Roof top tents?

Camping gear, hiking equipment, vehicle equipment, kitchen and food preparation gear, etc.
nick_n_ii

Roof top tents?

Post by nick_n_ii » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Roof top tents.

Who uses them?

What brands are out there for them?

Any web links to the best info about them?

I know I'm asking alot be I'm in the market for one next spring.. :)
[center][b]"don't follow me unless you want a Adventure of a lifetime."[/b][/center]

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Roof top tents?

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:23 pm

nick_n_ii wrote:Roof top tents.

Who uses them?

I am an ARB distributor, and I use the ARB Simpson III rooftop tent. Many of the folks here have seen it in action atop my FJ Cruiser, at camp and on the trails. It's easy to open, easy to close, and you can store bedding inside. The weather-resistant cover keeps it dry and clean, even at freeway speeds in blizzard rains.

I feel it's the best designed and constructed of it's type. Relatively lightweight, easy to open, structurally sturdy in high winds (BorregoFest '10) and cold temps, and very comfortable. I'm 6'7", so there isn't a large selection of tents that I fit in without feeling cramped - no problem in the ARB rooftop tent: 54" wide by 96" long, and about 48" tall in the center, there's no feeling of claustrophobia. It comes with a 3" high-density foam mattress, which is really nice. The thick composite floor prevents cold air blowing under the tent from chilling the tent from the bottom up - a big issue, to me, in tents with wood floors or thinner floors.

There are several other brands available, but for me, the ARB was the best choice...

More information:

ARB ROOFTOP TENT

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

nick_n_ii

Post by nick_n_ii » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:25 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
nick_n_ii wrote:Roof top tents.

Who uses them?

I am an ARB distributor, and I use the ARB Simpson III rooftop tent. Many of the folks here have seen it in action atop my FJ Cruiser, at camp and on the trails. It's easy to open, easy to close, and you can store bedding inside. The weather-resistant cover keeps it dry and clean, even at freeway speeds in blizzard rains.

I feel it's the best designed and constructed of it's type. Relatively lightweight, easy to open, structurally sturdy in high winds (BorregoFest '10) and cold temps, and very comfortable. I'm 6'7", so there isn't a large selection of tents that I fit in without feeling cramped - no problem in the ARB rooftop tent: 54" wide by 96" long, and about 48" tall in the center, there's no feeling of claustrophobia. It comes with a 3" high-density foam mattress, which is really nice. The thick composite floor prevents cold air blowing under the tent from chilling the tent from the bottom up - a big issue, to me, in tents with wood floors or thinner floors.

There are several other brands available, but for me, the ARB was the best choice...

More information:

ARB ROOFTOP TENT

How well would that mount on a XJ?

What cost range are they in?
[center][b]"don't follow me unless you want a Adventure of a lifetime."[/b][/center]

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:29 pm

nick_n_ii wrote:
How well would that mount on a XJ?

What cost range are they in?
It can mount to any factory rook rack cross bars, aftermarket roof rack, or Thule / Yakima rack cross bars. It weighs about 120 lbs with bedding, and sits about 12" high with the cover and ladder attached. The tent sells for about $1500. (plus shipping - we can have it drop shipped from ARB to you to save some freight cost)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OU812
Call Sign: KJ6COB

Post by OU812 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:57 pm

KJ6COB

nick_n_ii

Post by nick_n_ii » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:53 pm

That Cherokee there is a "out of the box" idea...

Return to “EQUIPMENT”