Alkaline to Lithium Batteries

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Alkaline to Lithium Batteries

Post by OLLIE » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:32 pm

I know there are some devices that require to you only run lithium batteries. I want to get rid of all my alkaline batteries and put in lithium (i.e. AA, AAA, C, D etc) in all my devices that normally use Alkaline. Is it ok to do this or will this hurt the devices that originally run on alkaline?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

sdnative

Re: Alkaline to Lithium Batteries

Post by sdnative » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Usually the batteries for those devices that require or use lithium ion batteries are uniquely shaped and sized. So these devices couldn't just take a common AA, AAA, or 9V sized battery, could they? What advantage would you have by switching all your common sized batteries to Lithium? Alkaline are much cheaper and more commonly available.

OLLIE

Post by OLLIE » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:04 pm

sdnative wrote:Usually the batteries for those devices that require or use lithium ion batteries are uniquely shaped and sized. So these devices couldn't just take a common AA, AAA, or 9V sized battery, could they? What advantage would you have by switching all your common sized batteries to Lithium? Alkaline are much cheaper and more commonly available.
My SPOT requires the use of Lithium "AA" batteries, as does some of my laser pointers. You don't run into the problem of lithium batteries running your devices if you leave them in for a long period of time and you can get more life out of the lithiums.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:23 pm

OLLIE wrote:I know there are some devices that require to you only run lithium batteries. I want to get rid of all my alkaline batteries and put in lithium (i.e. AA, AAA, C, D etc) in all my devices that normally use Alkaline. Is it ok to do this or will this hurt the devices that originally run on alkaline?
You will not hurt the equipment, just your wallet :o . Lithium batteries tend to store better and last longer than an equivalent alkaline battery, but they cost more, too...As long as the cumulative voltage of the cells is the same, the device won't care if it's alkaline or lithium. Since they last longer, you'll have less worn out batteries to dispose of, and because they are more expensive, you'll have less income to dispose of, too :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:24 pm

OLLIE wrote:My SPOT requires the use of Lithium "AA" batteries, as does some of my laser pointers. You don't run into the problem of lithium batteries running your devices if you leave them in for a long period of time and you can get more life out of the lithiums.

Didn't know that. Maybe the former is due to the latter. Can the spot run on alkalines or can it tell the difference?
cruiserlarry wrote:Lithium batteries tend to store better and last longer than an equivalent alkaline battery
By store better, do you mean they hold a charge better when not being used or hold up to leakage better? Good to know.

OLLIE

Post by OLLIE » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:08 pm

sdnative wrote:
OLLIE wrote:My SPOT requires the use of Lithium "AA" batteries, as does some of my laser pointers. You don't run into the problem of lithium batteries running your devices if you leave them in for a long period of time and you can get more life out of the lithiums.

Didn't know that. Maybe the former is due to the latter. Can the spot run on alkalines or can it tell the difference?
cruiserlarry wrote:Lithium batteries tend to store better and last longer than an equivalent alkaline battery
By store better, do you mean they hold a charge better when not being used or hold up to leakage better? Good to know.
The SPOT can not notice the difference, it just sucks them down much quicker.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:38 pm

sdnative wrote:By store better, do you mean they hold a charge better when not being used or hold up to leakage better? Good to know.
Hold a charge better, and likely avoid leaking better because they hold a charge better....

The Spot requires Lithium batteries because it needs reliable power over a longer time period....alkaline will not last as long in a constant drain scenario like the Spot.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “EQUIPMENT”