Need tire recommendations

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
sdnative

Need tire recommendations

Post by sdnative » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:53 pm

I am thinking about ditching my BFG ATs in favor of something more aggressive. I originally traded my BFG MT for the AT with the goals of less road noise (accomplished), better MPG (no change really) and a better ride (actually worse now). Someone is interested in buying my ATs, so I figured I could use the opportunity to get into something else.

I had the BFG MT 255/85R16 which I really liked, except I was worried the sidewall would fold under the rim and come off the bead on steep of-camber spots. In addition, they were getting pretty chewed up due to them being so narrow and my truck being so heavy.

I traded these for the BFG AT 295/75R16 (same diameter as the MT) which to be honest I can't stand. They take a ton of weight to balance (and never stay balanced for too long), ride really rough when cold and do not grip as well as I had hoped (I felt uncomfortable on a couple of hill climbs that never were a problem before).

I am considering going with a 285/75R16 or possibly back to the 255/85R16. So far I am looking at the BFG MT KM2, Toyo MT, or Goodyear MTR, but would consider others. My usage would be 90% road /10% off road, with the off road use use mainly soft and hard packed dirt, with a little rock use. I don't mind sacrificing road manners slightly if I know the off road ability will be there when I need it.

Oh, and they have to stop a stray bullet from the negligent unintelligent common folk gun owner :lol:

Anyone have any opinions? I figured no one here would, but I thought I'd give it a try. :geek:

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Need tire recommendations

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 pm

I'd suggest considering the ProComp Xtreme Mud-Terrain 285/75R16 - Excellent tire, three ply sidewalls, great tread design, and relatively quiet on the road, especially compared to BFG MTs of the past...

The new BFG M/T KM2 has an excellent tread design as well, although we haven't heard much feedback about their off-road prowess or on-road noise level...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm leaning toward the BFG MT KM2. I've heard plenty of good things about them. In fact, that's probably what I'll go with when its time to change out my Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. Road noise doesn't bother me much since I'm running in a soft top Jeep anyway. Larry has a good suggestion with the ProComps as well.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:46 pm

I have also heard good things from the new bfg muds. A friends dad has them and he really likes them, good on rocks as well.
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Post by unwiredadventures » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 pm

sdnative wrote:I am considering going with a 285/75R16 or possibly back to the 255/85R16. So far I am looking at the BFG MT KM2, Toyo MT, or Goodyear MTR, but would consider others. My usage would be 90% road /10% off road, with the off road use use mainly soft and hard packed dirt, with a little rock use. I don't mind sacrificing road manners slightly if I know the off road ability will be there when I need it.
I like my Toyo MTs. They just seem to grip everything so well. Sand, dirt, rocks and snow. they are heavy, you can hear them, not too bad, but they are fine for me and no problem on long drives. Just fine in an '80 Land Cruiser.
'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:49 am

cruiserlarry wrote:The new BFG M/T KM2 has an excellent tread design as well, although we haven't heard much feedback about their off-road prowess or on-road noise level...
I have these, having replaced Goodyear MTRs (the old style - because the new style is odd to me). I have run the BFG ATs in the past as well. The ATs were way better on sand and mostly quiet on the road, sturdy for what they are. The MTRs were better on everything else off road, loved rocks, though on snow they were much like they were on sand, they dig in. The MTRs did not balance well, or keep their balance, and this was annoying at times. Also I made more than one go flat (almost famous for it in some circles) and all of them chunked a bit . . . but of course MTRs are not what is being asked about . . .

The KM2s are about the same as new MTRs as far as on road noise goes, not so bad, a dull rumble, and handling is nearly the same. They tend to tramline a bit on the highway but other than that, they are about the same as MTRs were. Off road they do as well as the MTRs if not better, very nice when aired down with great traction and thus far have not chunked, a big plus. They also seem to not dig into the snow so much, so in my one time in a little bit of snow with the KM2s, I didn’t get stuck, which made me happy.

Good tire and if you shop around a bit, you can get a good price.
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:11 pm

I'd say ProComp as well... I love the Xtremes even more after the drive up I40 today.
Chazz Laynedotcom

ssc

Post by ssc » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 pm

Eric,
I am sold on the KM2's. I still have BFG AT's on two of my rigs and had a set on the FJ. I got them just as they were released and did a writeup in the blue forum back in 07. The sidewall is stronger than the AT-uses the krawler sidewall. Excells in rock, snow and mud over the AT. Digs a bit in sand. They did start off quiet and have gotten a bit louder as they wear. Running them on the street is fine and they do OK in the rain. Be sure you get them properly balanced, I think it is road force balanced or something like that. I always have the weights placed on the inside. So far very even wear and no cupping. If you spin them hard in the rock you can get chunks to rip, but same as any tire. When wheeling I run them at 16PSI, never a problem and great grip. In Havasu, it is not uncommon for me to just leave them at 16.

Good luck, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I am leaning towards the KM2 right now. Now I just need to decide what size 255 or 285? I already have two of the 255 spares, so it makes that pill a little easier to swallow.

I noticed most of these tires now are load rating E. I have always used D in the past. Is there any downside to the E? Do they work as well aired down?

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:43 pm

sdnative wrote:I noticed most of these tires now are load rating E. I have always used D in the past. Is there any downside to the E? Do they work as well aired down?

Actually, I think the load range E will be advantageous for you. The FZJ80 is a very heavy truck, and with coil springs and solid axles, it tend to sway more then other vehicles on the road. The stronger load range E tire will be more stable on the road, and stronger when aired down on the trail...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “EQUIPMENT”