Need tire recommendations

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
sdnative

Re: Need tire recommendations

Post by sdnative » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:26 am

cruiserlarry wrote:Actually, I think the load range E will be advantageous for you. The FZJ80 is a very heavy truck, and with coil springs and solid axles, it tend to sway more then other vehicles on the road. The stronger load range E tire will be more stable on the road, and stronger when aired down on the trail...
A little rougher riding on the road when at normal pressure?

ralphie
Call Sign: KI6VTJ

Post by ralphie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:24 am

hey eric. I run the ProComp Xtreme Mud-Terrain 285/75R16 and they do great ! They are the best tire i've used, nice and quite in the pavement
and outstanding on the dirt! i love these tires! and there cheaper then KM2's
JUST GO ADVENTUERING!!!
TLCA # 19122
KI6VTJ
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom
must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 am

I personally still like the Hankook Dynapro MT/RT03's.They are a phenominal tire, they are quiet, and super strong. I am on the fence about going back to them when my Mud Grapplers buy the farm. I just want to make sure I can get the same tire width as the Grapplers.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

socal_rubi

Post by socal_rubi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:45 am

The 1st set of tires I put on the Jeep are BFG AT 315/75 R16 and they have been great. I've crawled over everything I tried on the trail. On the road the were fine, a little bit noisy. The only complaint I have about them is they stink in the mud. But they aren't a mud tire, and I hate mud so I'm rarely in it.

That being said, I'm ready for a new set and I've been eyeing the new Goodyear Wrangler MTR with Kevlar.

My buddy who worked for 4WD and Sport Util went on a test run of these tires for the magazine. Goodyear had a bunch of new Jeep's with those tires out at the hammer's and the crew from 4WD and Sport Util spent a day testing them. My buddy drove one of the Jeeps all day and tried everything he could to punture the side wall and couldn't, and he knows what he's doing! He tried to get it stuck in mud out on the dry lakebed and couldn't do it, even in mud up to the frame.

I don't know how they do on the street though. They're probably noisy, but I don't care about that.
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:52 am

cruiserlarry wrote:I'd suggest considering the ProComp Xtreme Mud-Terrain 285/75R16
That tire does not seem to be available in 285/75R16 or 255/85R16. They are not listed on the ProComp website either. Do you show them in your system?

DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Post by DennisDawg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:11 pm

OLLIE wrote:I personally still like the Hankook Dynapro MT/RT03's.They are a phenominal tire, they are quiet, and super strong. I am on the fence about going back to them when my Mud Grapplers buy the farm. I just want to make sure I can get the same tire width as the Grapplers.
A friend of mine has those Hankooks and loves them. I was going to get the same ones but I could not get the very low price he paid. they are nearly ther same as KM2s, so I went with BFGs based on knowing more people with them.
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:21 pm

OLLIE wrote:I personally still like the Hankook Dynapro MT/RT03's.They are a phenominal tire, they are quiet, and super strong. I am on the fence about going back to them when my Mud Grapplers buy the farm. I just want to make sure I can get the same tire width as the Grapplers.
I like those too. Didn't you get rid of them after they left you in a interesting situation one time? Or was that another tire?

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:26 pm

sdnative wrote:
I like those too. Didn't you get rid of them after they left you in a interesting situation one time? Or was that another tire?
They never failed me. My truck just got too heavy and I needed more footprint so I went with the Mud Grapplers. I highly recommend them. Check their price at Cherniss Tire World on Broadway in Chula Vista. I bet they're competitive.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

jgorm

Post by jgorm » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:37 pm

I run goodyear silent armor ATs on my dually with a 11.5' 4000+lb camper on the back (load E, stock size). They work well and drive real smooth, but i don't do much other than pavement and the graded offroad trails. I had BFG ATs on my last jeep (31"x10.5). They worked ok offroad, but not great. I then switched to bfg KM2s (33x12.5). I thought they would be much louder than they were. I could only hear them at 5mph and 35-45 mph, even with the top down. On road dry performance is not good. They lock up easily without stopping very quickly. Offroad performance was good on rocks and sand. I drove right up blowsand hill with 4 people in the jeep going slow with no issue (open dif's). Never got to drive that jeep in the snow because some idiot stole it from me. Now i have yokohama geolanders ATs (~31") on my rubicon. Dry performance is great, but thats because they are wimpy ATs and look more like a semi aggressive car tire. Offroad, they kick ass! But driving with lockers instead of 2 open diffs doesn't make it a fair comparison. They totally suck in the snow, real slippery in muddy snow / mud, and i haven't driven them in deep sand. My next tire will be the goodyear mtr with kevlar (35x12.5). I daily drive the jeep too.

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Mon May 03, 2010 8:57 pm

My opinion of the ProComp Xtreme line has only been strengthened by the last trip. They have done remarkably well over ice, through mud (that sticky clay stuff), over rocks (wet or dry), and in sand - all of which I was able to crawl through. It was amazing to be able to climb up sand hills without needing speed (I think that is an AT vs. MT thing, so YMMV).

They even fought off the sharp edge of my right rear fender that kept trying to cut through the sidewall because of the heavy load I was carrying (40 gallons of water). :lol:
Chazz Laynedotcom

Return to “EQUIPMENT”