work, but it was cheap-maybe 35 bucks. Lowes had a few similar models, but you had to get the right one. I have one and it is impressive. It came with a pouch and is zip tied to my e-brake handle in the FJ-for looking at signs or other items further out. I will see if I can find some info and attach a link. The fj is in Havasu, so I can't run out and look at the light.

Regards, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

Return to “EQUIPMENT”