Headworn Lights

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
sdnative

Re: Headworn Lights

Post by sdnative » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:25 pm

ssc wrote:Eric,
What is the intended use?
Ultimately, like Randy, is to have several in convenient locations. But I have to work my way up to that. For now I'll have to rely on the maglights.

I just picked up a Tikka Plus 2 at REI. They as having a pretty good sale right now. I'll see how it works out and go from there..

jgorm

Post by jgorm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:44 am

I probably have 8 head lamps. I had one with the battery on the back and they suck. When you run or jump over stuff the battery jumps around. They are much heavier, and totally suck if you want to lay your head down without taking off the light. The princton tech lights work well, but are much heavier. My 2 favorites now are the black diamond one like this

And the petzl one like this (i think its the same as in the first post)

I give them an equal rating. They both are light weight so they don't need the 3rd band to remain on your head. You hardly will know that they are on. I like having the low light leds for around camp, and the super bright 1+w for walking at night, or trying to spot a campsite. When camping, I put then on at dusk and take them off when i go to sleep. I have a LED lenser super bright mini flashlight for when i really need to light something up.

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:36 pm

You went the right way with the TIKKA. I've used the TIKKA's (various models) at work for years. They never fail to impress. I highly recommend you use the lithium batteries in them and just carry a set of alkalines for a backup.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “EQUIPMENT”